Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats "in style"?

I decided that I want to wear the items of clothes that I feel comfortable in. I honestly look good in that early 90's style of vests over white big shirts and black pants. I look nice in Rayon dresses and feel comfortable in them.

When looking for items on the internet, they are kind of hard to find. The pretty "Boho" look items on ebay, are totally my style, but my sister says that they are not "in style".

Does it really matter? Everyone wears what they want to now a-days, seems to me. From leather clad people, to lacey dressy people.

What do you think?

I decided that I want to wear the items of clothes that I feel comfortable in. I honestly look good in that early 90's style of vests over white big shirts and black pants. I look nice in Rayon dresses and feel comfortable in them.

When looking for items on the internet, they are kind of hard to find. The pretty "Boho" look items on ebay, are totally my style, but my sister says that they are not "in style".

Does it really matter? Everyone wears what they want to now a-days, seems to me. From leather clad people, to lacey dressy people.

What do you think?

Poodles, you are describing a look that I look good in and like - the big white shirts and skiny black pants/jeans with vests look. I also look great in boat or jewel neck sweaters but these are hard to find. The clothing manufacturers assume that everyone wants to show off their boobs.

The other thing is that I am a true Winter and look best in black, white, gray, and red. There are certain seasons of the year when it seems that it is raining pastels unless you are prepared to shop at the high-end clothing stores.

I only wear cotton and linen. Why is it that so many stores think that overweight women want to wear pink or baby blue synthetic garments with cute appliques of flowers, hearts or kittens on them? A woman of size who wants to save money but still look like a grown-up is sh!t outta luck!

80s have actually, officially, made their comeback. All of the "trendy" girls here at work have been sporting leggings, long sweaters w/ belts over top, and even the wide fabric headbands. And the skinny jeans tucked into the boots. And... *shudder*

I hated that stuff the first time around...

Pastels are my enemy. I'm a "fall". Try finding olive green or rust orange in December. Or July. Or any time of the year without having stupid embroidered pumpkins or sequin ghosts. Poopie.

I live in a clue-free environment when it comes to fashion. I never have to decide what to wear because I always wear the same thing: whatever is closest to me at the time I'm getting dressed.

If ignorance is bliss I live in a state of fashion-induced ecstacy.:hippie:

My wife might describe it differently. :cry

Pastels are my enemy. I'm a "fall". Try finding olive green or rust orange in December. Or July. Or any time of the year without having stupid embroidered pumpkins or sequin ghosts. Poopie.

Oh, Wheetsin, my heart goes out to you! I can imagine the horror.... pumpkin appliquees and sequin ghosts, ugh!

I was in the mood to go shopping today after my visit to my therapist. I was feeling in a better mood after she had debriefed me of all my Christmas stresses, I was in the heart of the best shopping district in the city, and we are in the season of sales.

So I went snuffling around all sorts of stores ready to buy and came home with nothing. I found out that when you visit the "fat grrl" zone of stores you will be ambushed by pastels even when it is Winter. I found out that most every top will be a Vee-neck and that the one collection of black and white pure cotton Ts that didn't have V-necks and who were from a relatively up-scale designer had designs pressed into them.

I like my clothes to be kinda plain and entirely grown-up. If I want to dress them up I want this to be my choice. I have a lot of jewellery, mostly costume, but no one can wear this over clothes that have been junked up by the manufacturer with cute appliquees, sequins and the like.

It strikes me that many clothing manufacturers treat women of size as though they were mired in adolescence or pre-adolescence. The cuteness and the baby colours, and the cheap synthetic fabrics that are characteristic of pre-teen clothes show up again in the plus grrl sizes. I personally find this very disrespectful. It's been sticking in my craw for a long, long time now.

Green has been a smart, cynical, surly old bat for some years now. She is not prepared to go to bed wearing sleepers which have Walt Dismal's characters printed on them even if they fit her and they are made of 100% pure cotton.

frankly, I don't care what's in style. If I see it in a store and I like, and buy it, I'll wear it until it wears out, whether it goes "out of style" or not.

The clothes I've made for myself were never really anything in any kind of style, but I liked them so I wore them. That was in high school when I had more confidence, and I hope to get back to that place soon.

