Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Peeps' date=' y'all will not believe this!! I weighed this morning. 155.4. Which for the week makes 2.6 I think!!!!! So amazing. Glad to go into vacay at a low so I will have a losing mindset! Lol.[/quote']

That is really super! What is your total 5:2 loss at now? Have a great vacation.

Georgia! You are the poster child for 5:2! So great! I had a small bounce(.4) for the last two days, but fasting today (sunday) one last time before vacay starts tomorrow.

Georgia! You are the poster child for 5:2! So great! I had a small bounce(.4) for the last two days' date=' but fasting today (sunday) one last time before vacay starts tomorrow.[/quote']

Haha! She is isn't she? If I didn't like her so much I'd be jealous and calling her names under my breath! :P

FYE hope your vacation is great too!

We are gearing up for back to school here.

Shopping, hair cuts etc...

Haha! She is isn't she? If I didn't like her so much I'd be jealous and calling her names under my breath! :P

FYE hope your vacation is great too!

We are gearing up for back to school here.

Shopping' date=' hair cuts etc...[/quote']

Did that yesterday with the Grands. Almost did me in!! I'm the runner since Mom ( theirs) had to work two 16 hr shifts every wknd! ;(.

I've lost 10 since starting, if my cast weighs 2 lbs.

I love this way of eating. It seems very natural to me!

So, I have talked about this on other threads. Full time I only have my three (5 year old twins and 4 month old) at home but I have four stepdaughters (and one stepson) that have lived with us off an on over the years and visit for ten weeks a year. My stepdaughters are all VERY petite - I mean, they range in age from 13 to 23 and none of them weighs more than 115 pounds. One of them, 19 years old, is anorexic (5'5" and barely holding 99-102) - she has a number of very serious issues and all the girls grew up in a house where their mom was either in full out binge or deprivation diet mode. There has never been a happy medium or healthy standard set for them. Complicating matters is that she's one of those "I'm fat, I'm ugly, I need to diet" people and is constantly vocalizing her insecurities and issues to the girls. So, the first time I heard my youngest stepdaughters say they were fat, they were five and six, respectively.

When I got sleeved, nobody knew but my husband and my mom. I told two friends that happened to call me while I was in Mexico. I was very private about it - more because of my husband than my own feelings about the matter. I didn't see the kids until I was about four months post op and by then I was down fifty pounds or so. But I think that because it was the holidays and I was cooking for fifteen (again, endless stream of guests) nobody really paid any attention to my food intake. I noticed the first summer visit after surgery that the girls were emulating my eating habits. At that point, I was roughly a year out and could hardly eat more than a scrambled egg in a sitting. So I had to sit down and talk food with the girls - to explain my surgery and to explain my eating habits. I showed them MFP and how much I eat in the course of a day. It did not help that their mom was feeling very competitive with me and because she didn't know about my surgery, was attempting to live on five Protein Shakes and hours of exercise each day to shed weight at the same time I was going over this with the girls. I noticed that from that point, while all the girls are still not fully healthy about their habits or the way they talk about their bodies, they do seem to eat a more balanced way. Excepting my anorexic stepdaughter, of course. When I fast, they don't even notice. They simply assume that I'm drinking Protein coffee and getting in my calories. They no longer try to skip meals to be thinner after a night of overindulging.

I'm sorry to be so long winded about this (as if you'd expect anything else from me?!) but it's really important to me. Watching their mom totally screw with their heads because she's so preoccupied with herself has been a serious wake up call. My kids - all of them - never hear me talk badly about my body or my weight. I do talk about calories sometimes but for the most part, they see me eat whatever I want, in moderation, without crazy diets or self hatred. No matter how angry I get at the scale, my kids don't know it and I never talk about it. It's really changed how I treat myself, by extension, because I don't want them growing up with the idea that being thin and pretty is the most important and valuable thing a woman can be. They will hear me say, "let's make a healthier choice" rather than "don't eat that food" when it comes to picking something to eat. And because I bake so much, they're actually unimpressed by cakes, Cookies, candies and freshly baked breads. It's nothing special to them, and thankfully, they'd rather have homemade than anything you can buy in the store, so I don't have kids clamoring for Twinkies or Oreos because they'll just ask me to make what they like best, anyway. Then they'll eat one or two of whatever it is and be on their way and done with it, while I give the rest away to other folks. :)

However, it only takes ONE comment to damage them! My youngest stepdaughter (all of 110 pounds) pinched her stomach in front of my then four year old last summer and called her tiny fold of skin "ugly and gross" in her hearing. My little girl is obese. Not due to poor eating habits - I've watched the whole "nature vs. nurture" thing on her weight from birth - she's just bigger than other kids and not for lack of exercise or because she chugs soda and eats candy all day. In any case, I now have a five year old that "hates" her number on the scale - something I've NEVER attached any significance to - because she's old enough and smart enough to do the math to realize she outweighs her twin brother by 17 pounds. Well, she's grown each year and he's only gained six pounds since he turned two. I can't help that! Now I have this kid that without really understanding what it means is unhappy about her weight and who pinches her stomach and says it's ugly.

It's absolutely heartbreaking. So all of this to sum up and say BE MINDFUL. Explain your surgery and eating methods when they're old enough, encourage them to love themselves, shower them with real compliments that have value (not just, "You're so pretty" but also "I love how much you practice your spelling" and "I love that you didn't say mean things when you got frustrated with your twin.") because everyone around your kids is going to expose them to their own personal issues. My little ones start kindergarten in a month and I know my kids are already going to be bigger than the other kids because they have a late birthday (November babies) and my daughter is just plain solid and will likely be the biggest girl in the room. While I do worry, I also want to be 100% sure to make her know that there is so much more to being a good and happy person than our appearance. But other kids? They're mean as hell and I'm definitely worried that she's going to have problems. But I do everything I can to be sure that I fend off as much of that at home as possible. Once they're older, they notice for sure. I didn't say a word and my stepdaughters immediately tried eating like me. It's taken two years of tackling the issue head on to get them to realize that starvation or fad diets are bad for the body and impossible to maintain long term.

