Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Supergenius.........

The scale finally moved. Down 2 pounds this morning!! Finally!

Also, I had a great day where everything I tried to eat went down just fine.....no stuck feelings all day. I'll have to update my ticker soon.

Hope I'm getting the hang of this!

Goodnight all!

any stories about people that need help that are not 100 pounds or less. I need other opinions please let me know what you think. Thanks. Now I feel better.

You do not need to be over 100lbs overweight. Most insurance companies want you to, but if you are willing to self pay, you can get a band. I just got banded 12-29. I have lost 9 or 10 lbs, so I am now down to about 203. I am

5'2" but I am also 54 years old. I don't really know how much I want to lose, but I would be thrilled to get down to 145 or 150.

Have you looked at all the different boards? You should get a lot of responses here, but you can also try obesity help.com. It has to be your decision. Even though banding is a good tool, it's not true that you will be able to eat whatever you want in small portions. I have talked to a lot of people that are banded, and just can 't get certain foods to pass through the band.

Hi bikergirl,

I think my BMI was either 33 or 34. Nowhere in the US was I going to get a band, which is why I went to Mexico.

I love food. Food is my reward and I really enjoy eating. I thought I was hungry all the time until this past week (I was banded a week ago). In the last week I have been totally full, not even really physically able to eat, fantasizing about pizza. Among other things. I have felt guilty for being fat forever. I am single, I am in charge of my own schedule and I have no kids. I work out all the time. I have absolutely no "reason" for being fat. I "should" be able to lose weight. Well this year I decided it was time to quit shoulding on myself. But I totally relate to how you feel.

I think everyone on this forum is extremely committed to losing weight and being healthier. I think everyone here is willing to do what it takes to lose weight. But it is really hard to lose weight if you are miserable every single minute of every day. Which is how I feel on a diet.

Good luck with your decisions bikergirl. I love this site because I feel like I can talk about how I really feel and what I really think about food and myself and fat.

Ive been struggling with my weight for the last 10 years - I'm only 31 and I'm having a hard time accepting my weight. I've always been active and when I got pregnant (1994) I was around 115 pounds. I thought I could eat anything and lose it later. So I gained 65 pounds with her. Needless to say I wasn't able to "bounce back". I made excuses for not working out and for my eating. Two years later, my husband and I decided to have another baby. Well we had twins (boy/girl). Once again, I was eating for 3, but this time it was healthy eating - I only gained 35 pounds with them. I'm currently weighing 195 pounds - I went from a size 5/6 to a size 18 in the past 10 years. I feel so guilty because I know I'm not as heavy as some and I've been told just workout and eat right - you can lose it - but in my world I can't just workout & eat right. I work 12-14 hour shifts, I have 3 kids and a husband. I try to bring my lunch - drink Water - walk, etc. but the weight is not going anywhere. food is my friend. I find myself stoping to feed me, then going home to cook for my family (and eating also) - I think I've stretched my stomach out so much that it is the size of a soccer ball. I'm unhappy with myself and I feel like if I don't do something I'm not going to be there for my kids. I just want the band to help me control my intake - I eat healthy a lot of the time but I over eat healthy (go figure). I don't want to be skinny like a runway model. I can't find any pictures or any stories about people that need help that are not 100 pounds or less. I need other opinions please let me know what you think. Thanks. Now I feel better.

You do not have to be extremely overweight to get the lap-band. If you are a volume eater, the band will work wonders for you. Simply because you will not be able to eat volumes. If you have insurance, they go by your BMI (body mass index) in determining whether or not you are "overweight enough" for them to pay. Check with your insurance company and see. Also if you have what they call comorbidities or something like that, it helps. They are like high blood pressure, diabeties, etc.

This forum is a great place to learn a lot of info. Just start asking away as well as reading, reading, reading. Good luck to you.

That is GREAT news! Seeing the scale go down is SUCH a good feeling.

Also, I had a great day where everything I tried to eat went down just fine.....no stuck feelings all day. I'll have to update my ticker soon.

Goodnight all!

Hey Audree,

How are you doing this morning? Feeling any better? I have been able to stay around 800-1000 calories every day since about Tuesday and I feel really good. Some days I am hungry and some days I am not hungry. But I am not starving, thank God.

