Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SICK, STILL SICK, CONTINUE TO BE SICK...SERIOUSLY AM I THE ONLY PERSON ON HERE WHO HAS BEEN SICK ALMOST THE ENTIRE TIME SINCE GETTING SLEEVED?

Height 5'6", weight 201lbs = BMI 32

You're right, it's 32.4--I calculated that incorrectly for some reason, even though I was using an online calculator. But 30 BMI is still obese....

I was sleeved in Mexico on March 5th 2013. That puts me 11 wks post OP' date=' give or take. I have lost over 50 lbs, I am 5 lbs from my goal weight of 145, I am 5' 6". (Yes, I was one of those, I weighed 201 lbs when sleeved. My BMI was 53.) I can only consume approximately 300 calories a day (more or less) or I will throw up (3 or 4 tablespoons of food ain't very much and everything makes me sick). I have only been able to gag down 40 ounces of Water A DAY tops until 2 days ago, 2 days ago, I got down 7 cups of Water and maybe 500 calories. My blood work is good. Iron levels are great. I got to stop my HBP medicine, (which I have been on for years, very happy about that). There may be something going on with my kidneys, I'm hoping that my inability to drink water or eat is giving them nothing to do so at the risk of being EVEN sicker I am.... gagging and/or puking and/or throwing up and re drinking eating to try and make sure my kidneys have something to do so they test in the normal zone when retested this Tuesday....I love being thin, don't get me wrong....but when does the "sick" part stop....I have been assured that it does, I have been told I will enjoy food again, I have been told that I will be able to taste, and smell normally and will eat 1000 calories a day, but WHEN!!!!!!....it seems when I browse through the forums, that people can immediately eat anything they want right after surgery and it never effects them, they don't get sick, they just feel guilty.. sometimes I'm glad I'm so sick cuz then I know I WONT be eating too much....but I'm depressed, I'm tired, I'm weak and I have no strength or energy....seriously, 3 quarters of my life is spent with a headache and on the verge of nausea...any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I did not read anywhere that I would be this sick for this long....I remember watching an episode of the Osbourne's once and Kelly told Sharon to eat something, Sharon replied "oh Kelly, you KNOW I get sick when I eat" I didn't know what she meant by that until I heard she had gastric bypass, THEN I knew...but I THOUGHT.... us sleevers were a different breed and could avoid the same crap as bypassers, was I wrong??? (P.S please don't just tell me to go to my doctor, as I indicated above, I already have) THANKS for your thoughts!!!!!! xo[/quote']

You're not the only one. I'm only 7 days post op but I can't even get water down without being sick. It's miserable. Since I'm not getting enough Proteins in, I feel too weak to walk very much. I have horrible diarrhea (sorry if tmi) for 3 days now. I've gone from 230 to 213 in 7 days. I feel like I'm at a full term pregnancy with twins with the children pressing in my diaphragm and upper abdomen/ stomach area. I have tried gas ex, it doesn't work. I've tried narcotic for lose stool it's not working I've tried pepto and Imodium ad an they don't work either. I had my babe go by me some peppermint tea to settle my intestines down and I try to stand and press on upper abdomen to push gas out. I feel miserable. This sucks. Suppose to start puréed food tomorrow but if I can't keep water and broth in Tummy then it's not happening.

My surgeon said those of us who are very sick after surgery will do best losing the weight. I told him "why cause were scared to eat?" And he just laughed like a pretty much yes laugh. He did say though that later on down the road we will be able to tolerate more foods Better, that our bodies just need significantly more time to adjust. I agree with this. What takes an avg person to heal from a minor scrape takes me a trip to the er, antibiotics and about 4 months.

