Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods question...

I apologize if this has been answered, I just didn't find it on here but my questions are: Why is bread now a no-no after the band? What are some other now no-nos? Is there a ligitimate reason for the no-nos since the band is only restrictive, how do the certain foods cause bad reactions now if only the opening is smaller is it because they are too 'heavy' or 'thick' to pass thru? Is this also why I've seen some say that they hafta eat first then drink? I'm sorry if this is silly or repeating other posts I didn't know about, I was just curious. If I ask my dr then I'd be thinking that he'd tell me about no-nos just to make me eat better foods & not due to any possible reactions (paranoid, silly, I know but that's just my thoughts:rolleyes: ) Thanx!:phanvan

There are no silly questions so don't worry about that. That's why we're here. To help each other. The reason you shouldn't eat breads, Pasta, etc. is because they expand in your stomach and probably wouldn't leave much room for your Proteins, besides the fact that bread doesn't add any nutritional value to your diet. Any carbonated beverage is a NO NO. Because the carbonation bubbles in your stomach which can run the risk of band slippage or movement. Also, a lot of people can't tolerate it because its gassy and backs up on you. Never drink during a meal. Always wait at least 30 min before you drink. If you drink with meals, it will either flush your food right down causing you to not get full or depending on what you're eating, the Fluid can compact the food and get it stuck. Try picturing your new stomach as an hour glass. If you pour too much down it will not go through the hole any faster, it will just keeping building til it comes back out. I hope this helps.

I've had bread, and at times I can get a little down...like a few croutons in a salad. I agree. There are 2 issues with bread....one is that most breads turn into sugar, and you'll be needing Protein and veges rather than carbs. The other is that it often turns into a gob of starch that plugs your band or makes you feel full of just carbs. I think the bottom line is that the band causes Portion Control. You still have to decide what goes in your tummy. I'm finding that that is both harder and easier than I had thought it would be. It's a pretty interesting learning curve. I make lots of little mistakes and have lots of little successes.

Shutuplena----I see your signature advertises a phentermine forum. Are you both banded and on phentermine, and if so, how's it working for you?

Great answers so far. Isn't it great to have so much support at your fingertips!

I would add that carbonated beverages are a big no-no for the reasons stated above. Other than that, certain foods for some people tend to get "stuck" meaning they don't go through the band right away and cause a LOT of discomfort. Again, its certain foods for certain people but untoasted bread tends to be one than I think most people have trouble with bread. Most of the time its trial and error.

In addition, you SHOULD avoid foods that are don't offer much in the way of nutrition, such as bread and Pasta. Remember Protein first!

Good luck.

Hi BestyJane - I was banded on 11/14 and I am not taking Phentermine, I just happened to be searching for tickers and found that sight. To be honest, I don't even know what Phentermine is? (how embarrassing!)

I have been told that the biggest no-no of all is popcorn. At our meeting the nurse warned us about it. The hulls can get stuck in your pouch, cause a lot pain and can even damage the pouch. I have not tried it and do not plan to. Some say that nuts are hard to get down. I however, eat a lot of cashews (for the good fat in them) and have had no problem. If I eat peanuts, I make sure the skin is not on them. I have only had one fill and can pretty much eat anything I want. Real fresh bread like dinner rolls are hard to get down but sliced sandwich bread does not cause me a problem. I don't know why, but I have a harder time getting chicken down than any other kind of meat. I can eat steak easier than I can chicken. Go figure!!!!

I never had anything at all stick until my 3rd fill.

I eat popcorn all the time and have never had a problem with it. There is a thread out there regarding popcorn and most people said they can eat it just fine.

I have a tougher time with chicken than beef as well, weird huh!

Hi Kat.

There are two schools when it comes to bread... those that don't because they SHOULDN'T - and those that don't because they CAN'T.

Truly - Even with the very good restriction I have right now, I CAN eat bread - but I don't do it very much, because that fluffy white bread is more difficult to eat and it has no nutritional value.

Toast, no problem - but I eat the eggs and ham, first... by the time I get to the toast, I don't have any room, so I just don't make it anymore.

I do occassionally eat a sandwich - but not very frequently.

The beauty of the band is that it is individual to YOU. You will find out quickly what your band will and will not tolerate.

Otherwise, the food choices will be up to you. It's a blessing and a curse. It all comes back to the same old thing... diet and exercise.

It's a lot easier to keep the diet under control with the band - but the band doesn't do it for you... you still have to be the one to put the correct foods into your mouth.

Good Luck!

One other thing. My understanding is that drinking during or just after a meal makes the food go past the band, undoing what the band is there for. It's not that it fills you and keeps you from eating. It actually makes you eat more because the food doesn't stay in the small pouch. The band is made to stop solid food, not liquids or mushy foods. Drinking just before your meal is important, however, because it goes past the band and fills the main stomach. Richard

I want to reiterate what Richard just said. My fill people just went to a talk by the guy who brought lap band surgery to the USA, and he said the number one thing of all is to not drink during or for 1/2 hour after eating. He said you might as well not have had the surgery at all, for exactly the reason Richard said.

My doctor says the second most imposrtant thing is to eat solid foods and get rid of mushies, softs, and liquids, so you get that full feeling. I'm saying a sad goodbye to the last of my Muscle Milk Light. Sniff. Ditto my cottage cheese. Sniff sniff.

I have a different question. I keep forgetting to ask the doc. How are yall taking meds. Do you still crush your pills? I have 3 pills that I have to crush and hate the taste. Sure would like to swallow them whole again. Anybody got any help for this issue? Thanks

Right at first, I had to take my medicine one pill at a time, but it wasn't difficult. I did have one horsepill that I had to break into pieces at first. It didn't take long to get past that, and a couple of weeks after surgery I could take all my pills in one swallow again.

Wow. You mean I've been suffering for nothing? I can't believe I've let it go this long. Does anyone out there take Celebrex? I was told it would tear up my stomach--but that was right after surgery. I guess I thought it would be forever. I sure appreciate you sharing your experience.