I got on the scale today... because I just can't help myself. I am down 8.5lbs since the surgery. I will definitely take that number even if it is only because I am on a liquid diet right now!

I have been on the treadmill the last 3 days and feel really good. I am going cycling with a friend on Sunday (really short ride). I had gallbladder surgery in August 2005 and I felt horrible for weeks. I think it was the narcotics, looking back. I am so glad the painkillers (which I haven't taken for 3 days) didn't zone me out.

Have a great day everyone! Obviously I am happy today!

Hey BikerGirl360,

Well, it seems like you've come to the right place. The lower BMI's all have struggeled with losing weight just like someone who has a higher BMI. I got my operation and I weighted 190. People told me all the time "you don't need it, just excercise, you must just be lazy, stop trying to take the easy way out", but the truth is, i have tried every thing in the book. Sometimes successful, sometimes not. I just needed something to help control my portions, and the band is doing that. I'm even having a bit of a struggle right now with figuring out how tight my band should be, but if someone were to ask me if id do it again, absolutely.

The best advice i could give, is listen to yourself, and your needs. People will be quick to deter you from doing something, and push their opinions on you...listen to what feels good for you.

Your struggle is no less harder than anyone eles', no matter what your weight.

good luck,

Rachael.

I keep hearing that too..it takes longer if you have less too lose. Not too comforting. My starting BMI was 32.7 and now is 30.6. Its a slow process, but I am hopeful it will speed up soon.

Ive been struggling with my weight for the last 10 years - I'm only 31 and I'm having a hard time accepting my weight. I've always been active and when I got pregnant (1994) I was around 115 pounds. I thought I could eat anything and lose it later. So I gained 65 pounds with her. Needless to say I wasn't able to "bounce back". I made excuses for not working out and for my eating. Two years later, my husband and I decided to have another baby. Well we had twins (boy/girl). Once again, I was eating for 3, but this time it was healthy eating - I only gained 35 pounds with them. I'm currently weighing 195 pounds - I went from a size 5/6 to a size 18 in the past 10 years. I feel so guilty because I know I'm not as heavy as some and I've been told just workout and eat right - you can lose it - but in my world I can't just workout & eat right. I work 12-14 hour shifts, I have 3 kids and a husband. I try to bring my lunch - drink Water - walk, etc. but the weight is not going anywhere. food is my friend. I find myself stoping to feed me, then going home to cook for my family (and eating also) - I think I've stretched my stomach out so much that it is the size of a soccer ball. I'm unhappy with myself and I feel like if I don't do something I'm not going to be there for my kids. I just want the band to help me control my intake - I eat healthy a lot of the time but I over eat healthy (go figure). I don't want to be skinny like a runway model. I can't find any pictures or any stories about people that need help that are not 100 pounds or less. I need other opinions please let me know what you think. Thanks. Now I feel better.

HERE I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our stories are a lot alike. I have a bmi of barely 31. I gained 85 pounds with my first daughter due to pre-eclampsia (toxemia), ballooned up to 240+. Then went on Lindora Medical Center and lost to 145. Maintained that weight loss for 1 week and blew the crotch out of my jeans 2 weeks or so later. I gained all the way back up. Got pregnant with my second daughter 1 1/2 after the first and gained all the way up again!!!

I had to maintain a very strict diet or low carb but since I love food and eat large quantities, I hovered in the 185-195 range. If I let my healthy eating habits go (I would just eat tons of healthy food, so I didn't lose)I'd easily jump back into the 200's. I have been struggling and yo yoing since I was 12 and I am now 33. The frustration and obessing over food and dieting daily took so much of my time and mental anguish was my daily companion. The United States is one of the only countries in the world that doesn't practice preventative medicine, not like other countries. I had my surgery in Mexico by one of the leading pioneers in lap band surgery.

He taugh many of the doctors that do it in the US. I am 5'5 and weighed 186 at banding. But, I am now free of my food/diet obession and feel FREE for the first time in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a priceless feeling and it shows in my parenting, my being a healthy and happy spouse, better daughter, etc. A frustrated person is not an easy person to be around. Everytime I went on a new diet, my family went along for the ride. Not to mention my major food withdrawls and mood swings!!!!

