Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are fat people unattractive and unpoluar?

lisa the question origionally asked was not about self esteem while itotaly agree with what you say.

The origional question was does years of yo yo dieting effect the ability to lose weight? kinda like if you have been big all your life fighing the fat does it just get harder and harder to lose weight. does yo yo dieting effect the matabolism and the ability to lose weight.

The responce was kina out of context didnt really answer the question other than they was always "slim athletic and attractive" untill later life. The reply emphosized on NEVER being poular or getting dates or having a life. i mean they bare no referrence to the question of matabolism ?

and again there is a difference about how we persive our selfs and how others persive us. As sociaty does mock the big and assumes that because some one is slim they are more attractive and popular and more likely to have successful life. I BEG TO DIFFER

The origional question was from ME i asked about yo yo dieting, so i know what i meant

The reply was a shock as it bares little reference to the actual question, The questuion was about a lifetime struggle and does yo yo dieting effect the ability to lose weight.

That was not your original question. Your original Quest had nothing to do with yo-yo dieting. Please refer back to the original post:

Just a general question here would like your honest opinion.

Are Obese people unattractive and unpoular. :)

PS, Not my views please be reasure of that.

Um, I'm confused. Your original question said nothing at all about yo-yo dieting. All it asked was whether obese people were unattractive and unpopular, and people answered the question.

Just a general question here would like your honest opinion.

Are Obese people unattractive and unpoular. :)

PS, Not my views please be reasure of that.

ETA: Whoops, someone beat me to it.

sorry my mistake

Was you a big baby and a chubby child then a over weight adult?

Or was you always very slim untill you reached a certain age or had a baby or something along those lines?

I have had a lifetime of weight issues i am finding it harder and harder to lose the weight. It it true yo yo dieting can mess your body up and effect the weight loss prosess?

The above was my origional question,

I was a healthy attractive athlete until my mid 40's. I developed Type 2 diabetes and things exploded after that in huge weight gains that I did not monitor. By the time I had Band surgery in 2005 I was 58. My brain remembered the good old days, so I started behaving like that again. The weight peeled off. I started by training and completing a half marathon. Now, after plastic surgery, my old self is coming back. I still have more surgeries and work to do, but I'm now on a positive roll that will not quit. My heart breaks over obese people who have NEVER been popular, had lots of dates, rode a horse, ran a marathon, etc. It's never too late to learn and go on.

That was the reply, I feel OUT OF CONTEXT i asked if yo yo dieting made weight loss harder. The person who replied was on about how fab they was and how so call heartbroken they feel or unattractive unpopular no life obese people.

I was posing a question as to wether years of serious obesity and life time diets (yo yo) dieting can effect the ability to lose weight. So i was trying to find out the differnece between people who were always slim and peeps who have always struggled. Most of us n general can lose weight only we reagain it. And this happens over and over again. But if you have been slim all your life then suddenly gain weight what changes to make you gain weight? and how hard is it loseing is it as just as hard as us people who have struggled all our lifes who do generally just find it harder and harder? Does yo yo dieting effect the ability to lose weight.

So if you wanted an answer about whether yo yo dieting made losing weight more difficule why did you ask us if obese people were attractive and popular?

This may sound non-PC, but just out of curiosity, is English your first language? (Didn't mean for that to sound bad if it did...)

I have no idea about yo yo dieting, I hope not though, since my weight has fluxuated most of my life.

of course bloody english is my first language

I AM ENGLISH!!

I read the reply to insiuate that Obese people are NEVER popular get dtaes (meaning there unnatractive) or have a life IE they dont ride horses or run bloody marathons.

for gods sake i have three kids one has ADHD i run abloody marathon every day just getting them ready for school. I have a stunning hunky hubby and i welth of friends.

I cant see why the reply would invole these issues if they did not see them as issues. How do they have any relovence to the question?

Do you reconise the person who wrote the responce?

sorry my mistake

Or was you always very slim untill you reached a certain age or had a baby or something along those lines?

I have had a lifetime of weight issues i am finding it harder and harder to lose the weight. It it true yo yo dieting can mess your body up and effect the weight loss prosess?

The above was my origional question,

I was a healthy attractive athlete until my mid 40's. I developed Type 2 diabetes and things exploded after that in huge weight gains that I did not monitor. By the time I had Band surgery in 2005 I was 58. My brain remembered the good old days, so I started behaving like that again. The weight peeled off. I started by training and completing a half marathon. Now, after plastic surgery, my old self is coming back. I still have more surgeries and work to do, but I'm now on a positive roll that will not quit. My heart breaks over obese people who have NEVER been popular, had lots of dates, rode a horse, ran a marathon, etc. It's never too late to learn and go on.

That was the reply, I feel OUT OF CONTEXT i asked if yo yo dieting made weight loss harder. The person who replied was on about how fab they was and how so call heartbroken they feel or unattractive unpopular no life obese people.

I was posing a question as to wether years of serious obesity and life time diets (yo yo) dieting can effect the ability to lose weight. So i was trying to find out the differnece between people who were always slim and peeps who have always struggled. Most of us n general can lose weight only we reagain it. And this happens over and over again. But if you have been slim all your life then suddenly gain weight what changes to make you gain weight? and how hard is it loseing is it as just as hard as us people who have struggled all our lifes who do generally just find it harder and harder? Does yo yo dieting effect the ability to lose weight.

So this is from another forum of some sort?

