Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you eating 1 year+ post-op?

First, CONGRATS... I bet you haven't walked on the ground since you found out! I am so excited for you.

Second, I think this has been a really good thread. Just hearing what people's responses are and how they are "over" their thing with food. Thanks for all the posts.

I am being banded on Jan. 5th and so this was really interesting to me.

I want to thank everyone for their responses also. I am 4 months post op, and right now am really still pretty confused in the head. What I gained from reading this thread is that this will all sort itself out over time. Is it safe for me to say that?

Right now, I can eat a lot more than I actually do right now. I've just had my third fill last week, and I still haven't gotten to that "sweet spot" yet.

I have experienced a lot of inner confusion about what and how I will eat each day. First I have this mindset of "dieting", then I remember "I'm not supposed to have to diet". And then I tell myself "I've got to make healthier choices", and then "I should eat one cup of food for a meal. Period."

And on and on it goes.

What I sincerely hope that I am hearing from you all is that my mind will finally clear, and I will find my "center", - that place where I am not thinking/worrying about food so much. And that my fills will get to a point where I can allow the band will just do its job. My job is to stay conscious, and to make as good a food choice as I can, at the time.

I love having the lap band, and although I would like to lose just a little faster and more CONSISTENTLY, I have lots of hope; and I can't wait to see what my future will be.

Thank you all so much. This message board does such a good service for people like me.

Well said drcollier. I haven't been banded yet but it sounds like you have summed it up... the sweet spot with the band and the internal psychological centering takes place over time.

You definitely become centered somewhere along the way. I like the way that was described. Somewhere along the line I quit worrying so much about calories and carbs and Protein and portions, etc... and it just became second nature to make better choices, eat them, and get on with life. I eat pretty normal now. Not normal the way I "used" to eat, but normal like a healthy thin person would. I rarely ever eat fast food now unless my coworkers choose that for lunch, then I order a salad. Normally I take a Lean Cuisine to work for lunch out of convenience. I also love tuna salad on Wheat Thins with a sliced cucumber and Ranch dressing,,,, much better than a burger and fries. Supper is whatever DH wants for supper. I eat the same foods. Yesterday we had a New York strip steak he cooked on the grill, grilled bell peppers and onions, and broccoli & cheese. Tonite I had chicken Tortilla Soup and just didnt put the tortilla strips in mine. I rarely think with "diet mentality" now....just healthier choices and smaller portions and it all adds up!!!

I guess that is what we all hope for... to eat like a normal person and not be constantly thinking about it. Cool...thanks Lianna.

I am one year banded. I cant eat bread ,steak,brisket. Cant have sugar because I am diabetic.(just a little now) I have to chew small bites slow.I have to remind myself to eat.Or I feel my stomach growl but no hunger pains. Good luck

Hi there! Just wanted to check in after Christmas & see how everyone managed through the holidays… Thanks so much for all the feedback & encouragment. There are so many inspiring stories among you. You’ve all really helped to allay my food fears! :nervous

Last night, my DH & I attended the ‘seminar’ for the clinic I’ll be using. I’d taken my mom to one by this group back in April, but they want you to have seen their schpeel within 6-months before arranging for the psych evaluation. And since my hubby hadn’t met this doc yet, we spent our wedding anniversary at the Weight Loss Surgery Center of Hampton Roads! I learned nothing new in the presentation except that a new Lap-Band design will go into use this April. My psych eval is on Jan 3rd. I was told that mid-to-late February would be the timeframe for surgery, since I’m self-pay & assuming no issues arise. So here we go...wish me luck! :bananapartyhat:

Hi! It's my first time writing in months, but I'm on vacation now. I am going out tomorrow with 2 friends that havent seen me in a while (before surgery). I don't know what I will eat tomorrow, but I know that I will look GOOD!

I love having the lap band, and although I would like to lose just a little faster and more CONSISTENTLY,

I think 10 pounds per month is FANTASTIC!! I would love to loose that fast! Remember the faster you loose the higher chance of gallbladder complications- I think your doing great. In fact you wouldnt qualify for those fills with my surgeon. If you are losing 1-2 pounds per week- no fill.