Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to the dr today to discuss my sleeve revision...

The dr talked about how he was going to do my sleeve. He actually folds my stomach over the staples to prevent any leakage (the thing they worry about the most with the sleeve). Told me from my ct scan (they took a ct 6 weeks ago while in the ER for a band herniation) that I was a perfect candidate. So I was all ready to schedule my surgery for next month. Then.....

He sent me to the insurance coordinator.

She then found out that I had cancelled my Medicare part B last year (it's for drs office visits and since I'm a vet, I go to the VA for drs appts, I felt like I wa wasting $110 a month on it if I never used it. Medicare part A covers the hospital. Then she told me that part B covers the dr's charges, bloodwork, etc. Comes to $5,000! I can either re-up my Medicare part B or come up with 50% of the money to have it done. I call Social Security and they inform me that I can't re-enroll until Jan 1st and it won't take effect till next July! A whole year!

So here I sit with a herniated band, totally unfilled. And I got on the scale today and weighed 177! I weighed 144 Dec of 2011 when I got married. I've gained 33 lbs in a year. About 10 lbs just last month. I know I can't do it on my own, I tried for 40 yrs. My husband is convinced that I should low carb it (he actually means almost NO carbs, he takes everything to the extreme) like he does. Keeps reminding me that when I was on Atkins in feb (I didn't cheat once in 4 weeks) I lost 14 lbs. Which I gained back the next month, of course. It's so easy for him to low carb it, not for me. He's very supportive of my weight loss surgery goals but thinks I could lose the weight dieting.

I cried all the way home (a 3 hrs drive). I'm so afraid if I fail again, I will become a hippo and weight 250 again. I know that 177 isn't the end of the world, but to me it is. I have 1 pair of shorts that fit me this year (out of about 18 of em) I was wearing an 8, now I tried on a 12 today and it was comfy. Double digits again.

Anyway, if you've read this all the way thru - thank you. I know I write novels when I write. You should hear me in person, I chatter alot!

So it's either come up with $2500 (almost impossible), or diet until next July when I can have the sleeve done and my bad band taken out. I guess I hafta have it out eventually. I'm sure a slipped band isn't something that can stay in forever.

And I loved my band. It made me feel "normal" for once. I didn't have to count what I was eating, I just ate what I wanted, just much less of it. I was so looking forward to the sleeve when I could have Portion Control back.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Advise?

I was able to get a personal loan through my credit union for 8% apr...have you thought about that? Mine offered up to a 5-year term to repay w no prepayment penalty.

I was able to get a personal loan through my credit union for 8% apr...have you thought about that? Mine offered up to a 5-year term to repay w no prepayment penalty.

Something like this could be a great option. If my hospital didn't offer such a great payment plan with no interest, I was ready to get a home equity loan, which wouldn't be due for 5 years and only 5% interest.

Best of luck to you!

The dr talked about how he was going to do my sleeve. He actually folds my stomach over the staples to prevent any leakage (the thing they worry about the most with the sleeve). Told me from my ct scan (they took a ct 6 weeks ago while in the ER for a band herniation) that I was a perfect candidate. So I was all ready to schedule my surgery for next month. Then.....

He sent me to the insurance coordinator.

She then found out that I had cancelled my Medicare part B last year (it's for drs office visits and since I'm a vet' date=' I go to the VA for drs appts, I felt like I wa wasting 110 a month on it if I never used it. Medicare part A covers the hospital. Then she told me that part B covers the dr's charges, bloodwork, etc. Comes to 5,000! I can either re-up my Medicare part B or come up with 50% of the money to have it done. I call Social Security and they inform me that I can't re-enroll until Jan 1st and it won't take effect till next July! A whole year!

So here I sit with a herniated band, totally unfilled. And I got on the scale today and weighed 177! I weighed 144 Dec of 2011 when I got married. I've gained 33 lbs in a year. About 10 lbs just last month. I know I can't do it on my own, I tried for 40 yrs. My husband is convinced that I should low carb it (he actually means almost NO carbs, he takes everything to the extreme) like he does. Keeps reminding me that when I was on Atkins in feb (I didn't cheat once in 4 weeks) I lost 14 lbs. Which I gained back the next month, of course. It's so easy for him to low carb it, not for me. He's very supportive of my weight loss surgery goals but thinks I could lose the weight dieting.

I cried all the way home (a 3 hrs drive). I'm so afraid if I fail again, I will become a hippo and weight 250 again. I know that 177 isn't the end of the world, but to me it is. I have 1 pair of shorts that fit me this year (out of about 18 of em) I was wearing an 8, now I tried on a 12 today and it was comfy. Double digits again.

Anyway, if you've read this all the way thru - thank you. I know I write novels when I write. You should hear me in person, I chatter alot!

So it's either come up with 2500 (almost impossible), or diet until next July when I can have the sleeve done and my bad band taken out. I guess I hafta have it out eventually. I'm sure a slipped band isn't something that can stay in forever.

And I loved my band. It made me feel "normal" for once. I didn't have to count what I was eating, I just ate what I wanted, just much less of it. I was so looking forward to the sleeve when I could have Portion Control back.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Advise?[/quote']

I'm so sorry. I don't have advice on financing the procedure. But, I was stuck with a completely deflated band longer than I thought I would be. You MUST diet or the weight will come back on fast and you will be statrting back at square one with your sleeve. I just got my sleeve and I am so sad realizing that by the end of this summer I will be the same weight as I was a year ago.even with my messed up band. Ask your doc to recheck your band in a couple of weeks and if it has settled consider a slight fill. I feel for you and this is meant to be supportive but realistic. Quickly, get into some kind of program ww, Atkins. I like ww because of the public accountability. You will likely be hungry due to stretched stomach. I had my doc put me on phentermine for a minute to curb the appetite but didn't like the side effects.

Have you gone to your VA dr about this? I know there are others who have gone thru the VA, or the VA can authorize it to be paid at an out of va facility.

Good luck

Have you gone to your VA dr about this? I know there are others who have gone thru the VA, or the VA can authorize it to be paid at an out of va facility.

Good luck

I never even thought of the VA paying for an outside facility. I looked into the VA paying for it (it's 5 hrs to the VA facility that actually does bariatric surgeries) and the requirements are that I be in the MOVE program for at least 6 mths (a diet and exercise program thru the VA) and that I have a BMI of >40 (or >35 with 1 comorbidity). My BMI is 28 right now. I'm going to call them today and see if they can work with the requirements a little, seeing as it's a complication from a previous surgery. Medicare wouldn't pay for it either, but since it's a complication, they will.

Thanks for the idea!