Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Nick Nicholson- Dallas, TX

Happy I came across this thread. I am going to his seminar on Tuesday. It's looking like I'm going to be self pay which kinda sucks but I think it will be money well spent! Did any of y'all do self pay? If so, how quick was the process from consult to surgery? Did you pick where you had surgery? Does Dr. Nick use drains? That's the first I've heard of not doing the leak test the day after. I bet that makes the day of surgery so much easier when you can drink afterwards!!

I was self pay with Dr. Nicholson. Worth every penny! I had my choice of facilities, I had mine at Forrest Park~Frisco. The facility is only about a year old and very nice, plus it's only 10 minutes from my home. When you are self pay you don't have to go through any insurance hoops or delays. You can set your date and get going on your pre op diet. Like Ytsepam, I had a drain in the hospital that was removed before I went home and the pain ball went home with me and my hubby took it out, when they told us to, its very easy. I think the best part is no post op leak test, he does it in the OR!

Good luck!

Happy I came across this thread. I am going to his seminar on Tuesday. It's looking like I'm going to be self pay which kinda sucks but I think it will be money well spent! Did any of y'all do self pay? If so, how quick was the process from consult to surgery? Did you pick where you had surgery? Does Dr. Nick use drains? That's the first I've heard of not doing the leak test the day after. I bet that makes the day of surgery so much easier when you can drink afterwards!!

Hi!

I was a self-pay patient and the process was super quick. I had my fee to Dr. Nick the Friday before my operation and paid the hospital the morning of surgery. I went from consultation to surgery in three weeks. Having cash really clears the way of red-tape!

I went through my insurance, but my surgery was only 4 weeks after my first.visit with Dr.Nick. His staff is amazing. I had my EGD and my surgery at Victory Medical in Plano and I highly recommend it to anyone. The drain is disgusting and quite painful coming out, I actually cried. The medicine ball is super easy to take out, I did it myself with no pain whatsoever. My left stitch popped about 2 weeks post op and I was 100% pain free after that. Dr. Nick is amazing!!

How did the office contact you after the seminar? I went to the seminar on Tuesday and it's driving me crazy just waiting to hear from their office. Did they call, email, or mail you something? How long did it take to hear from them after the seminar?

I received a letter.

I received a call. Took 4 or 5 days.

Wow! Sorry to hear you Had a rough time of it. I had my hydrocodone dose upped too bc I was in pain. Sooo much pain. I sailed through the hospital and was discharged but the meds at hospital must have been a lot stronger lol bc when I got home on the dose they gave, it didn't touch the pain. But then again, I have a back injury for which I have taken hydrocodone for 10 years off and on so it might not work as well on me. Glad to hear you are feeling better! Where do you live? Hopefully travel was not too hard on you.

I'm in Abilene, which is about a 3 hour drive from the Forest Park Dallas location. Travel home was not the best. I kind of wish I had rented a Cadillac or something that drives smoother than my Mazda5!

I am feeling so much better now. I still have a lot of pain at the largest incision site when I move certain ways, but I am off the hydrocodone and am just taking tylenol.

I had my 2 week post op on Wednesday with Wendy, the PA, at the Plano office. I was a little worried about it since some people on the thread had a bad experience there, but the appointment went great. She checked my incisions and I didn't feel rushed at all. I've also emailed her a few questions this week and she responded very quickly.

I was also self pay. I had my appointment with him in late May and because of my schedule, I scheduled surgery on 6/25. You do have choices for self pay, but the hospital in Plano charges about $20,000 compared to $8,200 at Forest Park Dallas, so you probably won't be having it in Plano :)

I payed Dr Nick's portion the Friday before surgery and the hospital's portion the day before surgery when I did my pre-op testing (out of town patients do it the day before surgery). I really scraped together everything I had to pay for this, so FYI, both Dr Nick and Forest Park Dallas will let you split the fees among multiple credit cards.

The drain coming out was not comfortable, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The nurse also removed the other tube (I didn't know what it was, but I guess it was the medicine ball) before check out. Did anyone else have to drink liquid potassium before they were discharges. I did not have the best time immediately following surgery, but when I look back on it, drinking that seems like the worst part! I'm pretty sure it's what Satan's urine must taste like!!

I was also self pay. I had my appointment with him in late May and because of my schedule, I scheduled surgery on 6/25. You do have choices for self pay, but the hospital in Plano charges about $20,000 compared to $8,200 at Forest Park Dallas, so you probably won't be having it in Plano :)

I payed Dr Nick's portion the Friday before surgery and the hospital's portion the day before surgery when I did my pre-op testing (out of town patients do it the day before surgery). I really scraped together everything I had to pay for this, so FYI, both Dr Nick and Forest Park Dallas will let you split the fees among multiple credit cards.

The drain coming out was not comfortable, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The nurse also removed the other tube (I didn't know what it was, but I guess it was the medicine ball) before check out. Did anyone else have to drink liquid potassium before they were discharges. I did not have the best time immediately following surgery, but when I look back on it, drinking that seems like the worst part! I'm pretty sure it's what Satan's urine must taste like!!

Oh my gosh! I had to take the potassium too. But mine was like crystals or something. You put Water in it and it doesn't dissolve all the way. I had the medicine ball too. I went home after one day so my husband pulled out the medicine ball. I am hopeful that my pain is going away. Last night was the first night I could sleep on my side without being in agony. Best sleep in two weeks bc I am a side sleeper :)

I did not have to drink the potassium. What was that for?

I'm in Abilene' date=' which is about a 3 hour drive from the Forest Park Dallas location. Travel home was not the best. I kind of wish I had rented a Cadillac or something that drives smoother than my Mazda5!

I am feeling so much better now. I still have a lot of pain at the largest incision site when I move certain ways, but I am off the hydrocodone and am just taking tylenol.

I had my 2 week post op on Wednesday with Wendy, the PA, at the Plano office. I was a little worried about it since some people on the thread had a bad experience there, but the appointment went great. She checked my incisions and I didn't feel rushed at all. I've also emailed her a few questions this week and she responded very quickly.[/quote']

I'm from Abilene :)

Live in Denton now. I'm so surprised your 2 week was good. I saw Natalia and she didn't look at my incisions. Literally said three words and she was done. Maybe they know you're coming from far.

So, my dad has decided to get the sleeve. The victory medical center has changed their rules and now was a $4,000 fee upfront. So, no longer will they bill you like they are me. Keep that in mind.

I did not have to drink the potassium. What was that for?

I had labs done and my potassium was low so I had to take it. Yuck I tell you...

I had labs done and my potassium was low so I had to take it. Yuck I tell you...

I'm guessing I had to take it for the same reason. I was already dressed and waiting for discharge when they told me to drink it, so I didn't think to ask. Mine was gritty too, put the nurse poured it directly from the vial into a medicine cup for me to drink. I swear I have never tasted anything so foul.

I'm from Abilene :)

Live in Denton now. I'm so surprised your 2 week was good. I saw Natalia and she didn't look at my incisions. Literally said three words and she was done. Maybe they know you're coming from far.

Wow, small world.

I'm sorry your post op was bad. That's really frustrating. They don't usually do a 2 week appointment with out of town patients, but since I don't live that far really I requested to be treated like an in town patient. Maybe you're right that they knew I was coming from far away and didn't want to rush it. Could also be a difference in people as well. Also, my appointment was early in the morning, maybe even the first of the day and that sometimes makes a difference.