Cheri, as always thank you so much for your insightful and well-thought out response to my question. It is heartbreaking to hear a daughter (sorry I don't have boys so I can't comment on how it feels to have a son) have any sort of negative self-image. I'm truly shocked at how much of it comes from society, as opposed to home. Prior to surgery, my husband and I never talked about our weight in front of the girls. In fact their little minds had a hard time comprehending WHY we would have surgery.

Cheri you sound like you have done a super job trying to undo what the stepdaughters mother has created. You are sweet to care and talk to them about it and I'm sorry that some of their negative talk has rubbed off on your daughter. My 12 year old spent elementary school as a little bit "chubbier" than most of her peers (a girl in 3rd grade told her "you need to wear a BRA!") but suddenly she hit about 11 years old and just spouted really tall. Her waist shrunk in and her curves started popping out. She actually has a beautiful figure but it's not stick thin. I definitely compliment her on way more than her looks. She is super-smart and very athletic. She has a lot of positive stuff going for her. We talk a lot about healthy eating habits, and what would be a better choice rather than the DON'T, NEVER EAT, etc. We don't buy soda or drink it, BUT I do allow my girls to order soda if we are out to eat or if they are at a friend's house. I'm smart enough to know that completely and total deprivation CAN ultimately lead to obsessing and overeating of whatever is being restricted.

As I said the girls DO know about surgery and honestly I was worried when I started the 5:2 plan, but now that it's been almost 3 weeks I have noticed that really there is no need to explain or make excuses. So that has been a big relief.

Thank you again Cheri. You are wonderful!

I'm pretty sure Georgia is losing my share of weight, too. ;)

Congrats to all of you with the great numbers this past week!

~Cheri

Georgia you are my shining star! I want to be like yo (when I grow up...lol)!

FYE - lowest number for how long... you deserve that holiday - enjoy!

Laura, 160 - I remember that number before this bounce came back, feels great doesn't it!

CLK, I agree with M2G - you are such the voice of reason. I always look out for your comments and have learnt a lot from them over the last 3 years... just an awesome lady!

M2G - you and your daughters (hubby too) are beautiful inside and out, you don't need the scale to confirm that, for sure! I'm glad that the 5:2 has gone smoothly for you, and hopefully you are feeling the same benefits as us, with or without the scale dictating to you! Keep up the good work my lovely friend.

Sorry if I've missed anyone!

Right, question? So I saw 160 a week or so ago during the really hot weather, not I'm back to 162 - 163 - could that of been a loss via Water weight, due to the heat? Or does the heat make you/me/us retain water? I did feel really bloated and my rings felt tight then, and now...?

Another stupid (forgive me) question? As you all know I was told I was peri menopausal several years ago and I was told that my ovaries had all but pack up (GP, bless him!). I went for a very long time with no aunt flo - as expected. Also, I had no symptoms or moods or cravings that I would normally relate to hormones.

Now, since my TT this has changed. I have had several visits from Aunt flo and I am getting all the pre menstrual symptoms again too - little spots around my nose (Yea, attractive I know), moodiness, feel like crying, craving for sweet things, tiredness even though I am not in work and the most worrying I suppose, tummy cramps and my tummy is super swollen (not TT swollen)!

I am really at a loss to understand why and how this da*n body of mine actually works and it is really frustrating!

I haven't been to see my GP - I thought that the operation might have nudged my body a little, even though my surgeon said he had never heard of it before... anyway, months later it is still going on. I am wondering if I should get more bloods taken to see how the hormone levels are panning out... will have to be after my hols.

I am sticking to the 5:2 religiously and not seeing any movement; this coincides with the symptoms... could this be why there is a lack of movement? Can the cycle really return after being dormant for so long?

All very strange, don't cha think!

I'm pretty sure Georgia is losing my share of weight' date=' too. ;)

Congrats to all of you with the great numbers this past week!

~Cheri[/quote']

Hahaha! I'm seriously just working hard to get back to goal and this past week probably never even ate 1000 on any give day. Just didn't want it and was feeling poorly part of the time. I have found that I can really not eat much of real dense stuff at all so I guess I really WAS kidding myself about what I was eating.

Coops, uh, yeah, your body is retaining Fluid and maybe your MP has really kicked in now and this is the last few of Aunt Flo? Not sure how old you are so....

Can the cycle really return after being dormant for so long?

All very strange, don't cha think!

Mine was gone for 11 months... then came right back for about 6, then by-by!

It is so good to read how everyone is doing. I just got back from my mini vacay and am scared to death to step on the scale tomorrow morning. I have been eating everything and it feels like a lot of food. :( Tomorrow the truth will be known and I will be fasting. I get hungry an hour after I eat and then I eat more.....I started taking my PPI again and i hope it's acid in my stomach causing the hunger and will need to work on the head hunger too. i am working on making food a nonpriority too.

Any advice is welcome.........

It is so good to read how everyone is doing. I just got back from my mini vacay and am scared to death to step on the scale tomorrow morning. I have been eating everything and it feels like a lot of food. :( Tomorrow the truth will be known and I will be fasting. I get hungry an hour after I eat and then I eat more.....I started taking my PPI again and i hope it's acid in my stomach causing the hunger and will need to work on the head hunger too. i am working on making food a nonpriority too.

Any advice is welcome.........

Just know that you couldn't of gain to much (if you did) in such a short time.

Protein girlie make sure you fast counts!

Gotta kick the vacation carb attack! :D