Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Huge weight gain while still in hospital?

Surgery was 4/23. I gained 18 pounds in 3 days while still in the hospital after my sleeve. I was readmitted to the hospital 8 hours after my initial discharge after it was found I had lost blood flow to 20% of my spleen, presumably from a blood clot. I received a large amount of IV Fluid in that time which resulted in those 18 pounds. I lost that in 5 days plus an additional 9 pounds since, but to me, those 18 pounds of fluid "don't count". I was just wondering if anyone else had a large weight gain immediately post-op.

Yes, I gained about 14 pounds, which from what I understand isn't uncommon. It came off within about a week, and then the "real" weight loss started. Sorry to hear about your readmission but it's great that they caught the blood clot and treated it. Wishing you well--hopefully the rest of your recovery will be smooth sailing.

I had a problem with my IV blowing through my veins and I only received a small portion of the fluids they wanted to give me and I still managed to gain 10 pounds in the hospital! Took me a week to lose it too! I don't count those ten pounds.. I consider my post surgery loss to be from my weigh in on the day of surgery.

I've never heard of anyone not gaining while in the hospital. It seems pretty common/normal. Even my feet felt swollen while I was in the hospital! It all comes off!

I've never heard of anyone not gaining while in the hospital. It seems pretty common/normal. Even my feet felt swollen while I was in the hospital! It all comes off!

Ditto! Gained 10lbs and had swollen everything!

Oh yah! When I weighed myself post op after losing 11 lbs pre op 7 days of starving I was MAD. Don't worry, since 4/16 when I started the pre op I've lost exactly 30lbs. 19 of that is post op, but the entire 11lbs came back before it went away! It's just water!

All of my postop weight loss doesn't include the gain either. I just totally wrote it off!

I had my surgery on Tuesday May 7th and JUST got home from the hospital. I lost 8 pounds on the Pre-opp liquid diet and gained ALL 8 back in the hospital in ONE day. I was feeling so discouraged, but I feel a little better seeing that this is a common experience. I feel so bloated and gassy right now. When does this gassy feeling go away? Ive been walking 15 miniutes every two hours around the clock.

19 lbs here while I'm the hospital it's a fairly common occurrence