Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New - doctor recommeded I join

So I am new to this group. My doctor actually recommended that I join. I knew which hospital I wanted to do my surgery through, just wasn't sure which surgery. My doctor has suggested the sleeve, and from all the research I have done I think I am making the right decision. Is anyone anxious over this whole process? I still have a lot to do (nutritionalist, psychologist, etc) so I don't anticipate having surgery till October. But I do find myself worrying about life after surgery. I have ever confidence that the weight will come off. I am more worried about how different my life will be. What going out socially will be like, attention from others, the questions that will come from the weight loss. Does anyone else feel this way? If so, what has helped you through the process?

From my experiences it has been wonderful. I love it when men look at me, in the past I would get really upset....Now it's like, bring it on....LOL It is so much easier to get around and go do things without carrying around all that old weight. My body is much healthier and my blood values are all in the normal range. This is the best decision I have made for me. I've also had no complications at all.....so I feel very fortunate. i live one day at a time. :P

So I am new to this group. My doctor actually recommended that I join. I knew which hospital I wanted to do my surgery through' date=' just wasn't sure which surgery. My doctor has suggested the sleeve, and from all the research I have done I think I am making the right decision. Is anyone anxious over this whole process? I still have a lot to do (nutritionalist, psychologist, etc) so I don't anticipate having surgery till October. But I do find myself worrying about life after surgery. I have ever confidence that the weight will come off. I am more worried about how different my life will be. What going out socially will be like, attention from others, the questions that will come from the weight loss. Does anyone else feel this way? If so, what has helped you through the process?[/quote']

Welcm! This is a great place to learn about the sleeve as well as other procedures that people have come from and then revise to the sleeve now. When I was starting out I consider the lap band as well but whenever I was making my appointment for my first weight loss surgery meeting the lady told me about the sleeve. So I did a lot of research on the internet as well as YouTube videos and then I found this forum and I'm glad that I did. I found Tons of information here, tons of veterans who know the ins and outs and because of that I've been satisfied in my choice to have the sleeve done. Right now I'm still jumping through the hoops of nutrition, psychology and all the lab work and stuff like that so right now I'm excited I know what I want and I can't wait to be on the losers bench and one day I hope to see you there too so good luck and welcome! Dee Dee.

Welcome Brighteyes, you can find a lot of support and information here. Good luck with your surgery.

Brighteyes I am in the same place you are right now. Same questions. I know I will lose, but I also know I love to eat and this will be hard. Aiming for October also. Keep in touch...

Welcome BrightEyes! I was completely anxious over the whole WLS thing....talking to my husband helped....he's grilled me about this on and off for the last 3 months.....when I get frustrated with him, he tells me he's just making sure I can answer all his questions....he figures if I stumble, then I'm not ready LOL The thing that got me past most of my anxiety is a pros/cons list.....the pros outweigh the cons....I am waiting for approval, and the 3 months have flown by...the best advice I can come up with is learn as much as you can.....the veterans, newbies, and pre-ops are very helpful on here....Good luck, and welcome!

Welcome! My suggestion: read. There are lots of books on Amazon about the sleeve surgery. The more you know . . .

I love it when men look at me, in the past I would get really upset....Now it's like, bring it on...

112ek9x.jpg

Best decision I ever made! Def different and sometimes at parties ect it sucks a little, but soooooo worth it!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and insights. I seem to be on a bit of an emotional roller-coaster the last couple days. It's a good thing I have three months worth of appointments to work through all this. Parts of me feel so guilty that I have put on the weight I have and am using this surgery as a way to take it off.

Don't feel guilty. We all have our reasons, excuses and stories of how we got here; this is a great tool to change our life. I'm just thankful we have this "group of friends" here to experience and share in this with us.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and insights. I seem to be on a bit of an emotional roller-coaster the last couple days. It's a good thing I have three months worth of appointments to work through all this. Parts of me feel so guilty that I have put on the weight I have and am using this surgery as a way to take it off.

You'd only have to feel guilty if you weren't doing anything about the weight you've gained. You're about to undertake something huge, and despite what some of our families, friends, and coworkers may tell us, it certainly isn't the easy way out. Congrats on your decision!

Welcome!