Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success after Revision or new band put in??

I have been banded since 8/25/2004 with a loss of 75lbs. Over the last few months I have started having issues with my weight fluctating, slippage and now dialation of the pouch. I am scheduled for a new band and a low-profile port to be done on 12/29/06, (talking about getting it done before the new deductible kicks in)..LOL.. My question is for those that have experienced a revision with a whole new band whats it been like for you.. Your recovery time the same as the initial placement of the band? Did you finally start back loosing consistently? My surgeon says there is no reason why I cant get my last 50lbs off once they get everything taken care of!! Thank you for your comments. I was referred to this board in hopes of hearing some stories from people that have encountered the same thing!

Happy Holidays!

Christel

Banded 8/25/2004-initially

Revision 12/29/2006

I am currently on my second band. I got a new one on 6/21/06. I have the same exact size band as I did the first time. I was pretty much at my goal weight when I got rebanded. It has been a big challenge to maintain my weight during this 7 month period of no restriction. I kept it off until October. For some reason it just seemed to hit me all at once. I am up about 10 pounds. I could live with that knowing that I will have restriction again and I will get it off, but I am really worried right now. I have 3.4 cc's in a band that holds 4.0 cc's. I still have no restriction. It feels tight when I first get the fill, but by the time I get half way home from the doctor's office it is already loose again. I drive three hours to get fills. I have the same exact size band as my first one and with the first one I was too tight at 3.0 cc's. I can't imagine what the difference would be this time. I am going for another fill on 12/22. I will let you know what happens. All I want for Christmas is restriction! I have literally been praying for it!

Hi Christel, I was banded initially in Mexico in May 2005. On 2/17/06 I had emergency surgery because the band had slipped all the way down to my small intestines. My wonderful U.S. surgeon was able to repair the stomach and reposition the band. Although I did not get a new band I am happy to say that my success after the revision has been phenomenal and I am experiencing a greater weight loss now than after the initial surgery. I am losing a steady 2-3 lbs a week with a 2.05 fill in a 4 cc band. At times I cannot believe the difference in the way I feel now vs. the way I felt after my first surgery. My experience after the first surgery is similar to what you describe happening now. Correct positioning of the band makes a huge difference. When I get a fill now, the results are immediate whereas before I couldn't even tell I had received a fill. My band is so sensitive now that the fill increments are tiny. I went from 2.0 to 2.05 because 2.1 was too much. I couldn't swallow Water. At any rate, hang in there and know that you can be extremely successful after the second surgery. Good Luck.