I was sleeved in Mexico on March 5th 2013. That puts me 11 wks post OP' date=' give or take. I have lost over 50 lbs, I am 5 lbs from my goal weight of 145, I am 5' 6". (Yes, I was one of those, I weighed 201 lbs when sleeved. My BMI was 53.) I can only consume approximately 300 calories a day (more or less) or I will throw up (3 or 4 tablespoons of food ain't very much and everything makes me sick). I have only been able to gag down 40 ounces of Water A DAY tops until 2 days ago, 2 days ago, I got down 7 cups of Water and maybe 500 calories. My blood work is good. Iron levels are great. I got to stop my HBP medicine, (which I have been on for years, very happy about that). There may be something going on with my kidneys, I'm hoping that my inability to drink water or eat is giving them nothing to do so at the risk of being EVEN sicker I am.... gagging and/or puking and/or throwing up and re drinking eating to try and make sure my kidneys have something to do so they test in the normal zone when retested this Tuesday....I love being thin, don't get me wrong....but when does the "sick" part stop....I have been assured that it does, I have been told I will enjoy food again, I have been told that I will be able to taste, and smell normally and will eat 1000 calories a day, but WHEN!!!!!!....it seems when I browse through the forums, that people can immediately eat anything they want right after surgery and it never effects them, they don't get sick, they just feel guilty.. sometimes I'm glad I'm so sick cuz then I know I WONT be eating too much....but I'm depressed, I'm tired, I'm weak and I have no strength or energy....seriously, 3 quarters of my life is spent with a headache and on the verge of nausea...any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I did not read anywhere that I would be this sick for this long....I remember watching an episode of the Osbourne's once and Kelly told Sharon to eat something, Sharon replied "oh Kelly, you KNOW I get sick when I eat" I didn't know what she meant by that until I heard she had gastric bypass, THEN I knew...but I THOUGHT.... us sleevers were a different breed and could avoid the same crap as bypassers, was I wrong??? (P.S please don't just tell me to go to my doctor, as I indicated above, I already have) THANKS for your thoughts!!!!!! xo[/quote']

My smell and taste is messed up too and. If smell is messed up taste definitely will be.

I was thinking what if the surgeon did bypass without me knowing. And the headaches are low sugar levels. I live in the dark as much as possible with no sound and no smells

Okay, I'm sorry but something is not right with the stars. A height if 5'6 with a weight of 201 is a BMI barely of 32.4. Something isn't right..........

I am 7 mos post op and was sick for the first 3- 4 months. My smell and taste buds were so far out NOTHING tasted good and smells just made me sick. I started out with a BMI of 35 and by 3 months I was at goal. Not because I did a fantastic job of exercising and eating, but because I could not eat, had no energy and just felt like shi*! I am now 131 and would love to get to 145. I'm still having a hard time getting 1000 calories in. Everyday does get BETTER!

Since you have already checked with your doctor and he said all is well, then what I had to do was suck on ice chips. My doctor also told me about a whey liquid Protein at Walmart that is 42grams of Protein. Had I had this at the beginning I would have diluted it in Water and made ice chips out of it. I would try this so you can get your Water and protein in at the same time. Hope you get better soon

You're right' date=' it's 32.4--I calculated that incorrectly for some reason, even though I was using an online calculator. But 30 BMI is still obese....[/quote']

Yes but she reported her BMI as being 50 something, my BMI was not even 50 and I'm 3 inches shorter and only 30lbs heavier

You're right' date=' it's 32.4--I calculated that incorrectly for some reason, even though I was using an online calculator. But 30 BMI is still obese....[/quote']

And a BMI of 30 is not obese for an individual that tall. She's 5'6 so 145 is a BMI of 23.4

And a BMI of 30 is not obese for an individual that tall. She's 5'6 so 145 is a BMI of 23.4

A BMI of 30 or over, no matter your height, IS obese (BMI calculations take height into consideration). We are talking pre-op weight here--not current weight. Obesity brings increased health risk at 32.4. As I mentioned, Cleveland Clinic just did its first bariatric surgery this week on someone with a BMI under 35--his BMI was 33, so it was similar to the OP's. The surgery looks like it will be ending many years of severe insulin-dependent diabetes that were perpetuated by his excess weight.