Don't like the micro mini skirts that start 4 inches below the navel and have 5 inches of material before they stop... but that's in style, right? I don't really like the super low cut jeans either, but I do like the ones that don't cut you off in the middle, slighly lower cut. If leggings are back, I certainly wont be wearing them. I haven't seen the 80's resurface here yet, but I don't doubt it's coming... which is amazing, because the 80's is not really known for 'good looking' clothing. I remember one time my Aunt said I should cut my hair because short hair was in. I laughed at her, lol.

Anywho, I'm about being comfortable and looking good, so the things that do that together are best. :)

I am a "whatever is comfortable" person but have not had much choice so have had to be a "whatever fits"person. I complained to a clerk onetime at a store for plus sizes about all the sequins and appliques and she said she always pictured a short guy with a cigar walking through the factory picking bits and pieces of scraps off the floor and yelling at the help to put them on the big sized blouses cuz there was more room and they would have to buy them anyway! Kind of soured me on shopping for awhile! Never did understand why they thought we would all like that but everyone is different I guess. Ask me to show you my tied dyed janis Joplin shirt i got for Christmas this year! Now that is style!!

Poodles -

What's "in style" probably won't be available in any larger sized clothing anyway - or if it is, it has been so horribly disfigured by the choice of materials or the aforementioned sequins and appliques that no self-respecting adult would want to wear it, anyway.

I have always had pretty good luck finding "acceptable" clothes that fit at Catherines. They seem to have more professional and grown up clothes there - although you have to pick through the other to find them.

I have only 2 rules.

1) try everything on - because what looks good on the hanger might NOT look good on you.

2) Don't buy it if you have ANY doubts - because in the end, if you don't like it and feel good wearing it - you won't. You will put it on once or twice and then never wear it again. THAT is a waste of money.

Good luck, and may your shopping be less traumatic than mine.

:]

This thread made me laugh.

All I know is if anyone tries to get me to buy or wear "skinny leg jeans/pants/leggings" they are going to get hurt. Badly.

I watch the show What Not To Wear all the time, and it is hilarious and very informative. However, I like to watch other people's clothes get trashed on tv, not my own. I don't tell my friends or family that I like this show anymore because I am afraid they will secretly nominate me. They might think I would like to be on this show. But in reality I would have to hurt them. Badly.

My hubby says I dress like a 60 year old. I asked him if he would be seen with me in public if I wore the "boho" type style (which they say is coming back) and he said why not, I'm seen with you now.

Then I showed him this pretty dress on Ebay that I want to bid on. I said, "now isn't that just my style?" He said, "yeah, that is your style. Not saying it is a good style, but it is YOUR style."

****UGGGHHH****

Sounds like your DH needs a little smack upside the head, to me.

I would expect him to have been on the cover of GQ this month - since he is clearly a fashion expert...

Don't let him get you down. If you feel good, you will look good, too. No matter what "style" of clothes you wear.

:]

Ask me to show you my tied dyed janis Joplin shirt i got for Christmas this year! Now that is style!!

Tie Dye is my FAVORITE. I don't care if it is in style or not. I have an old tie dyed night shirt that is so worn out it is thin. I won't tell you how many holes are in it either. lol Someday I will replace it.

I definitely like to dress in style, but not 80's!! I hated that style and still do.

I like the style from the last few years, bootleg jeans, lots of sparkle, funky belts, the highest of heals. i love shoes with heals, 50 style skirts that flare out a little bit. I also like wide leg trousers with a nice button down top. In my hair i like red and blonde highlights and i often wear a headband with sparkles on it and i love eyeshadow, i often wear glitter eyeline. fun fun!

I can't wait till I can fit into all the cuter clothing, and not just be the girl with the pretty face anymore.

My hubby says I dress like a 60 year old. I asked him if he would be seen with me in public if I wore the "boho" type style (which they say is coming back) and he said why not, I'm seen with you now.

Then I showed him this pretty dress on Ebay that I want to bid on. I said, "now isn't that just my style?" He said, "yeah, that is your style. Not saying it is a good style, but it is YOUR style."

****UGGGHHH****

Never, ever listen to the fashion advice of a guy who is straight, sez Green. Everyone knows that straight guys have got bad taste; they want their girlfriends to look like hookers and their wives to look like their mommas!