Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I a bad person for doing this and will it mess me up in the future?

I have been on liquids since 2 weeks before surgery and this week as well but honestly I don't think I can anymore so sick of the Protein Shakes and stuff. Now I'm kind of trying out puree soft foods but not following her orders. I felt like I could so I'm trying it out is that bad ? The nut have me a paper saying to do 2 weeks liq. After surgery 2 weeks puree and 2 weeks soft food. I've read so many different diets from others some have soft food right few days after surgery! Do you guys think it's bad that I'm doing this? I've been strict with sugar and carb intake and still doing Protein shakes. Lost 25 from surgery date (may 23)

Yes. You chose your surgeon, you should be following their guidelines.

Yes. You chose your surgeon, you should be following their guidelines.

You aren't a bad person but you also aren't going to find too much support here for going against doctor's orders.

I figure I've eaten enough for two people for 41 years, in a few months I'll be able to eat anything I want again, I can certainly sacrifice for a few weeks if it means good healing and a great start to my new lifestyle.

Good luck to you.

You are not bad but you are given the diet to follow for a reason, not least to give time for your sleeve to heal, to allow then swelling to go down and for you get to get used to a new relationship with food.

You have what is really a new stomach, like a baby's, and you are reintroducing food to it, the same way we wean babies from liquids to solids.

You made a big decision to have this surgery and its your body, you can do what you want. But I chose to stick with the plan and 5 weeks out, have no issues with eating or drinking. It's only a few weeks of your life to stick with what your surgeon wants you to do... Something to think about :-)

I wouldn't say it makes you a bad person. Hurting other people, abusing animals, breaking laws--that'll make people think you're a bad human being. You're not; but you have made a choice to ignore your surgeon/NUT's guidelines, and there won't be too many people on the forums who will tell you that's a fantastic idea.

You have had a major surgery (I know you know this), and your body is healing (I know you know this, too). As hard as it is to eat only what is listed by your medical/nutritional team, they put those guidelines there for a reason.

You're an adult; you made the choice to be sleeved, hopefully with the understanding that it wouldn't be an easy fix, right? It's not easy--if it were easy, none of us would be fat to start with--but it's the right thing to do for your body.

Make your choices, live with the consequences. Do the best you know how to do; when you know better, do better. I'd say you need to be very careful and maybe reconsider your choice, but in the end, it's your call to make, not ours.

Am I a bad person for doing this and will it mess me up in the future?

you are a wonderful person

but you are not the smartest just this sec since you aren't listening to your NUT :angry:

I know that you are usually extremely smart

after all you found this board :)

thus, you found me too!!!!!!!!! :lol:

the good news is your life is just beginning - its not over

but.......

you need 1,000 whips with a wet noodle!!! :lol:

you are getting a bunch of good tough love above!!!!

telling newbies et al, "there there, all will be fine"

well, i guess its ok to say, but you want/need good advice so you can succeed

i can see B) that you are a smart chic - and you want to learn, follow the rules

raise your right hand and say.........I Greeky do solomnly swear to .............

you know the rest :)

all NUTS have different rules that we all must follow

they all say different things, making them seem a little "nutty" :lol:

remember - always follow your NUTS orders -if you dont'???

people have been shot for less :D

on a good note (you need that too)

watching sugar, carbs (you didn't mention water.... :o

good for you :)

25 lbs down!!!!!

way to go

get back on that horse

good luck

kathy

Don't forget that there are medical reasons such as developing a leak and needing repair. Something getting stuck in the staple line etc. you have worked hard to get here so why not follow your doctors orders? You can do this! Get back on your horse and get back to what the doctor directed you to do. Let us know what your decision is?

I have been on liquids since 2 weeks before surgery and this week as well but honestly I don't think I can anymore so sick of the Protein shakes and stuff. Now I'm kind of trying out puree soft foods but not following her orders. I felt like I could so I'm trying it out is that bad ? The nut have me a paper saying to do 2 weeks liq. After surgery 2 weeks puree and 2 weeks soft food. I've read so many different diets from others some have soft food right few days after surgery! Do you guys think it's bad that I'm doing this? I've been strict with sugar and carb intake and still doing Protein Shakes. Lost 25 from surgery date (may 23)

I too have strayed! Its ridiculously hard and every morning I wake up wishing this was the day I could just be normal again. I was sleeved May 22 and am town 25 as of yesterday...losing 1lb per day. I can't seem to sip that crap any longer though my diet does mainly follow my surgeon's I have began to try things from the next stage. Yes, other surgeon's diets are different. I didn't know this to be the case or I would have been selective regarding this when I chose. Most want be brave enough to say yes I cheated. And those that did are in fear of hearing all that posted above. What's so different about someone else's sleeve regarding yours yet they are immediately allowed certain foods. Just pray about it and be smart about what you put in your mouth. You'll be ok

Last I checked, "being smart about it" includes following directions.

Different surgeons use different techniques, methods and different sized bougies. My surgeon has never had a leak. Because of that, I am going to leave my fate i his hands, not the hands of a bunch of strangers on a WLS board who have no idea about my body.

Last I checked' date=' "being smart about it" includes following directions.

Different surgeons use different techniques, methods and different sized bougies. My surgeon has never had a leak. Because of that, I am going to leave my fate i his hands, not the hands of a bunch of strangers on a WLS board who have no idea about my body.[/quote']

Interesting way of putting it. Agree with you.

not following her orders

Greeky

how are you doing :)

I see B) you are just starting your 3rd week PO

when you or anyone asks a question, "we" gotta be honest - you need to know the truth

don't misunderstand some posts - thinking people are being too hard/mean

remember you are looking through a computer/monitor - and you can't see their lovely faces

we can't see your beautiful face either :(

but things do unfortunately get misunderstood sometimes :(

we are all just trying to give you good info :)

in your case, we're just telling you not to stray from your food plan

all newbies especially should realize that 99.9999% of us are being helpful - like all the posts above

many of us remember that we also experienced problems with eating/drinking

and you/all of us deal with issues during this immediate process - through the rest of our heathier, happier, longer life

things can be especially hard at first :(

but we gotta keep pluggin' :)

we must listen to our NUT - FOREVER!!!!!

when they are "gone" and you can't speak to them anymore - you must always remember what they have told you, and follow those rules

we're all here to listen to everyones problems/give advice/answer questions to the best of our capability

the good thing is that we don't charge X dollar amount an hour!!!! :lol:

but when anyone asks any specific medical questions - we're not professionals - check with your doc

congrats on your 25 lb weight loss :)

continued success

kathy