So u had a BMI of 35. U had ur procedure done in Mexico. I know that dr Garcia uses 32 bougie which is a small time and sometimes it takes longer to heal. Make sure u get in your Fluid intake and Protein Shakes as much as possible. I concur with taking a PPI for stomach acid. U are still early out and these symptoms of nausea might stop. Let us know what ur doc says. :)

So u had a BMI of 35. U had ur procedure done in Mexico. I know that dr Garcia uses 32 bougie which is a small time and sometimes it takes longer to heal. Make sure u get in your Fluid intake and Protein shakes as much as possible. I concur with taking a PPI for stomach acid. U are still early out and these symptoms of nausea might stop. Let us know what ur doc says. :)

What does that mean "uses a 32 bougie"?

I pray things get better for you. My advice is whatever u do don't take in more Protein than u do Water for too much protein is bad for your kidneys if not flushed with water. I hope things work out.

A BMI of 30 or over, no matter your height, IS obese (BMI calculations take height into consideration). We are talking pre-op weight here--not current weight. Obesity brings increased health risk at 32.4. As I mentioned, Cleveland Clinic just did its first bariatric surgery this week on someone with a BMI under 35--his BMI was 33, so it was similar to the OP's. The surgery looks like it will be ending many years of severe insulin-dependent diabetes that were perpetuated by his excess weight.

Uh, BMI does matter 100%, because not all heights are "obese" at a BMI of 30. Some people would be "underweight".

All I simply did was point out her inconsistencies.

She indictes she is 5'6" preop weight 201, and BMI was 53.

At my calculations a BMI of 53 at 5'6" would be a preop weight of 330lbs not 201lbs.

Now, I don't mind helping someone, ever, but when someone blatently provides inaccurate information that skews the help. So whether or not you want to look at preop postop weight or BMI, something isn't right. I have no corums calling a spade a spade and I am extremely direct. Thats the logical brain.

Uh' date=' BMI does matter 100%, because not all heights are "obese" at a BMI of 30. Some people would be "underweight".

All I simply did was point out her inconsistencies.

She indictes she is 5'6" preop weight 201, and BMI was 53.

At my calculations a BMI of 53 at 5'6" would be a preop weight of 330lbs not 201lbs.

Now, I don't mind helping someone, ever, but when someone blatently provides inaccurate information that skews the help. So whether or not you want to look at preop postop weight or BMI, something isn't right. I have no corums calling a spade a spade and I am extremely direct. Thats the logical brain.[/quote']

Ummm... Hehehe....ok :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

I just assumed the OP typed her bmi backwards. She probably meant 35, not 53.

She said her bmi was 201 on the day of surgery. Most patients loose some weight before the date of surgery. So if she is 5'6" with a bmi of 35 that would be apx. 220lbs. It is not inconceivable that a person can loose 19lbs before surgery.

And she also indicated that she was on HBP medication.

In the US, WLS is now approved for anyone with a bmi of 30 or more and at least one co-morbidity. I do not think that your opinion trumps the medical profession's recommended guidelines. (Can we say arrogance?)

I don't know why there are some of you who are attacking a person who reached out for help and support. Since I have been on this site I have seen and read many helpful posts from people who seem to be genuine in their concern for others. I have also read posts by a bunch of immature mean girls who stir up drama. Why be so mean and judgmental? This person needs help. I would be afraid and scared if I were in her shoes right now. And I would be feeling dejected, rejected, and alone after reading what some of you people are writing.

To the OP, I am sorry this is happening to you. I hope that you get some good information from the veterans on this site. I hope you will update us with your progress. I am a pre-op still and I want to read everyone's experiences...the good, bad, and ugly. Hang in there!

You do realize that Wikipedia can be altered, edited and changed by anyone correct? I could go make numerical changes right now. So can you. Does that make them accurate?