Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else hate the protein shakes?

I don't understand what my problem is, when I was buying my Protein Shakes I went to the store and bought a few kinds to try, I taste tested each then chose the one I liked the best. I had my surgery on Monday July 8th... and I can NOT stand the shakes!!!! The smell of them makes me wish to hurl! Why? what happened? how do I fix it? anyone else have this issue? This morning I mixed the powder in decafe coffee and that seems to be not so bad but takes a very long time for me to drink (over an hour) any suggestions?

After my sleeve (6 months ago) I could not stand drinking shakes so I went on to different ways for my Protein and still have lost close to 110 lbs

what different ways? give me some examples, I could use some help in this area!!

yeah, I totally understand....I dont like them either now....since for FB friends turned me on to the Quest Bars I have been doing much better....after surgery I was burned out on Protein shakes...

I had to totally switch from the powders I used preop because the thought of one still makes me sick and I am 1 year out. Premier shakes from SAMS is the best I have found, 160 calories and 30G Protein and they are premixed so you can carry them with you anywhere. The chocolate is the only one I like. I didn't find those for a while though so you have to find other ways to get your protein. I was never on just liquids after surgery but was on puree so I ate a lot of pureed tuna salad (which is not as near as bad as it sounds), cottage cheese with orange sugar free Jello powder in it, refried Beans with baby bel cheese melted on it, dannon light and fit greek yogurt, etc. There are lots of alternatives. Good luck with it because you CAN DO IT!!!

I do! I despise the Protein Shakes. In fact, after trying to drink them w/o gagging for about a week I just quit drinking them. Same thing with the Protein Bars. Yuck!

I found some Protein Shots in the grocery store. Yes they are disgusting too, but if you down it real quick and can keep from barfing - they work pretty good.

Yes, haaaaaaate the shakes! :angry: I am in the puree stage (which also I cannot stand... I am a "consistency" snob.... i.e. if the consistency is NOT right ---think Jello... hate that too--- then I can't eat it...) and am sooooo over the puree. Though I like tuna salad, chicken salad, pureed makes me want to vomit. period. can't do it.

But as for the shakes, I too, feel the SAME way.... struggling to figure out with what seems to be an EXTEREMEKLY limited ( i know that's the point.... but it's still frustrating) ability to eat hardly anything at a sitting.... trying to figurte out a way to get Protein in WITHOUT these dreaded shakes!

I have tried Isopure, (premixed in bottles and powder), nectar, Pure Protein, unjury (tastes waaaay too sweet after surgery :blink: ) Boost Calorie Smart (too thick...gags me a little, plus it has only 16 g of protein, where as Premier Protein has 30).

I have been able to mostly tolerate the chocolate Premier (ready made ) protein, but just barely.... i still struggle to get two shake in, in a day!

I am just trying to keep pushing..... hoping to get to the Protein Bar stage! Oy!!!

Hate is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about protien shakes at this point in my life. My stomach can't tolerate them a at all. They make me nasuea and when I drank on an empty stomach they never stay down.

When I was drinking them I enjoyed the premier chocolate flavor I got from costco.

I don't understand what my problem is' date=' when I was buying my Protein shakes I went to the store and bought a few kinds to try, I taste tested each then chose the one I liked the best. I had my surgery on Monday July 8th... and I can NOT stand the shakes!!!! The smell of them makes me wish to hurl! Why? what happened? how do I fix it? anyone else have this issue? This morning I mixed the powder in decafe coffee and that seems to be not so bad but takes a very long time for me to drink (over an hour) any suggestions?[/quote']

Milk has good Protein. If you like milk and can tolerate it at thus time, 8 oz of skim milk has about 80 calories and 8 grams of protein. That's a good ratio of protein.

I love all these stories!! makes me feel "normal" lol! I am only 4 days post op right now, I do not like milk which is half my battle although I can tolerate flavored milk SOMETIMES. so I spoke with my doctors office today and asked them what I should do?! she said trial and error, keep trying new kinds and also said it was ok for me to get one of my shakes via coffee! that excites me a lot as this is the only way I have gotten them down. now I just need to figure out some ways to do the other 2 each day lol. next wed I move to the mushy stage or stage 2, I look forward to this because I was planning on putting the shake in sugar free pudding!!! yummmmmmmm!

I love all these stories!! makes me feel "normal" lol! I am only 4 days post op right now' date=' I do not like milk which is half my battle although I can tolerate flavored milk SOMETIMES. so I spoke with my doctors office today and asked them what I should do?! she said trial and error, keep trying new kinds and also said it was ok for me to get one of my shakes via coffee! that excites me a lot as this is the only way I have gotten them down. now I just need to figure out some ways to do the other 2 each day lol. next wed I move to the mushy stage or stage 2, I look forward to this because I was planning on putting the shake in sugar free pudding!!! yummmmmmmm![/quote']

Have you tried the unflavored by powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury? It still has a slight flavor but if you add it to crystal light its good also you can add it to your foods. I make pudding Jello coffee with it I use it in Soups, mayo, cottage cheese...just adjust the amount to your taste but every bit helps. Their website has a lot of great ideas and recipes...unjury.com...good luck!

Also Chike makes a very yummy iced coffee Protein plus energy..taste better mixed with Water not milk

I also had a shift in my taste for Protein Drinks post surgery. couldnt keep em down the smell was killer. i found the premeir choc shakes and if i add ice to it so it kinda thins down i can actually drink it. my dr told me that if theres more than 20 grm of Protein in it(they have 30) to make it last over an hr since the body can only absorb 20grms in an hr.... during the puree stage i looked for Soups with more protein then pureed them like split pea bean with bacon or chicken enchilada.... also couldnt stand the Isopure or the Protein Shots or jello...and for some reason anything with the artificial sweeteners tastes really bitter to me now...and i was a bonified diet coke addict pre surgey.

Protein Shakes are killing me... Cant stand the smell, taste anything... Im 4 months out just got home from the hospital , had a leak worse 31 days of my life and the stent i have now is hell... Only think I can drink is G2 every thing else is just nasty when it comes to protein.... We have little stomachs Protein is heavy and 64 oz of Fluid when our stomachs are like 5?? Total loss .... I am a pepsi addict and all I want to do is just pop a can and guzzle it or a big cup of ice Water and chug it down... Sipping sucks!!! And Im not finding anything I can handle eating either ugh