Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone smoke after surgery?

There are a lot of ways to quit smoking. Some are over the counter some are from doctors and so forth. What it comes down to is when that person is ready to stop. What is the one thing that will make you quit. Will it be a loved one who got cancer or maybe your child has asthma or maybe you are having a major surgery that requires you to. It is up to the person when they are ready. Most people who quit turn to food, after this surgery that option is no longer there until you are a few weeks out. Which in return will cause you to start sabatoging your weightloss. I use to smoke before I had my surgery, I realized my life is worth so much more than what I was putting it through (smoking, eating wrong foods and ect...) I had to make up my mind no one could do it for me. The more you put a person down the more defensive they will become and in the end they usualy end up overeating or smoking more just because someone said they shouldn't be doing what they are doing. I realy believe deep inside each and everyone of us is still that teenager that rebels because someone said we should not have done something. Just my 2 cents you can take it or leave it. But it's the TRUTH!

Last post and I am finished with this thread.

I tried so hard to quit pre-op. Just look back at my posts. I really want to quit, but am I ready? Obviously no. It does make me sad that I, in a sense, "failed" at quitting smoking. But I'm not going to beat myself up, let someone chastise me, or sit back and let someone assume I am dumb because I still struggle with smoking. I'm actually very well educated. I am not old. Well I guess to some 30 is old, but not to me. The slow painful death of the English language is so sad to me. Facebook, texts, and tweets are eradicating complete sentences, proper grammar, sentence structure, and correct punctuation.

As for being a militant smoker, I have absolutely no clue what that means.

Possibly it was a misconception that I alway smoke while on a battle field, right after a battle, right before a battle, or some other ritual like that. I'm not in the military so not sure how that even came to be.

But I don't condone smoking. I won't bash people who smoke. And I hope the discrimination we all faced as obese persons will not transferred to the smokers. We all know how it feels to be sneered at, judged, ridiculed, mocked, and abused because of societies perception of what is acceptable. Why do we now think doing the same to those struggling with another addiction will help?

I tried so hard to quit pre-op. Just look back at my posts. I really want to quit' date=' but am I ready? Obviously no. It does make me sad that I, in a sense, "failed" at quitting smoking. But I'm not going to beat myself up, let someone chastise me, or sit back and let someone assume I am dumb because I still struggle with smoking. I'm actually very well educated. I am not old. Well I guess to some 30 is old, but not to me. The slow painful death of the English language is so sad to me. Facebook, texts, and tweets are eradicating complete sentences, proper grammar, sentence structure, and correct punctuation.

Possibly it was a misconception that I alway smoke while on a battle field, right after a battle, right before a battle, or some other ritual like that. I'm not in the military so not sure how that even came to be.

But I don't condone smoking. I won't bash people who smoke. And I hope the discrimination we all faced as obese persons will not transferred to the smokers. We all know how it feels to be sneered at, judged, ridiculed, mocked, and abused because of societies perception of what is acceptable. Why do we now think doing the same to those struggling with another addiction will help?[/quote']

Well said, Hayher! I love this :)

I tried so hard to quit pre-op. Just look back at my posts. I really want to quit' date=' but am I ready? Obviously no. It does make me sad that I, in a sense, "failed" at quitting smoking. But I'm not going to beat myself up, let someone chastise me, or sit back and let someone assume I am dumb because I still struggle with smoking. I'm actually very well educated. I am not old. Well I guess to some 30 is old, but not to me. The slow painful death of the English language is so sad to me. Facebook, texts, and tweets are eradicating complete sentences, proper grammar, sentence structure, and correct punctuation.

But I don't condone smoking. I won't bash people who smoke. And I hope the discrimination we all faced as obese persons will not transferred to the smokers. We all know how it feels to be sneered at, judged, ridiculed, mocked, and abused because of societies perception of what is acceptable. Why do we now think doing the same to those struggling with another addiction will help?[/quote']

Honey you will quit when your ready I promise. But you have to be ready with no one telling you that you have to. I smoked from the age of 15 to the age of 41. It took everything I had in me to quit. I would give up food and not eat just to smoke. My mother dying from lung cancer didnt even make me quit, why because I was not ready. You will know in your heart and brain when its time for you. The first 3 days are the hardest,I chewed alot of sugarfree gum and still do. I kept my self busy even if I spring cleaned the house everyday I still did it. When your ready and you need someone who will listen PM me. You can and will quit when your ready.

Can't believe how this thread turned into a lecture, sorry I even asked about smoking! I thought this was an informative and supporting site, but clearly it's not.

Thank you to all those who answered my question regarding smoking, as this was initially directed to smokers only. As to those (non-smokers) who enjoy lecturing other smokers, find another thread to lecture on.

