Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't believe I have been off the boards for 9 days! I'm doing ok. Up 20 pounds, and holding. Sheryl, Sounds like your proactive moves toward life quality are paying off, and I understand your looking for a drug to even things out... I really like my drug... Citalopram, 10mg, the first few days I had some anxiety, but very quickly evened out. I feel so much better. Just a little better, which is just what I wanted. The doc said this low a dose will be easy to get off of if decide to do that. This is the first antidepresent I have ever taken (although Im sure I have self medicated in other ways...) I like it. I could see how I am a little TOO excited to take it in the morning. I feel like the grief centered depression has smoothed out a little... just enough. My libido was already heading down... but my ability to orgasm has slowed down, and the actual feeling has really gotten dulled. > sad face here <. But I feel so much better, that the trade off is not that harsh.... hope I can train myself out of this slump.....

Nice to hear from so many. We had a storm my power was out and just back on in the middle of the night.

My date was epic good. I am so glad I pulled myself out of the slump to go. We went dancing and had alot of fun!

Our power was out for a bit as well - that was some crazy wind wasnt it. Glad we are getting a bit of rain for once.

Do you guys have issues with acid? I had terrible gerd prior to surgery - as did my husband, he had a hiatal hernia that they repaired at the same time as surgery and has never had to take a ppi or other form of acid reducer. My gerd has always been bad, but it is so bad now that if I miss one omeprazole within a couple of hours I am in agony - and often times I can still feel the acid even with the medicine - it seems like it is getting worse.

I did a bit of reading and it looks like sleeves can make the acid issue much worse - how did I not know this?

The funny thing is when posed the silly hypothetical question of what would you do in the event of a zombie apocalypse - my first thought is Oh damn I need to go rob the pharmacy for every proton pump inhibitor and every antacid they stock! And make sure I have all my eyeglasses haha!

Long term acid issues were one of the risks I grappled with when deciding on sleeve. I got so lucky, only time I get it is when I eat too much volume or too spicy.

Aw shucks - Thanks Kim ;) and I guess I am a bit worried about what that acid can do after reading up on it all a bit. Even one of the pharmacists give me the hairy eyeball when I pick up my omeprazole scrip - every time she tells me you aren't supposed to take that long term - and I tell her that my nutritionists and surgeon tells me I will probably be on it for the rest of my life.

One of the reasons I am getting more worried is that I am much more frequently finding acid regurgitating up into my mouth, in all body positions, not just lying down - often times it happens when I am asleep and I have aspirated acid - it is not a pleasant way to wake up - choking and sputtering having sprayed stomach acid out through the nose. Very hard to fall back asleep.

Hmm - back to the research.

wondering if revision surgery is an option because of the acid? anyone know if a RNY or a DS makes the acid stop?

Back to the research.

rny revision solves acid problem. I don't think the DS does, but that new DS (fewer side effects) interests me. I am 10# over goal and so of course not looking into revision... but I guess I always have it in the back of my mind...

Sleeve Plication solved the acid issue, but good luck finding anyone who will do one on you, or getting insurance to cover it! My acid is awful, I cannot ever miss a dose of prevacid.

Going to see an endocrinologist to see if something else is going on that would explain my slow/nonexistent weight loss.

Saw my neuro this morning, got blood drawn to check levels of B, D, and a full thyroid panel, she also got me a referral for PT. So, all good things.

I'm disappointed that my photos from my big Italy trip are going to show a fat woman :(

Am receiving some pretty contrary information regarding diet and MS, it is accepted fact that MS is not just an autoimmune disorder but probably a metabolic disorder. There are two major diets and a bunch of anecdotal ones. The two significant diets, that have been researched and put into effect by Doctors and scientific method and academic rigor, are the Wahls Protocol and the Swank diet. BUT, here's the problem - The Wahls diet advocates for the nutrition found in clean animal products (no grain, no GMO, organic, no hormones, etc etc), Dr Wahls is a huge proponent of bone broth, organ meats, raw milk, no grains, lots of good fats. Whereas the Swank diet says exactly the OPPOSITE! No red meat, lots of grains, no animal fats OR coconut oil. The Swank diet is basically like those vampires from the Twilight books, it may keep you alive, but you'll never really enjoy a meal again. You can only have white fish, olive or flaxseed oil, a couple of nut varieties, most veggies and a little fruit. Oh and tons of grain. wtf.... Well, I personally can't have grains because they make me feel awful, so that means that I would have to have a piece of broiled whitefish with olive oil, some roasted veggies also in olive oil, a small apple and that's it. Now, that sounds perfectly delicious, but not for every meal, every day, forEVER. No chocolate, no coconut milk or coconut ANYTHING, no red meat (including pork and all sausages), no other fats like avocadoes or cashews.... this sux.

And I am quite emotional about beginning my treatment, with the disease modifying drug. There are no support networks for MS patients who start DMD, like there are for cancer patients who start chemo.

Very interesting Florinda - and chin up darlin, keep fighting the good fight - you are doing what you need to do to take good care of yourself. The SWANK plan sounds like anything but - it sounds terrible. Makes me think of one of my clients when I lived in NYC who went on a raw macrobiotic diet to help combat Lyme disease and she just started looking like death warmed over - like she had been drained of blood - then another client came waltzing in how had been doing Atkins for the first time looking fit as a fiddle, rosy cheeked - and quite slim.

I found a doc closer to us who looks like he has significant experience with revision - I think I might see if I can attend one of his seminars to ask about the gerd issues and a RNY - I am scared of having to get a manometry (hubby had to have it and said it was the worst experience of his life - its where they thread sensors through your nose down your esophagus to place sensors for overnight study, his desciption of it is terrifying and hubby is no puss by a long shot lol)

though I am more scared of Barretts esophagus!

