Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Haters

I am a firm believer in LC'ng..... like all said before me... feel better, no heartburn, no cravings, lost weight, carbs are triggers for me... LC'ng also helped my PCOS (it straightened out my periods and allowed my body to ovulate, which in turn produced my miracle baby.. who is now 3......

I view the band to be a FORCED committment which is what I need, because what happens with me is that I eat one bite of something and then my appetite goes bonkers and I eat, and eat, and eat..... it is sick really........ but is the exact reason why I have lost over 80lbs 3 separate times since 1999 doing low carb and why I'm once again back to my starting weight.

Atkins was the only diet that worked for me - so I am trying to do roughly atkins like foods...my downfall is my friggin' sweet tooth - THAT chocolate goes down way too easy, while everything else has band limits...

For me personally, I have stuck to a low card/low fat/high protien diet and I think it has helped me loose at the rate I have.

I just got back from the store, I stocked up on nuts and green Beans and some other canned veggies. Also I stocked up on lean meats, chicken breast, turkey breast, etc. and some nice cheeses and lean lunch meat slices to make salads with. They didn't have any cottage cheese at the store though darnit. I'll keep you guys updated, I'm going to weight myself in the morning.

I'm to be banded on January 15th. My 2 week pre-op diet is 3 Protein shakes a day. Post-op I am allowed Protein only for the 1st month. Then the next month I can add one veggie a day. No fruits until month 3 then once a day. I'm not allowed ANY carbs until I have lost 75% of my excess weight.

But man-o-man is it hard for me. I am a TOTAL carb-a-holic!!

WOW! That's a pretty brutal diet, but I guess your doc has his reasons for it. Mine told me I would be on a low carb, low fat diet. I don't think I could make it with no carbs at all, but I know I have to cut them to the bone, so maybe your doc is right about it.

I am a carb addict too. Since banding I've been semi-consciously using the PCOS diet program. I read it a few years back and tried it but I had a majorly hard time keeping my portions down-- I'd get hungry then binge on anything/everything.

The basic premise is simple- Carbs are allowed, but they must be "good" carbs, you know, whole grain type stuff. Also, all carbs must be paired with nearly the equivalent amount of Protein, or the Protein has to be higher then the amount of carbs when you eat it together. The book said that this would keep your blood sugars from dipping too low and making you hungry. Seems to be working now that I have the band and don't eat as much.

Hubby was eating a cinnamon bun today and I was looking at it and the only thought on my mind was " man, that would wreak havoc with my system right now." I just hope that mentality remains long term!!!!

I started LCing about 5 years ago. First book I read was Protein Power and have since read all of them. I had the most success with LCing but like most "diets" I've tried, my weight has always crept back up. I still try to watch the types of carbs I eat and choose ones that have a lower impact as I am glucose intolerant (borderline diabetic).

I've noticed that a lot of posts from bandsters mention a high Protein, low fat, low carb diet. I have been confused by this because many foods that are lower in fat have added sugars to make up for flavour, hence they are usually higher in carb. My experience has been that it is very difficult to low fat and low carb diet at the same time.

Can anyone clear this up or provide more clarification for me? I was hoping to continue LCing after being banded but I currently eat butter, full fat dressings, full fat sour cream, whipping cream ( you get the picture - full fat varieties not low fat).

:help:

Janice

Most of the foods I can't eat post-band are carbs, thank goodness: rice, potatoes, bread, Pasta, pizza, Cookies, cake, etc. The one thing I can still eat a whole bunch of is Cheetos. I love Cheetos. They are not safe in the same house with me, so I don't buy them any more.

I really like the South Beach diet. It focuses on healthy Protein, lean. Veggies, fruits and healthy carbs, like whole grain bread, brown rice, whole wheat spaghetti.

Audree

I think it's quite a healthy way of eating. It has lots in common with Dr. Oz's You on a Diet, too. They are just healthy eating and can be done longterm and is for everyone-even those who don't need to lose weight.

White flour, white potatoes, white rice, white bread, etc. have NO redeeming value.

Most of the foods I can't eat post-band are carbs, thank goodness: rice, potatoes, bread, Pasta, pizza, Cookies, cake, etc. The one thing I can still eat a whole bunch of is Cheetos. I love Cheetos. They are not safe in the same house with me, so I don't buy them any more.

Fellow Cheetos addict here too! :help: The funny thing is, I didn't much care for them until after I got my band!

I am just lucky to not have that craving anymore. If I slip, then I will be off again, but for now its all good.

Cheetos are the devil. I would always gain 10 lbs of Water because of the salt... but they are good... especially when you dip them in sour cream!!!

I'm on the carb wagon with you all. I found some great low carb, bariatric friendly recipes at bariatricbytes.com. There were tons of them and most recipes listed the nutrition information (not all though). Best of luck to all!

Since not eating carbs, I've noticed that my vision doesn't get blurry any more! Also, I'm not hungry all the time any more either and I haven't even had a fill yet!

OH, the vision thing too! I'd forgotten about that. My vision, even though I had LASIK 9 years ago, is blurry when I'm carbing out. When I low carb, it clears right up.