Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never thought it was going to be so hard to eat slow. Was cleared for puréed/mushy as tolerated and on my list was Cheerios made soggy in milk... First couple bites were slow and I chewed, and they were small bites, but then habit set in and I shoveled THREE bites into my mouth at one!!!!! I caught myself before I swallowed and I swallowed in 3 smaller portions but man I felt like I was in 6th grade and about to miss the bus!!!!!

SW: 324 DOSW: 322 CW: 309 surgery date-7/10/13 Sent from my iPhone using VST

And I had supper at my parents tonight (fish, mashed potatoes and green beans) and I never realized how FAST PEOPLE EAT! My brother, his girlfriend, my mom and my dad were DONE with platefuls of food within 15 min. Done cleared and dishes done. I had eaten 3 bites by that time and looked up to see I was alone!!!! I pointed it out and my mom was like "wow you never realize that when your the one doing it!!"

SW: 324 DOSW: 322 CW: 309 surgery date-7/10/13 Sent from my iPhone using VST

I too am having a hard time eating slow. What happened to doing something for 21 days makes it a habit? I'm fine most of the time but at least once a week I take a "normal" bite, sometimes I catch myself with it still in my mouth and sometimes I don't! Same thing with drinking, especially if I'm trying to take a pill that I think is small enough, I still want a big old gulp of Water to get it down.

Sad to say I have not yet eaten with anyone! I'm still eating alone even though I live with my DH & DS and have grandbabies over 4 days a week!

If it's any consolation, at nearly 6 months out eating slowly is my "new normal." It feels like I eat at an average speed and everyone else eats super duper fast--when in reality, the fast eating is probably more average than how I eat.

six months sounds about what it would take me to change a half century of scarfing everything in sight like a vacuum.

I also eat fast. I think in my case it is being a nurse and having the feeling that sometimes we won't have time to finish our meal if we eat slow. I am going to have start practicing to eat slower.

My surgery was on June 7th and I am still trying to remember to eat small bites and to slow down. I think it will take some time for me to establish this as a normal pattern for me. :)

This is going to be super hard for me. I've found that for sipping, a camelback bottle (I forgot the model) helps a ton, and you don't get air, because of how it is made, but eating slowly is going to be tough... Real tough. I've ALWAYS eaten fast, as the youngest of three boys, growing up pretty poor, I had to eat fast, otherwise it was all gone (not really, but you get the idea)... I've only got 35 years of the habit to break, but it is going to be a difficult one to break.

I just looked up the camelbak water bottle on Amazon.com and the only problem is that it has a straw. I have been told by the NUT not to drink anything with a straw after surgery. Was anyone else told that?

I just looked up the camelbak Water bottle on Amazon.com and the only problem is that it has a straw. I have been told by the NUT not to drink anything with a straw after surgery. Was anyone else told that?

I was told to never drink from a straw. I have to constantly remind myself... And I had to stop using my Camelbak bottle.

The camelback eddy has a straw, but the way it is designed, you only get a tiny bit of air on the first sip, after that, no air (or negligible) at least.

I am a teacher and it is programmed in to eat in 10..... Think about it- by the time we walk to the cafeteria, go through the line (which I won't be doing anymore), and did a seat, all of our one is gone. All that is left to shovel and swallow- everything!

This is one of those areas where I have to admit my Mom was right. Growing up we had to chew every bite 20 times. We thought she was insane.

The habit stuck until college where my schedule was so tight I had to eat fast to make it to classes. Then having children...try getting a full hot meal with 2 babies by your side.

Now, that I'm sleeved, I notice how fast everyone eats. I'm working to program my kids to eat slower because I want them to be much more mindful eaters.