Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you going to the hospital alone?

Hi, everyone! I hope I posted this in the right place.

One week from today, I'm getting sleeved. I don't have any extended family or tons of close friends, and I can count on one hand the number of people that are aware I'm having surgery. My boyfriend missed a lot of work this year due to medical issues of his own, and isn't getting around very well (plus my cat just had surgery, and I'd prefer he spends his time making sure Mr. Cat eats and doesn't mess up his sutures.) My very best friend is away on business until August, but has offered to find a way home to be with me. I don't want either of them to disrupt their lives on my behalf.

For those of you that were alone immediately before and after the surgery (or for any surgery), and during your hospital stay, was it depressing? Did you wish you had someone with you? Would it have been easier to have someone there to help you use the restroom, get dressed, etc.? (I HAVE to put on a bra and panties as soon as they let me!)

The one thing that's REALLY bothering me is, what will happen to my belongings? I plan to bring a small bag of clothing, toiletries, magazines, my phone, and a pillow. If I'm going from the pre op waiting area - to the OR - to recovery - and finally to a room, I don't see how anyone would be able to keep up with my things. :(

Is anyone else worried about this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has something to share!

Accidental double post.

I don't think it necessary to have someone with you. I was pretty much sleeping except for those periods when I took walks. I think it is more important to have someone around when you get out of the hospital. As far as your belongings go, each hospital has a way of keeping track of and securing those. My experience has been that the belongings do not follow you from step to step. If you are concerned about how your particular hospital does this, ask your surgeon's office or call the hospital directly.

I went alone! Well my mom brought me but after 20 minutes with her there, she was driving me so crazy I sent her to my house to "take care" of my children along with my husband!

I liked being alone and they (the staff) took care of my bag while I was in surgery although they said they are not responsible for electronics..

My husband and daughter visited a bit later that evening but I was mostly out of it (yeah drugs)

I am a person that likes having alone time so it was good for me.

After I came home I sent my mom home too (she lives 3 hours away) I was able to care for myself and preferred it that way.

Now I've read some people can't even pull up their pants or wipe themselves after going to the bathroom? But I think that's probably an extreme case.

I would say I had my shopping done and everything set up for myself at home so that made it easier.

Oh for a bra I did a comfy front closure cami type bra.

I am almost one week post op but my husband took me. Even though I was out of it I think I would have been pretty upset if no one was there when I got out of recovery.

Thanks for asking this question. I'm following the replies as well, as I'm planning a solo trip to the hospital. I live 2,000 miles away from all of my family, and don't have tons of close friends here. And even them, I'm pretty sure I don't want them to see me in serious pain, struggling with a Foley catheter, or other personal and kind of embarrassing stuff.

I checked with my hospital and they keep all of my stuff in my own room throughout. Anything valuable can be locked in their hospital safe.

I plan to have my husband take me and drop me off. Then I have told him he can leave and bring the kids after I wake up. I figure I will wake up, try to walk, put on my bra and panties and then text that they can come see me. He will pick me up too.

Yes- husband dropping me off. He doesn't need to be there - it would only be a lot of unnecessary boredom for him. Lol

I plan to have my husband take me and drop me off. Then I have told him he can leave and bring the kids after I wake up. I figure I will wake up, try to walk, put on my bra and panties and then text that they can come see me. He will pick me up too.

I keep seeing this talk about bra and panties, but I'm at a week now and still not wearing a bra. It lays RIGHT where my one incision is ;)

Thanks for the replies! Laura, I had to laugh out loud at yours, because my mom was the same way. I think moms live to drive us crazy. :)

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one worried about putting a bra on. I even bought a new one that's nice and soft, with hooks in the front. If there's an incision right where the band lays, well...I guess I'll have to bring a roll of masking tape along then! (J/K!) I'm not too worried about what I'll look like (although I look really sloppy without one), but for me laying around without a bra is pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks for asking this question ... was wondering also. My husband is dropping me off not sure if he will stay ( as per my request not to). He wants to though so well see. I'd rather him come back at night to see me. My mother in law is watching my kids and she may need his help.

When I was coming round from the anaesthetic and in and out of consciousness, my husband held my hand. The human contact was the most comforting sensation I have ever felt.

My wife and oldest went with me to the hospital. My son last left but my wife stayed around ( she always for my surgeries). However, when I was lucid I sent her home and checked with the family later.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I sent my husband home. He gets anxious in hospitals and his being anxious was making me anxious, so once I was out of recovery, I told him to leave. It was good because I wasn't feeling up for much, just wanted to sleep, well walk and then sleep, then repeat.

Once I got home I was fine taking care of myself. But I was very lucky to have an unremarkable recovery. I think everyone is different.

I'm planning to go alone - I'm even taking a taxi to and from the hospital. I also live alone. I asked the doctor if I needed someone to stay with me after, and he said I'd be fine on my own.

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago and I hated having my parents around in the hospital before the surgery. It would probably would have been nice to have them there after, but they weren't there and left me waiting at the hospital for two hours when the nurses were trying to get me out.