I have not doubt if I had not done the lapband surgery as a preventative measure, I'd be on an upswing to 200+ land. Diabeties, high/low blood pressure, heart diesese and breast cancer run in my family. Overweight contributes and helps these dieseses along. Estrogen is stored in fat and cancer is fed by estrogen.

I am 1 week post op and feeling FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am at peace and happy. I have not weighed yet, but feel that I am loosing. I eat till I am full on a very small amount of food. I have to fight to get in 1000 calories.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like or get support from this site!!!!!!

:welcome: Audree

Supergenius.........

Goodnight all!

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Audree

Hi bikergirl,

I think my BMI was either 33 or 34. Nowhere in the US was I going to get a band, which is why I went to Mexico.

I love food. Food is my reward and I really enjoy eating. I thought I was hungry all the time until this past week (I was banded a week ago). In the last week I have been totally full, not even really physically able to eat, fantasizing about pizza. Among other things. I have felt guilty for being fat forever. I am single, I am in charge of my own schedule and I have no kids. I work out all the time. I have absolutely no "reason" for being fat. I "should" be able to lose weight. Well this year I decided it was time to quit shoulding on myself. But I totally relate to how you feel.

I think everyone on this forum is extremely committed to losing weight and being healthier. I think everyone here is willing to do what it takes to lose weight. But it is really hard to lose weight if you are miserable every single minute of every day. Which is how I feel on a diet.

Good luck with your decisions bikergirl. I love this site because I feel like I can talk about how I really feel and what I really think about food and myself and fat.

It is so true what you said about if you are miserble (which is how we feel on a diet) it is hard to stay on a diet. I think what contributes to it is our past record of failing at losing and peoples unsupportiveness.

We are also just being preventative of our health!!!!

Audree

Hey Audree,

How are you doing this morning? Feeling any better? I have been able to stay around 800-1000 calories every day since about Tuesday and I feel really good. Some days I am hungry and some days I am not hungry. But I am not starving, thank God.

I got on the scale today... because I just can't help myself. I am down 8.5lbs since the surgery. I will definitely take that number even if it is only because I am on a liquid diet right now!

I have been on the treadmill the last 3 days and feel really good. I am going cycling with a friend on Sunday (really short ride). I had gallbladder surgery in August 2005 and I felt horrible for weeks. I think it was the narcotics, looking back. I am so glad the painkillers (which I haven't taken for 3 days) didn't zone me out.

Have a great day everyone! Obviously I am happy today!

Good Morning!!!!

I am feeling great!!! I wake up with an eager anticipation!!!! I am the same as you, I am eating between 700-1000 a day and feel good. I have no pain. I wake up VERY tight and in the evening I am even TIGHTER!!! I have heard of people having one or the other, but I have both. I can really only eat during the day. I was out all day so by the time I got home, I couldn't physcially eat and was sooooo tired, I went to bed. I got in only like 520 or so calories.

I still have not weighed myself. I am 1 week post of today and I am soooo glad I did this. I feel so FREE and my mind is at rest. I don't have to think about "what diet am I going to do today?" or how much I ate? So many things that would bombard my mind and haven't crossed my mind till I have to think about it to write it down.

For the first time in my life I can eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full!!!! I was a volume eater so now my volume is cut down by a LOT!!!!!

How are you all doing today??????

Audree

I keep hearing that too..it takes longer if you have less too lose. Not too comforting. My starting BMI was 32.7 and now is 30.6. Its a slow process, but I am hopeful it will speed up soon.

My doctor told me that I can lose faster if I listen to the bandster rules, that I could lose 50 pounds in 6 months if I wanted to!!! He said be prepared for the body to stop 5-10 pounds before my goal and I'd have to work harder at those, but I have never been there and that sounds great to me!!!!!!

It seems like we lose slower, but when you compare stats, we still lose the same percentage as a higher bmi person. Like 10% of 190 is 19 pounds and 10% of 300 is 30 pounds, so it seems like they lost more, but in proportion,it is about the same. I have read that also from some other bandsters also who did the math.

The bottome line is we will get there. Losing 1-2 pounds a week sounds like heaven to me!!! I have never been able to lose 2 pounds a week for any period of time, onlly in my first few weeks of Weight watchers, but then I'd throw in the towel.

