Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I'm so afraid of excess skin. I havent had my surgery yet (May 23rd) but has anyone lost a significant amount of weight and not had excess skin. Is there ways (certain exercises or specific foods) that help you have excess skin. I actually have a lot of self esteem now at 267 lbs and 5'8", ive always been pleasantly plump and came to love myself. What I'm worried about is developing self esteem issues. Ive seen pictures of lose skin and to me it looks worse than what I look like now. The reason I am getting the surgery is for future health issues as they run in my family, currently I am healthy (aside from being morbidly obese)

there are surgeries to help with excess skin...but i don't think you will have significant skin due your height / weight.....

Your body will take 2 years after a maintained/stable weight to draw up what excess skin you may have. Most surgeons recommend waiting to do plastics. Everyone has some degree of floppy skin but some people take care of it by excessive toning and it works.

However, if you think there's ANY chance you would get plastics post op, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! I know as big ladies and gentlemen we all know the joys of chub run and the easy ways to take care of it at home. But see your PCP every time it happens. If you don't have an extensive record of medically documented issues cause from your skin insurance won't even think of covering plastics. They'll deem it medically unnecessary. See your doctor, dermatologist, and keep your own records with dates and pictures. It's a little tedious, but I'd rather have a file on my computer of records and blubber pics than fork out the thousands out of pocket to get rid of my bat wings and belly apron :P

And even with excess skin, you can still look fabulous in clothes. Just not so much naked.

And so much of it has to with genes, age, exercise, how long you've been overweight, and how much your skin has had to stretch throughout your life.

Flab happens, but I'll take it as long as I'm healthier. And who knows, maybe one day I'll glide in the wind like a flying squirrel ;)

My insurance is great and will cover a Tummy Tuck and breast augmentation but nothing else..however I'm only on it until I'm 26, I'm 23 now. I probably dont want a tummy tuck until after I have kids anyway. I'm getting ahead of myself I havent even had the survery yet lol. I will take lots of pictures if I notice excess skin. Thanks for the advice

Your body will take 2 years after a maintained/stable weight to draw up what excess skin you may have. Most surgeons recommend waiting to do plastics. Everyone has some degree of floppy skin but some people take care of it by excessive toning and it works.

However' date=' if you think there's ANY chance you would get plastics post op, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! I know as big ladies and gentlemen we all know the joys of chub run and the easy ways to take care of it at home. But see your PCP every time it happens. If you don't have an extensive record of medically documented issues cause from your skin insurance won't even think of covering plastics. They'll deem it medically unnecessary. See your doctor, dermatologist, and keep your own records with dates and pictures. It's a little tedious, but I'd rather have a file on my computer of records and blubber pics than fork out the thousands out of pocket to get rid of my bat wings and belly apron :P

And even with excess skin, you can still look fabulous in clothes. Just not so much naked.

And so much of it has to with genes, age, exercise, how long you've been overweight, and how much your skin has had to stretch throughout your life.

Flab happens, but I'll take it as long as I'm healthier. And who knows, maybe one day I'll glide in the wind like a flying squirrel ;)[/quote']

Lol love the flying squirrel comment..I'm like that now..in our family we have always called it under arm dingle dangle haha..the only difference is its fat now and will be skin post op and post weight loss

I have lost 90lbs (15 more to go). Zero loose skin ... I have been strength training twice a week in addition to cardio and that really helps tone and transform your body :)

Sleeve Guru Did you start working out since the beginning of your surgery, or did you first lose some weight then begin to workout?

I only just went for walks for the first month or two. It wasnt till about 3 months post op I started strength training. Some of it u wont even need a trainer e.g. static lunges, squats, sit ups. I use 5kg weights for my arms - that was my problem area! Im sure u can google some basic exercises although my trainer does keep me motivated ;) helps that he is cute too!

Oh and I also used cocoa butter on my stomach day and night for the first 6 months. Helps with skin tightening as well as stretch marks and incision sites.

Your age also has a lot to do with it as well. The younger you are, the better the skin will bounce back because it has more elasticity. If your over 50 or have gone thru menopause, be prepared for the "flying squirrel" thing going on.

I've been taking alot of vit e and several other people I know that has had the surgery that takes it that has not had any issues with skin at all I've lost 168 lbs in 6 1/2 months I'm not having any issues with the skin. I take 2 to 3 the recommended dose.

Age is a huge factor! Although I'm 26, I know I have a lot of elasticity left, but I've ha stretch marks a been over weight since I was 11-12 so I know some is stretched.

I have loose skin, but I haven't worked out as much as I should have to minimize it. I am happy with it because it's still better than the fat was. If you're really worried about it, I suggest that you start working out asap and do a lot of toning all throughout your weight loss.

I have loose skin' date=' but I haven't worked out as much as I should have to minimize it. I am happy with it because it's still better than the fat was. If you're really worried about it, I suggest that you start working out asap and do a lot of toning all throughout your weight loss.[/quote']

I go to the gym 6 days a week which is what led me to wanting the surgery. . 3 years and no weight loss is no good lol