I am SO afraid of Barrett's esophagus! What can be done for it? It is extra concerning to me now as the acid may be playing a role in my metabolic reactions which in turn effects my MS.

The Swank diet sounds like pure torture but the alternative is disability. if I look at a burger and think, "Mmmm, tastes like wheelchair..." that puts things in a different light.

I am SO afraid of Barrett's esophagus! What can be done for it? It is extra concerning to me now as the acid may be playing a role in my metabolic reactions which in turn effects my MS.

The Swank diet sounds like pure torture but the alternative is disability. if I look at a burger and think, "Mmmm, tastes like wheelchair..." that puts things in a different light.

You are such a good cook, I think you will find some wonderful ways to put this thing together and shine! Maybe it will even help the acid.... Have you tried all the grains out there? I have been eating spelt, einkorn and Kamut to good effect.... bean flours, rice, Pasta are all on the plan (If you can eat them) avocado and olive oil or walnut oil are permitted in your fat allotment... 3 eggs a week, or lots of egg whites.... best of luck to you.... I think you can do it!

How is everyone doing? I just started the Wellbutrin... definately feeling it (the adjustment period for new drugs is always rough for me) but I am committed to sticking it out.

I met with my counselor from last year and while I like her to monitor my meds, I am just not sure that she is the right counselor for me at this point. I feel that I am much more grounded in my real life, real world, doing what I have to do and just making the best of things and she seems disappointed that I am not focused on future dreams. I get her point, but being a dreamer has not really paid off that well for me in the past. :) Making a huge life upheaval (such as moving to a sunny climate) sounds very appealing but it would have the consequences of losing my whole day to day social network. What people don't always get is that while I am very extroverted and meet people very easily, true relationships form slowly.

My real problem right now is work. I am so overwhelmed with a set of problems I don't know how to solve. I hate that. :(

More importantly, I am pretty burned out on work. I am grateful to have a good career, but it just doesn't suit my personality very well anymore.

I got my pony back that I sold a year ago. I know, so much for downsizing. :) He is awesome though.

So, going on third date with new guy - he likes to dance. I have been a reluctant dater but I am glad he hasn't given up on me because we have had fun! Truth is I would like to have a real relationship but of course who knows if a few dates will turn into anything.

Kim, I can't eat grains of any kind, they make me feel drunk and soporific and bleery. Also, no avocados, no real amount of nuts, no coconut oil, tiny amounts of fatty fish like salmon or sardines, no dairy of any kind. AND NO chocolate. Basically, this diet is steamed vegetables and white fish and supplements. F.M.L. Who can live like that?? And more importantly, how is it possible for the two diets, Swank and Wahls, to show such significant improvement in people, yet be utterly diometrically opposed? Swank's claim to fame is that they have been tracking patients for over 50 years, which is impressive. But Wahls has been using scientific method and academic rigor and is herself a doctor, and has shown significant success for over 8 years and is now pursuing clinical trials. It feels like Jack Sprat.

Kim, I can't eat grains of any kind, they make me feel drunk and soporific and bleery. Also, no avocados, no real amount of nuts, no coconut oil, tiny amounts of fatty fish like salmon or sardines, no dairy of any kind. AND NO chocolate. Basically, this diet is steamed vegetables and white fish and supplements. F.M.L. Who can live like that?? And more importantly, how is it possible for the two diets, Swank and Wahls, to show such significant improvement in people, yet be utterly diometrically opposed? Swank's claim to fame is that they have been tracking patients for over 50 years, which is impressive. But Wahls has been using scientific method and academic rigor and is herself a doctor, and has shown significant success for over 8 years and is now pursuing clinical trials. It feels like Jack Sprat.

this is the one I was looking at.... http://www.swankmsdiet.org/the-diet/

Your diet will consist of no more than 3 teaspoons (15 grams) of saturated fat per day.

Your diet should contain a minimum of 4 teaspoons (20 grams) unsaturated fat (oil) and must not exceed 10 teaspoons (50 grams) daily. (5 grams = 1 tsp.)

The following fruits contain unsaturated fatty acids and must be counted in the daily oil allotment:

• Avocados. 1/8 = 1 tsp. of unsaturated fat (oil) = 5 grams
  • Olives. 3 medium black = 1 tsp. of unsaturated fat (oil) = 5 grams

olives. 6 medium green = 1 tsp. of unsaturated fat (oil) = 5 grams

Fatty fish contains unsaturated fatty acids and must be counted in your daily oil allowance. You are allowed 50 grams (10 tsp.) per day.

• Tuna, canned in oil -- 2 oz. = 1 tsp. oil (5 grams)
  • Tuna, canned in oil, rinsed & drained -- 3 oz. = 1 tsp. oil (5 grams)
  • Salmon, Chinook -- 1 oz. = 1 tsp. oil (5 grams)
  • Salmon, Coho -- 2 oz. = 1 tsp. oil (5 grams)
  • Trout -- 2 oz. = 1 tsp. oil (5 grams)
  • Sardines, canned in oil -- 1 oz. = 1 tsp. oil (5 grams)
  • Herring -- 1 oz. = 1 tsp. oil (5 grams)
  • All dairy products must be non-fat or contain no more than 1 gram of saturated fat per serving. The recommended daily amount is two (2) servings.

The white of the egg contains no fat. The yolk contains 5 grams of mostly saturated fat. You are allowed three eggs per week, but no more than one per serving. One complete egg = 5 grams of saturated fat.

..and yes... no coconut oil.... It is a very restricted diet, but heads up! There are some goodies in it... to bad about the grains... I didn't see anything about beans.... bean flours are pretty good to cook/bake with... I have made some great dishes with garbanzo or white bean flours.... best of luck...