I think you are over-reacting to the reply you got. You did ask two questions before the yo-yo dieting one, about whether people were always overweight or not, and I think the person was replying to that. You intended the yo-yo dieting effect to be the main question, but that's not how it read to me.

It's an example of the drawbacks of this type of communication.

Paige - my apologies. I honestly didn't mean to insult you. I couldn't tell by your typing, so I asked.

I hope you work out your dilemma, I'm still not sure what you're asking, what answer you want or how you're getting some of your views from the original answer. This is doing nothing but confusing me. Sorry I can't help you. :)

Nathalie

I read the reply to insiuate that Obese people are NEVER popular get dtaes (meaning there unnatractive) or have a life IE they dont ride horses or run bloody marathons.

Well, very often we don't do those things. I don't run marathons, physically I can't. I haven't ridden a horse in years, not since I got bigger. I'm too self-concious.

As far as dating and being popular, I think it is harder in our society if you are bigger. In my case, I'd find that even if someone was attracted to me, they were often embarrased to admit it to their friends. I've always thought I'm attractive, and usually had dates(although at times guys of questionable quality!).

Your post did hit on something I've wondered about, that being what does change for us after weight loss, and what do we hope will. I hear people talk about getting their lives back, and I know from my own experiences that being morbidly obese has affected my life in a lot of ways, not many good. So, when someone says the being overweight affects our lives, well, there is some truth in it.

I'm full on confused. When I read:

...I thought you were asking me, because I mentioned that I had not been obese/overweight my entire life. I didn't realize it was a question from somewhere else.

I don't know who you're asking, but recognize the person who wrote what response? The respose that offended you? Personally, I didn't. For all I know the response could have been posted on another board, or could have come to you in an email from a penpal. I have no clue (nor do I care) who wrote the response.

I have no idea how kids with ADHD or hunky husbands have come into the conversation. I think I must be losing it today.

Either way, you asked if we found obese peope unattractive/unpopular, and then said you could have read the response wrong. We've given you our opinion, but it appears as though your mind is already made up about the poster's intentions (a poster we don't know, and a context we're unfamiliar with, nonetheless) made up. I think part of what NGAdams is saying is that - you asked, we answered, and you seem to be arguing against our opinions, even though you asked for them.

My spelling and typing is horrendus due to sever dyslexia. i appologise for that i find this hard enough as it is so i know were your coming from.

Right lets start again.

I am two years banded really struggling. and wonderd if the years of o yo dieting made weight loss harder.

so thats simple enough yeah?

(there is history with the person who replied)

But the reply to my question really does i feel insinuate that obese people Are NEVER popular or get dates or havelifes.

I find that opinion of Big people in general offencive, i personally feel there is a difference between low self esteem and what sociaty makes you feel and with opinions like that no wonder some of us feel like that.

I personally dont think Obese people are less atractive or popular and i know big people can lead full lives.

I dont think obese people needs empty sympathy from people who view us so negetivly.

no no no this was all on another forum and i just wanted to ask do Big people have this general view that Big people are NEVER popular or get dates.

i know personally i have never had any probs.

I agree with what others said if your low in self esteem you will be miserable and negative and thats not a attractive feture. But Being Obese does not automatically make you unnatractive or unpopular.

May be i have been very lucky in life and my weight has never effected my pulling power or made me less attractive to other people. Even with Sever dyslexia i have been very succesfull in busness also and i guess my personailty has got me threw.

Ya know what the more i think about it what sad miserable lives obese people do have if they are never popular or cant find a partner or do fun things with the friends (if they have any) or children (if they have any because they are too big to to get a partner to have em!)

Guess i am a exception to the rule

I am two years banded really struggling. and wonderd if the years of o yo dieting made weight loss harder.

so thats simple enough yeah?

Yes, it can. For a few reasons. First - I don't know of anyone who lost weight, then gained back only to their pre-diet weight. Most people lose the weight, then gain back what they lost PLUS some additional weight. So it's harder in the sense that each time you erhm... "yo", you have have more weight to lose than you did the last time. It's also harder in your body's resistances to weight loss. And there have been studies done, though I don't know the results (my doctor once encouraged me to be part of them, so I know they happened) to determine whether or not significant weightloss in short periods can impact your hormones and metabolism in such a way as to make future weightloss extremely difficult. Common sense (mine, anyway) says yeah... but I can't point you to literature that conclusively supports it.

I dont think obese people needs empty sympathy from people who view us so negetivly.

I don't agree here. I'm obese, and the last thing I want is sympathy. Why would I want someone to feel sorry for me? There's nothing "wrong" with me. I'm fat, but I'm not "broken".

I'm still obese. I'm not exceptionally cute, I have little boobs, and I'm not the most socially graceful person you'd ever meet. In other words, I'm not even a "partial package", let alone a "total package". But I still get attention from men (and women, come to think of it). I'm not "popular", at least I don't think I am, but I have a lot more people want to be my friend than I care to be friends with - if that makes sense.

So for someone to say "obese people aren't attractive" isn't accurate... obesity itself isn't attractive (IMO) but by saying "people" you're having to consider a lot more than someone's body. And to say that obese people aren't popular... well for one, who cares. Popularity fell out of my fashion sometime around my sophmore year in high school. But to the point, I've never felt that I lost or failed to make a friend because of their reaction to my weight.

I'm rambling, hope that makes some sliver of sense.