Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Life as a Bandster

Bandiva: just to put in perspective: I weighed 212 on 9 Dec....and gradually went up over the holidays (in part because I wasn't able to exercise)....by the end of the holidays I was at 219....once I started exercising I was down to 215 in 2 weeks. Then, I got my latest fill on Fri. and I am now at about 210 (not changing my ticker until I "officially" weigh myself on Sat).

All that to say you can plateau for a few weeks and it is normal.....especially when you have't had your first fill yet!

Hang in there. And though the fill will certainly help....don't expect it to do all the work for ya...cause it won't!!!

Hi Yoda, thanks for the encouragement. I know I am just going through a 'thing' right now, but it doesn't make it any easier. I feel like I am doing my part of the 'work' by excercising almost daily and eating well. Maybe I need to food journal to make sure I am not eating more than I think I am. I won't let it get me down for long though, I know this is just a stage...part of the process...and I am sure it will happen a few more times on this journey. It's just hard to be positive when you are in the middle of a stall! I just keep telling myself to keep doing things right, and this too shall pass.

Oh ya, on the China trip...I think I am going Jan 30th. Hubby is coming as well. I am about 85% sure it will happen, I just have to wait on my friend getting his work schedule, and we will be flying stand-by so there are no guarentees. I am not getting my hopes up yet, just going to take it one day at a time...in the mean time I have been reading up on shopping in Shanghia...sounds like a unique experience!

I leave Sunday for my fill. I am very happy about that. I am going to email them to see if I can meet with the nutritionist at that time as well.

Have a fabulous day everyone! Thanks for checking in on me!

Victoria

Oh Ya! I forgot to mention that I am going to an unofficial support group get together this morning. It is for people in the area who have had WLS. I am posting this here, because the devil on my shoulder is telling me to stay home (I have become a little anti-social) but I am trying to make myself go. So, now that I have told you about it, I better go!

Hi Bandiva!

I have a question. How long did you have natural restriction? Do you feel you need a fill now at the 6 week period and how do you know you need it?

I only ask because I am 12 day post op and still have a lot of restriction. How will I know I need a fill when I hit 6 weeks?

Sorry to interupt your regulairly scheduled broadcast.

My friend Alvin's birthday is Jan 30 and he collects shot glasses. Could I bother someone, if I send you the money will you send me a shot glass. If so let me know how much the glass cost and how much would shipping be.

Oh yeah my daughter collect keychains. LOL I have one from Greece and Paris so far from LBT. LOL

Thanks

Bandiva: that is awesome that Mr Bandiva is going to go to China too!! YAY!!! I hope it works out and you guys can go....that would be kewl and then you can tell us all about it!

Yes, it is phase and you are right, there will be many more....but if does sounds like overall you have a really great positive attitude about it!! Thatis half the battle....it helps when you can logically "see" things even though you don't feel like you do "in the moment"!

Be sure to tell us how the support group mtg went....I will be curious as to how many of the people who had the wls have the band compared to the RnY....I truly hope you are not the only banded one; as the issues with both are so very different and sometimes the banded folks get overlooked.....if you were the only bandit, I hope you were treated well......(and no, we don't feel like you are cheating on us!!!) LOL....

Hi Bandiva!

I have a question. How long did you have natural restriction? Do you feel you need a fill now at the 6 week period and how do you know you need it?

I only ask because I am 12 day post op and still have a lot of restriction. How will I know I need a fill when I hit 6 weeks?

Don't forget....being only 12 days post op you will still have some swelling inside...and that is likely what you feel the restriction from. Most people will find they need a first fill after 6 weeks....you'll know by how much food you can eat at that timeframe...if you feel it is quite a bit too much than you will know you don't have any "real" restriction from the band. The lucky ones who actually have band restriction without a fill are few and far between (tho I do envy them!).

I went to the coffee meeting! Yippee for me. I was a little out of my comfort zone, but it worked out fine. There was a baby there so I was able to keep myself from feeling uncomfortable by adoring his cute little face! One of the ladies had lost 100 pounds as of today...she had bypass surgery in May. Wow. I was the only bandster there (there was just 4 people there...not counting baby!) I am happy to have the band as it was the best decision for me...no regrets.

I am very proud of myself for going. I think it is important for me to build a support system here. At work I am very outgoing and warm and fuzzy, but outside of my uniform social situations freak me out a little.

Thanks Yoda for all the advice for both myself and baby got back...I adore you! MMMwwwwaaaa. Thanks so much. Experience really is the best teacher.

Audree-I think my original restriction was swelling. I went out for dinner tonight. I had a reuben sandwich. Ate 1/2 and felt full so I stopped. Then i was talking to my friend and i looked down and I had eaten most of the other half without even knowing it. I definately need to re-learn to eat and to start listening to my body and being conscious of what is going in my mouth. BTW, saw your scar pictures. Mine are doing great...I have cat scratches bigger than them! xox

My scale went down one pound! Yippee! By the way, I stumbled onto something I think is quite clever...I went to have some Cereal this morning and there were no clean bowls. (Kids!) So I put my Cereal in my measuring cup and I could actually measure how much I was getting. Then when I added the milk and ate it, most of the milk stayed in the cup because I couldn't scoop it up, thus making my liquidy Breakfast more of a solid. I may be on to something here, because I will be the first to admit the whole portion thing is a little screwy in my head.

Enjoy your day everyone!

I ate a bit too much and didn't exercise yesterday...can anyone say sabatoge...Anyways, I am not beating myself up, today is a new day and I am feeling a lot better mentally than I was a few days ago.

I have been thinking about all the things in my life that I am thankful for and it has really been an eye-opener for me. Sometimes I get stuck in the long hours, and watching what I eat, and cleaning the house etc blues, but in the big picture I am really blessed. My parents and children are happy and healthy and loved. I am so thankful for that. I want to see if I can stay the whole day in this mode...just thinking about what I am thankful for, and not what I want of wish I had.

Have a fantastic day everyone. I am thankful for all of you!

Audree-I think my original restriction was swelling. I went out for dinner tonight. I had a reuben sandwich. Ate 1/2 and felt full so I stopped. Then i was talking to my friend and i looked down and I had eaten most of the other half without even knowing it. I definately need to re-learn to eat and to start listening to my body and being conscious of what is going in my mouth. BTW, saw your scar pictures. Mine are doing great...I have cat scratches bigger than them! xox

I am wondering if he gave me a slight fill, I doubt it though. I am so restricted, I can't even drink 1 cup of coffee or liquid and i am 2 weeks post op. I am making an appointment for a fill at the 6 week point, but if I don't need it, I may not. I have trouble getting my calories in. I still have not weighed in either. I am scared too. I didn't lose any weight pre op. My clothes are fitting loser though.

When do you go for a fill??

How are you doing? I miss talking to you!!!:(

Thanks Audree, and congrats on your clothes feeling looser. I used to feel like a slob because my clothes were too tight, now I feel like a slob cause my clothes are too loose! But I'm lovin it! I had trouble getting my calories in for the first couple weeks as well. Just make sure you are taking Vitamins and getting enough liquids so you don't get sick! (Nag Nag). I can't wait till you weigh yourself...it will be very exciting.

I got Tom today so I am going to try not to weigh for a week. I usually weigh daily. I leave on Sunday for my fill! Yippee! Shopping AND restriction...sounds like heaven to me.