Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, all you Self-Payors!!

I don't think my insurance is going to cover the surgery... I haven't even begun the process yet, but it IS listed in the exclusions (all obesity/weightloss treatments etc). For those who have self-paid, do the the doctors generally want payment in full up-front? Have you financed? Are the payments and interest ridiculous or do-able? *sigh* Thanks....

My surgeon wanted it up front, I would think most would. So we put it on a credit card to get airline miles, then paid that off with money from a home equity loan. That way, we can deduct the interest. (And the surgery itself is tax-deductable).

Some surgeons offices will help with financing, and I've heard that there are companies that offer decent financing for medical things. Hopefully others will have more info on that.

Do-able varies a lot, we found it managable. I just tell DH he has my new kitchen around his stomach, he tells me I have his new jeep around mine!

Hi, I am a self pay and my Dr. requires cash in an envelope, lol. Like it's a freaking drug deal or something. I can bring a check but they will have a car take me to the bank to cash it and bring the cash back to the dr.

I'm in Germany so i'm sure it's different in the States.

I had to take out a Home Equity Line to get the surgery, made it more affordable, the payments are lower than if I got an unsecured loan. Still a financial burden, but I want this so bad that I'm not caring right now. I'm willing to babysit for money to pay the payment or something for extra cash.

I was banded in St Petersburg, Florida. They had me pay up front in 3 checks. One for the Doctor, one for the hospital and the last for the assisting Doctor. $17,500 total and I did a second on our home. But I will say this.. it was the smartest thing I have ever done in my 50 years of life. Like you hear everyone say "I only wish I had done it earlier"

Banded Oct. 3, 2006

Dr. Reinke

338/269/185

I paid upfront two days before the surgery. The funny thing was, when I gave them a check, no one seemed to know what to do with it!!!

Denise

I had mine done in Mexico and I paid 25 percent beforehand and then the day of surgery in fact one hour before surgery I had the rest wired to Mexico.

My doctor required it up front -- cash or credit card meant you could schedule right away. With a check, they said they needed to wait until it cleared before scheduling surgery. There is a company called Care Credit (www.carecredit.com) that a lot of healthcare practitioners take. I know I saw their brochures in my doctor's office. I just went to their website and they have a payment calculator to give you an idea as to what your payments would be based on the cost of your surgery.

Hope it helps...

I went to Mexico and paid $8500 up front. I saved the money up first. I worried a bit about having surgery in Mexico but it was a fantastic experience. I am an RN so questioned the medical procedures to death. They were all very excellent and in many ways better than many of our hospitals and Drs. I would recommend it to anyone.

Lovatofish - I am having my surgery Dec 18 with Dr. Ortiz. I am also self pay. I am glad you asked a million questions because it means I am not the only one. Can I ask you a couple of questions? Do they stich the band in place? Did you get your records when you left? Do I have to take off my wedding ring for the procedure? Do you go back there for your fills, if so, how much do they charge you? Sorry to grill you, but if you have any of these answers it would be a great help. Thanks.

Hi bandiva,

1. They did put my band in place and they even consented to do a lateral hernia repair while in there for free (very nice guys - Dr Ortiz & Martinez).

2. I did get band info and cards and all of the instruction paperwork. Had labs, saw dietician and cardiologist there before surgery. Everyone spoke English. I did not get indepth surgery reports but I didn't ask for them either. They would propably give them to you.

3. I took off all my rings and gave them to my daughter who was with me. They may well ask you to because they use an electric grounding plate in all surgeries and it is possible you may receive burns around your ring site should something go wrong. But I have known hospitals to allow you to just tape them in place too.

4. They require you to return for your first fill. Dr Ortiz has trained many of the US Drs so he is helpful in assisting you in finding a stateside fill Dr. I found one on my own tho who is close by. U do need to ask around because many Drs won't take pts who have had their surgeries in Mexico. The whole primadona syndrome! My first fill was $100. My fill here for the first time with my fill Dr was $180 but subsequent fills are $80. Glad you are on your way!

Thanks Lovatofish. That really helps me. 5 more sleeps till I leave. I will arrive Sat night. Thought I would just hand out on Sunday, and surgery on Monday. Thanks again.

I had my surgery in Mexico, too - wired the money to the hospital; printed out the receipt before I left just in case I needed it and I didn't...

I saved and paid $8,500. up front. My girlfriend had WLS in the US four years ago she paid $5,000 cash in hand to get the dr. to approve her Insurance. The insurance paid $80,000. What a rip-off.

Unbelievable. It makes you wonder how much of a scam insurance companies are. I live in Canada, and my Dr doesn't want to work on me because he won't have done my band. It is a 3-4 year wait where I am. Does he care about my health or the paycheck....hmmm let me see...

I am just going to make it work even if I have to apply a little pressure to do so.