Have a nice day:)

Can't believe how this thread turned into a lecture' date=' sorry I even asked about smoking! I thought this was an informative and supporting site, but clearly it's not.

Thank you to all those who answered my question regarding smoking, as this was initially directed to smokers only. As to those (non-smokers) who enjoy lecturing other smokers, find another thread to lecture on.

Have a nice day:)[/quote']

Don't let a few rotten apples ruin the bunch for ya. There's a block button for a reason ;)

Can't believe how this thread turned into a lecture' date=' sorry I even asked about smoking! I thought this was an informative and supporting site, but clearly it's not.

Have a nice day:)[/quote']

Am a former smoker so I feel like I could respond its been a yr for me but the thread just settled down let it be .. Information is information it depends on how you perceive it .. Don't be on the defense everyone is here to help but deal w things in a different way .. This is a forum all opinions should be welcome

My doc never did one cuz Im not dumb enuff ( no offense) to smoke. Ever!

I'm not quite sure how you can say "not dumb enough" and "no offense" in the same sentence. I have smoked for 40 years. When I started smoking there were no warnings about it. Most of the adults I knew smoked and it was natural for me to do it too. That doesn't make me dumb, just unaware. Fast forward 30 years and I found myself at my mothers bedside as she died from smoking. Did that make me quit? No. That didn't make me dumb either, it made me very addicted. I am happy to say that I have not smoked in 2 weeks. I do not intend to smoke ever again. I did it with e cigs which I tapered down the MSG on. I am pretty much over it now, only puffing on one a couple of times a day(from a 3 pack a day habit). I didn't have to quit. It was my personal choice to do it just as it is other smokers choice to quit or continue.

Well just reading all of this makes me want to go smoke. I go for my preop in less than 2 weeks and my surgeon does test for nicotine so I have to quit 30 days before surgery. I didn't have the best supervised diet weigh ins so I'm afraid of gaining before I meet with the surgeon. Now for the former smokers and not the non smokers I have a question...I've tried to quit a few times over this process because I knew it was coming but when I stop smoking I eat more but if I'm smoking I eat less. How does one handle this when they can't afford to eat everything under the roof while they're trying to quit? I don't want to miss getting surgery done over smoking but I don't want to miss it over gaining weight either.

My dr knew I smoke and never said anything to me about quitting but I have read some bad things about it

"my dr knew i loved whoppers, large fries, and chocolate milkshakes but never said anything about quitting but i have read some bad things about it." --------- no how silly does that sound? do what you want, it's your body but dont you think your dealing with too many addictions here? im glad my only addiction was them choco shakes . . . and loving my wife :)

Can't believe how this thread turned into a lecture, sorry I even asked about smoking! I thought this was an informative and supporting site, but clearly it's not.

Have a nice day:)

maybe posting this thread on malboro, camel, or newports page would have given you the answer you were really looking for? not a site dedicated to people who are trying to get healthy, and live longer. it gets me everytime when people ask a question then get huffy when they dont get the "ok" they were really looking for all along

Well just reading all of this makes me want to go smoke. I go for my preop in less than 2 weeks and my surgeon does test for nicotine so I have to quit 30 days before surgery. I didn't have the best supervised diet weigh ins so I'm afraid of gaining before I meet with the surgeon. Now for the former smokers and not the non smokers I have a question...I've tried to quit a few times over this process because I knew it was coming but when I stop smoking I eat more but if I'm smoking I eat less. How does one handle this when they can't afford to eat everything under the roof while they're trying to quit? I don't want to miss getting surgery done over smoking but I don't want to miss it over gaining weight either.

It really slowed down my six month weight loss. The final total, I think, was that I only lost around 5 lbs in my 6 month pre op, and that was including my liquid diet before surgery.

The good news was that doc and nut were supportive, and actually told me before surgery that they didn't expect me to lose much since I had quit smoking. (if they had told me that earlier it would have saved me a lot of angst!)

My dr knew I smoke and never said anything to me about quitting but I have read some bad things about it

If you listen carefully, you can actually hear the can of worms opening... :P

I'm a smoker too and want to know more about it. Doctor wants me to stop at least 2 weeks pre-op' date=' it's hard but I'm going to at least give it a try. I don't understand why they will not perform surgery on smokers. They do it all the time on people who have to have some kind of surgery in hospitals.

Did you have any complications due to smoking? We're you still smoking before and after surgery? Thanks![/quote']

For any major surgery they make you quit. Its your choice and you can lie about it but remember this is for your health and safety.

When doing research before I had the surgery, I read that gastric patients who smoke are at a much higher risk of stomach ulcers.