Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS Bandsters (pre and post op)

I thought maybe those of us with PCOS need our own ongoing thread and place to go for our specific issues and concerns. If you've been banded and you have PCOS I think those of us in the waiting or research stage really need your advice. Has it been hard(er) to lose weight even with the band? Do you follow specific dietary guidelines that are helping? Are your symptoms improving?

Let's get together and share our questions and/or experiences!!!

Polycystic ovary syndrome: Abbreviated PCOS. Hair growth. PCOS is a disorder of chronically abnormal ovarian function and hyperandrogenism (abnormally elevated androgen levels). It affects 5-10% of women of reproductive age. PCOS is also called the Stein-Leventhal syndrome.

Women with PCOS do not ovulate -- they do not release an egg every month -- and they are at significantly higher risk for high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer of the uterus (endometrial cancer). Much of this risk can be reversed by exercise and weight loss.

Medication is generally prescribed to induce regular periods, thereby reducing the risk of uterine cancer. For acne and excess hair growth, the diuretic spironolactone (Aldactazide) can help. And for women who desire pregnancy, clomiphene (Clomid) can be used to induce ovulation.

Studies have indicated that diabetic medications that are designed to improve the action of the hormone insulin may benefit women with PCOS. Long-term trials of these insulin-sensitizing drugs -- such as Avandia (rosiglitazone), Actos (pioglitazone), and Glucophage (metformin) -- for PCOS are underway. The results appear promising. A type of surgery called a "wedge resection" in which a piece of the ovary is removed also helps some women with PCOS.

The cause of PCOS is unknown. However, the ovaries of women with the disease characteristically contain a large number of small cysts. Hence, the name polycystic ovary.

Other common names are polycystic ovary disease, polycystic ovarian disease, and POD.

Common Misspellings: polycystic ovary syndrone, polycistic ovary syndrome, polycistic ovary syndrone

I'm a fellow cyster! I have serious symptoms. Not banded yet, and I acutally found out about LapBand surgery through a medical journal I was reading regarding effective treatment for PCOS....

SOOOOO.... I am hoping it works as well for me as the doctors from that particular study seemed to think it would. I am to be banded on December 22nd! I would love to get my body back under my own control and not in PCOS Overdrive.

I have PCOS. I was on Metformin for a year prior to my surgery. That regulated my cycles. One week prior to surgery my doc stopped the Metformin in fear my blood sugar would bottom out. I went a month without a cycle, but now it comes like clock work. No more Metformin, so I believe losing weight did help me there. But I do struggle with the weightloss, seems like when I follow the rules to a tee, I don't lose, but when I eat what I am craving, within reason I succeed. Best of luck.

I have PCOS and I can definitely say that many of my symptoms are improving as the weight comes off. I am losing the recommended 1-2 pounds a week and it has been pretty easy. I am doing it without dieting, counting points or anything else.

I have PCOS and fibroids. I take continue to take Metformin, but for my diabetes not the PCOS. I have lost fairly slowly, but the weight has definitely come off! It seemed like I could not get it to budge before I was banded. I swear I could effortlessly gain 10 lbs, but have to struggle, exercise, and diet myself crazy to LOSE 10! I really dont know if I could have gotten my weight and health back under control without the band.

It is good to know there is hope and a light at the end of this tunnel....

Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnell! I am a fellow "cyster" and had my band placed by Dr. Ortiz 6 weeks ago.

There IS a light at the end of the tunnell... As of this morning I have lost 28 pounds. I love my band!! My weight loss as been as much or more than other people who had their bands placed about the same time as I did. It is too early to tell if the PCOS symptoms have "died" down but I know the weight loss is making me feel a lot better!

Good Luck!

I have PCOS and have a lot of symptoms of it. weight gain in the midsection instead of the Buns and hips. darkening of the skin around the neck and underarms. hair growing on my double chin. I hate it! Plus periods that were nonexistant. Since surgery in august I have lost 30 pounds and got my period on my own for the first time in my life. I see the darkening on the skin fading also. I'm very happy.

