Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Discouraged..... :(

I've been banded almost a year and I've lost 80+ lbs...I'm 15-20 from my goal.

I'm truly NOT trying to be offensive or condescending, but you've mentioned that, since banding in April, you've lost 20 lbs, so maybe your current way of thinking is NOT helping you?

Cindy

OK, let me get this straight. The validity of ones opinion is determined by how fast you lose? :rolleyes Hmmmm....based on my 60 lbs. in 4 months, my opinion is worth more than yours! :bounce:

Just kidding, of course. For the most part, I agree with your advice in this thread. But, I disagree about the quantity of food being limited to 1/2 c. per meal. I eat about 1 c. per meal.

Plus, I won't argue physiology with you ('cause I don't even know if I spelled it right!), but I disagree with your assertion that you will not lose muscle mass as long as you eat enough Protein and exercise.

You *can* eat too little. I'm not sure about the "starvation mode" theory, but I believe that eating too little just slows you down. If we eat *enough* healthy, whole foods, and limit sugar and fat, and get in some physical activity, most people will lose weight. Some people say, "If I could do that, then I wouldn't need the band.", But the band just makes it a little easier. A member on another board posted something this morning that is my thought for the day:

"The band is like cruise control. You can drive without it. It's a tool that makes driving easier, but that doesn't mean you can fall asleep and let it do all the work. You still have to steer the car in the right direction."

Tami

But as women, we can retain a LOT of Water, so if you let the scale fluctuations get to you, they'll drive you a bit crazy.

Cindy

I agree! Keep in mind that as women our weight fluctuates on a daily basis, depending on the time of day, and especially the time of month. So just keep that in mind. Don't beat yourself up over every pound, it will come off eventually as long as you do what you are supposed to. Good luck to you!!:clap2:

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I have a feeling I am too tight. I am going to ask for a tiny tiny unfill on the 26th to see what that does. After 3 bites of food I feel like it is up in my throat. I know it will take time to find the happy medium for me. If is just frusturating.

I am back down to 253 but the scale is stuck there. I have never been someone who is passionate about food but lately I start feeling nervouse at just the thought of it. I know after just a couple of bites I am going to feel it in my throat.

Last night at work I worked a double 16hrs. So for dinner I ran to wendy's and got a grilled chicken sandwich and Ceaser salad knowing I would break up the eatting of it over several hours. I did not eat the bread and yet after 3 bites of chicken I started PB'ing into my bag.

I want restriction but not to be in discomfort everytime I eat something. I want to feel satisfied not to have to leave the table and pace my house until it passes.

The thought of living the rest of my life with this discomfort and nausea is depressing.

At the support group here they said 1 cup of food is a good amount. I have not gotten to the support group much because I work almost every Monday and Wednesday. I had tonight off but had to work 16hrs overnight to do it and I was sleeping from noon-6pm.

I just got an e-mail from the head of the support group and am going to reply to it with my concerns. Her husband is one of the Dr.'s at my office that does the procedure.

Anyways thanks for your suggestions and I will keep them in mind.

Thanks

Shell,

Be sure to update us after your unfill. I have been in the frustrated position that you are in, as have many, many people on this board, and I think you will find the unfill will help alot. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be much of an unfill either. I had .3cc's removed and it made a huge difference.

I also want to say though, that I usually have to take a bite or 2 of my food and wait a bit to be able to finish my meal. We call it "first bite syndrome" around here, so even if the first couple of bites get stuck after your unfill, see if you don't feel better to eat a bit later. :)

Ladies I know this sounds crazy but I can't wait until my next fill, while I dont want the "discomfort" or being too tight I definitely need more restriction.

Some habits are hard to break...like wanting to eat when you're really not that hungry.

I go for my second fill tomorrow and I will be joining the gym in February. My goal this year is to drop 30 lbs. Wish nme luck!!!!!!!!!

Well, let me just add my 2 cents worth in here also. I was banded in April of last year and to this day (9 months) have only lost 30 lbs. I was very, very tight for a long time and lost nothing. When I finally hit "my" sweet spot a couple of months ago and started eating more, I finally started losing weight. I eat a cup or even more at every meal......and I snack. My body needs the calories. I'm not going to argue who is right or wrong, just wanted you to know what happened with me. I have alot of medical problems and YES they do contribute to whether you lose weight or not. IT IS NOT easy for us. I exercise ALOT and have for the last 15 years. I also eat right......I'm still a slow loser. We're all different.......and it's not as simple as just eating right and exercising for some of us. Hormones which are a major factor for me are a bitch to control and wreak havoc on your system. It has taken me years to get some control over them to even lose a little bit of weight. For me, I don't care if it takes me 10 years to get to goal as long as the scales are moving in the right direction.