Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm on day 7 of my 2 week liquid diet. What an emotional rollercoaster. I haven't cheated - well, on my 2nd day I did have 1 extra Protein Shake, but I don't really think you can call that cheating! It's crazy. I made my 20 month old a grilled ham & cheese sandwhich and while I was cutting it up for her, I started BAWLING. I've never wanted to shove something in my mouth so badly. It didn't help that the rest of my family was chowing down on pizza that night either. Last night they made steak & potatoes. I took a bath and read my Bible upstairs during that time!!! I totally get how people end up cheating. I've found myself standing in the kitchen countless times and then I think "WHAT am I doing in here!?!" Habit I guess!

I had a friend tell me that this preop diet is almost like a smoker trying to quit. We are so used do eating and chewing that it's addicting! So even though our bodies are pretty much getting whatever they need to survive, the head hunger (and a bit of a growling tummy) make us panic and think we are starving to death - so then we eat! I mean, most of us have been following this pattern of eating for what, at LEAST 30 years, so really, what do we expect! lol - my first instinct when I'm hungry and it's meal time isn't "let me nuke some chicken broth and have a Protein shake" yum yum.

I'm proud of everybody doing this diet, including myself. It's probably the roughest thing I've ever done. I think the thing that keeps me from cheating is that I've lost 12.2 lbs as of this morning, so from last Tuesday to today. So I'm pretty happy about that. Does anybody else's Dr let them drink the low-calorie G2 Gatorade? Mine has it on the approved list of liquids and man, it helps me make it through the day!

So I did pretty good on my first 3 days .... Day 4 and 5 I cheated!!! Makes me so mad! While I was cheating I knew I was screwing up but was soooo hungry! Had bowl of cereal.... chips and ate 2 lean dinner meals... Also it's been about 2 weeks since I had a diet soda and I had 3 this weekend! My surgrey is on Friday!!!! Time to get my head in the game!!!! What was i thinking

I know how you feel I felt like cheating yesterday but I haven't I been on the per-op diet for 6 days already it's hard to get use to it but it will be all wroth it in a year :) and good luck on your surgery :)

Ok, so a few things lol

Cheating early in your pre-op diet likely won't result in your doctor not being able to do surgery. But, depending on how or when you cheat, you can sabotage surgery!! So be 100% on track now. You've "used up your cheat" lol

And more importantly, be careful comparing what another patient had to do, to your pre-op diet, even from the same surgeon. I have a group of 9 friends, all seeing the same surgeon in the same 4 day stretch and there are at least 4 different pre-op diets between the 9 of us. Your doctor tailors your pre-op diet to your specific needs, so stick to it as closely as you can.

I'm on day 9 of 14 for surgery on May 11th, and while I haven't cheated, I totally get how hard it is not to! Hang in there. This is the home stretch... The most important part of your pre-op diet. You can do it!!! :)

I made my 20 month old a grilled ham & cheese sandwhich and while I was cutting it up for her, I started BAWLING. I've never wanted to shove something in my mouth so badly.

Awwwe, I totally feel your pain, there were times on my preop diet that I had to go have a cry in the bathroom because I NEEDED Doritos.. I work in a convenience store and I am confronted with them.. but a customer opened up her pack right in the store and I swear I could smell the radioactive cheesy goodness... so there I am a 40 year old grown woman crying over a bag of chips. I felt so stupid and crazy.

Awwwe, I totally feel your pain, there were times on my preop diet that I had to go have a cry in the bathroom because I NEEDED Doritos.. I work in a convenience store and I am confronted with them.. but a customer opened up her pack right in the store and I swear I could smell the radioactive cheesy goodness... so there I am a 40 year old grown woman crying over a bag of chips. I felt so stupid and crazy.

How was it after surgery? Did things get any better as far as cravings, feeling like your stomach was going to eat itself?

I am on day 6 of preop and emotional from day one. Having a really hard time staying on liquids but I am determined to stay on-I have thought the awful thoughts of cheating one meal but keep talking myself out of it:). May 15th is my surgery and mushy food can't come soon enough!:)

How was it after surgery? Did things get any better as far as cravings, feeling like your stomach was going to eat itself?

I am almost 8 weeks out and I'd say it's about 85% easier...I do have some hunger which is easily satisfied when I consume my small meal. I mean SOME hunger is good... the "want to gnaw my own arm off hunger" that I used to experience pre-sleeve is not so good.

Mentally I've had some cravings and I've given in a few times but NOTHING as serious as pre-sleeve.. Pre-sleeve, giving into a craving ran the risk of setting off a full on binge, but now If I eat a few bites it is enough to satisfy even without feeling that "sick overstuffed" feeling that I USED to need to feel before I felt satisfied. Don't get me wrong, I still WANT junk.. I want it often.. but saying "no" is SO MUCH EASIER now!

Well said. If we could all follow doctor ordered diets to the t we wouldn't need this operation. I can't stand when posters say if you can't follow the pre op you aren't ready. On the morning I got sleeved 4-23. My doctor goes with a big smile - how many times did you cheat. I couldn't lie and told him I had 3 pcs of pizza 3 days before and started apologizing and promised how sorry I was. He goes...and I quote. "Andrea, I've been doing this for a long time and have yet to meet a patient that didn't cheat". I was in years and he goes. " you lost 5.5 lbs. and then goes "are you ready"? When I said yes he high fives me. My point is. Do not best your self up! These cravings will subside when you get sleeved. Not totally but you will be able to control them.

Well said. If we could all follow doctor ordered diets to the t we wouldn't need this operation. I can't stand when posters say if you can't follow the pre op you aren't ready. On the morning I got sleeved 4-23. My doctor goes with a big smile - how many times did you cheat. I couldn't lie and told him I had 3 pcs of pizza 3 days before and started apologizing and promised how sorry I was. He goes...and I quote. "Andrea' date=' I've been doing this for a long time and have yet to meet a patient that didn't cheat". I was in years and he goes. " you lost 5.5 lbs. and then goes "are you ready"? When I said yes he high fives me. My point is. Do not best your self up! These cravings will subside when you get sleeved. Not totally but you will be able to control them.[/quote']

Just goes to show how every doctor is different..

My doctor did not think cheating was a laughing matter.. And because of that I did not cheat.

And more importantly' date=' be careful comparing what another patient had to do, to your pre-op diet, even from the same surgeon. I have a group of 9 friends, all seeing the same surgeon in the same 4 day stretch and there are at least 4 different pre-op diets between the 9 of us. Your doctor tailors your pre-op diet to your specific needs, so stick to it as closely as you can. :)[/quote']

This is so true the two girls that went in with me had different before and after diets!

Same doc, same hospital, same day.

My daughter who also had the sleeve told me it was my safety and health. Also, I only had to do it once if I did it right!! Good luck with your surgery! You can do this!!!

May 15th is my surgery and mushy food can't come soon enough! :)

I completely am thinking the same thing. I've never wanted to slurp some pureed chicken so bad in my entire life!

I completely am thinking the same thing. I've never wanted to slurp some pureed chicken so bad in my entire life!

I have to say before I had my surgery I told the dietician there was no way I'd purée meat!

Umm yeah, I puréed chicken with glee and loved it :D

I guess I don't understand some of the posters. Maybe I took my pre and post-op surgery too seriously, but I did mot cheat. I guess Laura-Ven is right, every surgeon is different and some laugh off cheating in their patients. Mine was not one and would actually cancel and reschedule surgery if a person came into the final weigh-in more than 5lbs overweight.

I think that if we were all perfect we would never have needed this to begin with. Some doctors realize that and route for you when you have success. Mine is one of them