Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a cheeseburger last night!! Muaha ha ha ha!

Ok it was a turkey burger no bun but it did have cheese! And avacado! :D

Yummmmm.... I can't wait for real food....

Yummmmm.... I can't wait for real food....

It will happen. At 6 months out things are pretty "normal" as far as food goes :)

Can't argue with a rainbow and unicorn!

But they did...sad :-(

Ok so how about something less scientific?

First' date=' this behavior is the first steps of bulemia and getting into the habit of chewing food and spitting it out can lead to a very serious eating disorder. After WLS we are already dealing with changing the way we relate to food, so we want to instill good habits all along the way and avoid the bad ones as much as possible.

Second, there's a biological reason not to do this too. When you smell food and when it enters your mouth and you begin to chew, the body goes into Prep Mode to receive food. Your salivary glands produce saliva, your pancreas produces insulin, your liver produces gastric acid and your brain begins to calculate how much nutrition you're about to receive from the food you eat so it can keep track of it's daily needs/calories --- the body is a well tuned machine and it knows how to deal with food when it knows it's coming. But then you spit out the food. Your body still has excess saliva, insulin, gastric acid and it can't figure out why it didn't get the nutrition it thought it was going to get so the brain accountants go nuts.

Excess insulin in your body causes your appetite to increase so you'll eat more food to soak up all that extra hormone. Excess gastric acid in the stomach -- now released at the Y of your common channel -- can cause indigestion or heartburn or ulcers. And those brain accountants are now doing some creative math to recalculate the nutritional value of food because it thought it was going to get a certain number of calories, but none came, so next time you try to eat that same food the brain thinks you need twice as much to get the same nutrition as it thought it should have gotten last time.

So not only is the whole "chew and spit" habit a training ground for bulemia, it's also a way to tease your body into thinking it's getting food when it really isn't. Bulemia is a very serious illness and not something you want to play around with.

I know you think this doesn't apply to you or the people here.. But I'm going to assume that all of us got here because of an unhealthy relationship with food and poor eating habits??[/quote']

Laura-ven

This is absolutly right. I was bulimic for8 yrs. It started when I was 11yrs old. I finaly got better when I was 19. Now Im 41 and am dealing with this again. I believe its become the transfer addiction. I got this surgery to lose the weight I gained after I shot my metabolism to hell. The problem Im having is I can eat more than in the begining so I would feel guilty about eating and started purging. I can say I have seeked help and am doing alot better. I just want everyone to know to please if you chew and spit, please dont make a habit of it, because it can and will become another addiction that is very harmful and hard to break. God Bless

Laura-ven

This is absolutly right. I was bulimic for8 yrs. It started when I was 11yrs old. I finaly got better when I was 19. Now Im 41 and am dealing with this again. I believe its become the transfer addiction. I got this surgery to lose the weight I gained after I shot my metabolism to hell. The problem Im having is I can eat more than in the begining so I would feel guilty about eating and started purging. I can say I have seeked help and am doing alot better. I just want everyone to know to please if you chew and spit' date=' please dont make a habit of it, because it can and will become another addiction that is very harmful and hard to break. God Bless[/quote']

Thank you so much for this @fattie

Cross addiction is a very real problem for sleevers. We are sneaky beings when it comes to "filling the hole" for self comfort. doing so with risky behaviors is not a wise thing to start.

Obviously not 'ok' for liquid stage, but someone posted this a few days ago:

NO DOUGH PIZZA!!!!!!! This one is a WINNER!!!!

Gluten Free, Low Carb, Diabetic Friendly!!!!!!

For when you absolutely want pizza but not all the carbs!!!!!!!

Crust

1 (8 oz) package of full fat cream cheese, room temperature

2 eggs

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Topping

1/2 cup pizza sauce

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

toppings - pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, peppers

Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly spay a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. With a handheld mixer, mix cream cheese, eggs, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese until combined. Spread into baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes, our until golden brown. Allow crust to cool for 10 minutes.

Spread pizza sauce on crust. Top with cheese and toppings. Sprinkle pizza with garlic powder. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Oh my god, this is making me salivate.