Together, WE WILL DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Audree

I am still getting used to the whole not eating thing. My mind is still very focused on food. Hungry or not I am thinking about it. But what is nice is that I feel like I can now recognize the difference. It may be only a week out and too early to tell how I am 'really' going to do, but I am definitely learning that there is a voice in my head that talks about food all day long. The voice has no power right now, which is great. It is just a voice. I believe in time that the voice will fade into the background.

I can't believe you haven't weighed yourself yet! I want to just weigh myself on Fridays, since that is when I got the surgery, but right now I can't control myself. I am sure that once the scale settles down it will be easier for me to stay off of it.

I am still getting used to the whole not eating thing. My mind is still very focused on food. Hungry or not I am thinking about it. But what is nice is that I feel like I can now recognize the difference. It may be only a week out and too early to tell how I am 'really' going to do, but I am definitely learning that there is a voice in my head that talks about food all day long. The voice has no power right now, which is great. It is just a voice. I believe in time that the voice will fade into the background.

I can't believe you haven't weighed yourself yet! I want to just weigh myself on Fridays, since that is when I got the surgery, but right now I can't control myself. I am sure that once the scale settles down it will be easier for me to stay off of it.

I used to be obsessed with weighing daily and even bought a new scale before surgery, but I just haven't wanted to. I read a post someone had posted that said it was better not to weigh since this is a healing time. I am just going by how I fit in my clothes. I am going to measure myself too. My face looks thinner. If I am home, I am thinking more about food. But, like yesterday I was out the entire day and didn't think about food because I was too busy and focused on other things.

I also heard that getting a hobby is good. I am supposed to be starting school onlline to finishe my BA degree in psychology in about 2 months. I could have started ealier, but I felt I could only handle one major life change at one time.

When I am a little more up to it, I am going to reorganize my whole house and garage, do some interior decorating in my house, etc. The goal will be to keep busy!!!!!

Summer is about 6 months away, so we need to be following the

Ten Commandments of the Bandster. If you don't know what they are, I am going to repost them:

1. Thou shalt consume thy Protein first, followed by thy veggies and fruits. If thou, then hast any room left thou shalt comusme thy carbs lastly!

2. Thou shalt take the tiniest of bites, placing thy fork and thy spoon upon thine table, that thou shalt have more time between bites to savor that which thou hast eaten, and allow thy stomach adequate time to inform thy brain of thine fullness.

3. Thou shalt chew and chew and when thou has done so, thou shalt chew some more, lest thy band rise up and smite thee,causing in thy chest great pain, and spewing forth.

4. Thou shalt drink of thy Water, copiously, consuming all that has been recommended to thee, that thou mayest be spared the pangs of hunger and dehydration, and thou shalt thus, also keep thy kidneys well flushed, that thou shalt not develop stones to aggrieve thee.

5. Thou shalt exercise in a manner that thou mayest choose, of thine own accord, providing that thou art faithful to thine execise regimen,that thou shalt not falter on thy journey to thine smaller self.

6. Thou shalt honor thy band and maintain it well, that it shalt be a steadfast friend to thee throughout thine entire life. Thou wilt,from time to time, as thou hast been told, obtain for it the fills that it needest that it may then help thee in thy hours of need, keeping it always in perfect adjustment for thine benefit.

7. Thou shalt not worry and gnash thy teeth, becoming aggrieved at those times when thy losses seemingly stop and thy weight remaineth constant, remembering then that thou tookest long to acquire thine pounds, and that thy pounds must then take time for loss.

8. Thou shalt maintain a log or dairy of thine measurements, that thou mayest truly perceive the effect of they band when thine scale doth pause in it's downward progress.

9. Thou shalt join into and participate within thy local support community, for without the input, experience and love of they fellow bandsters, thou shalt have a much more difficult time in thy journey, and when thou art well upon thy road, thou shalt then likewise assist those who followest in thine footsteps that they too might be successful in their own diminishment.

10. Thou shalt beware of thine " soft caolries syndrome", keeping always in thy mind that thou canst thus sabotage thine efforts and thine investment and lead thee then therefore into depression and guilt. As once stated "Just because thou canst, it meaneth not that thou shouldith".

I for one, want to be beach ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the first time in my life!!!!!! Audree