I also have PCOS. I was banded in May and have since lost about 53 pounds. In July I had my first period that wasn't medically induced in years! I have had one every month since. I had my annual exam last month and my vaginal ultrasound showed NO cysts! There used to be so many that you couldn't count them all! My doc even said I was ovulating at the time of my exam and I should have no trouble getting pregnant.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY BAND!

I have PCOS and have a lot of symptoms of it. weight gain in the midsection instead of the Buns and hips. darkening of the skin around the neck and underarms. hair growing on my double chin. I hate it! Plus periods that were nonexistant. Since surgery in august I have lost 30 pounds and got my period on my own for the first time in my life. I see the darkening on the skin fading also. I'm very happy.

Josette this sounds soooo much like me! Thats the thing about PCOS, it doesn't just cause fertility problems, it wreaks havoc on every part of your body. Sometimes I feel it has stolen my femininity. I am hoping to start feeling that again as I lose weight!

I have PCOS and I can definitely say that many of my symptoms are improving as the weight comes off. I am losing the recommended 1-2 pounds a week and it has been pretty easy. I am doing it without dieting, counting points or anything else.

Wow, that is soooo encouraging!

But I do struggle with the weightloss, seems like when I follow the rules to a tee, I don't lose, but when I eat what I am craving, within reason I succeed.

VERY interesting!! As I prepare myself for surgery I have FINALLY started to see the scale go down for the first time in years....slowly...the only change I've made is eating less and not denying myself of things I am cravingm and not beating myself up emotionally after I indulge a bit. Maybe its when our bodies and minds are finally connecting and when your mind is saying "I want this" the body is saying "okay but just a lil" that things can finally fall into place. Just a thought.

Keep up the comments!!!

VERY interesting!! As I prepare myself for surgery I have FINALLY started to see the scale go down for the first time in years....slowly...the only change I've made is eating less and not denying myself of things I am cravingm and not beating myself up emotionally after I indulge a bit. Maybe its when our bodies and minds are finally connecting and when your mind is saying "I want this" the body is saying "okay but just a lil" that things can finally fall into place. Just a thought.
I personally feel that this is how everyone should live. I think that if you deny yourself whatever you are craving, eventually you will break and eat way more of it than if you just indulged yourself and ate a small amount. Indulging yourself keeps you in a better place emotionally and you will be more able to lose weight. Now, I am not saying go out and eat whatever you want, but if you want a special treat, have it.

That is exactly what I am doing. Once I got my band, I said I refused to ever diet again. And, I don't! No counting points, calories, carbs or anything. It has been so wonderful and liberating to not do that anymore. I do make a point of make healthier choices, but that is it. If I want something, I eat it. My band keeps me in control and does exactly what I hoped it would.

I have PCOS, but have found all of my symptoms have resolved with the weight loss. It is a miricle. I have a perfect 28 day cycle, my acne cleared up, the hair stopped growing, my moods got better, and well, I am no longer morbidly obese!

I still get the odd cyst, they burst on their own, but it's not as bad as it was before, and really not that bothersome at all.

hi all!

thanks for starting this thread! I have PCOS and got banded July 21 2006. I have lost 37 lbs since my highest weight. I am so happy to have my band! I did have a bizarre complication however. I was told after lapband surgery by my doctor that he saw a orange size cyst on my right ovary.

Between July 21st and Oct 24th it grew to a watermellon! I had to have emergency surgery with a 7" long incision to get it out on the 24th. I looked pregnant! It turns out that trauma to the body including surgery can cause a cyst to grow! Mine grew and grew. Just something to keep in mind and watch for if you already have functional cysts before surgery. Besides this rather irritating event, I have done great and am on progesterone to regulate my period as I had a lining build up in my uterus and at time of cyst surgery had a D & C. I had my first real period that I can remember ever this month!!!! I am happy to share any of the info I have learned through this experience if anyone wants it.

Careful of Soy products, PCOS is caused by estrogen dominance (which is because fat stores estrogen) and soy is a natural form of estrogen. Loosing weight will also cause loss of estrogen which will help allieviate symptoms of PCOS.

Zoe