Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope to have my surgery June or beginning of july. I feel like the shakes & Vitamins could break the bank :( should I start buying some stuff over the next few months? I have read of the possible taste changing but what are some things that can give my stash a head start? Vitamins were just on sale BOGO at my local grocery store. I didn't know what to get. Any helpful hints? I can not afford $50.00-$100.00 a few weeks for shakes & vitamins. Are any of the supplements prescription or covered by insurance ? What are some cheap but good Protein Shakes or drinks?

http://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-fusion-gastric-bypass-vitamins-supplements.html I use Bariatric Fusion for my Vitamins. I can pick them up at my hospital pharmacy for $25/month & they include all the supplements that my bariatric team wanted me to take. shakes I didn't have a choice with for my hospital & they were about $60/week. If you can pick up any type that you want, you can get some decent sized containers for probably $20/week-ish. I bought my own after surgery. I would recommend that whatever type you go with that it's either "whey Protein isolate" or "soy protein isolate" for the main ingredient (it includes all the essential amino acids that you need to build protein). Trader Joe soy protein isolate went down the smoothest for me (with some sugar free flavor syrups giving it a boost).

try puritan.com, they have great prices on Vitamins. I decided to try the opurity brand chewable Multivitamin made specifically for sleeved patients, but I might look for an alternative when that supply is low. It's about $43 with shipping for a 90 day supply, which isn't THAT bad, but I think I might find something better.

Everyone is different, but here's what you'll likely need:

sublingual b-12

Biotin (I got a liquid version off puritan.com, this is good for maintaining your hair)

Calcium supplement

maybe Iron, depends on your blood work.

because tastes can change, you're best to just get some sample packs of powders to decide what you'll want for your pre-op liquid diet. bjbariatrics.com sells a sample pack of Syntrax powder which is really good, and uses natural sweeteners. Syntrax also makes an unflavored powder, which is what I've stocked up on because it can be added to anything. I suggest the sample pack that I mentioned, then when you figure out what you like, get the tubs off Amazon.com. You can get them as part of their super saver shipping option (it will be listed as "eligible for super saver shipping on orders over $25") at a decent price.

I know it seems overwhelming and expensive, but consider that your grocery bill will be lowered considerably, as will your budget for going out for dinner. If you shop around online you can find lots of good stuff at good prices.

It might be a good idea to pick up a few things here and there that you'll probably want on hand post op:

gas-x strips

peppermint tea (helps with gas and bloating, besides being delicious and refreshing)

liquid imodium-d

milk of magnesia or Miralax

tums or prilosec (check with your surgeon to see if he's gonna give you an rx, some do)

bandages, gauze, tape

hydrogen peroxide

slip on shoes and/or slippers, if you don't already have them. bending over will hurt for a while

I've got all this and more ready to go, but I'm SURE I've still forgotten that one thing I'll reallllly need. :) Hope this helps for starters!

try puritan.com' date=' they have great prices on Vitamins. I decided to try the opurity brand chewable Multivitamin made specifically for sleeved patients, but I might look for an alternative when that supply is low. It's about 43 with shipping for a 90 day supply, which isn't THAT bad, but I think I might find something better.

Everyone is different, but here's what you'll likely need:

sublingual b-12

Biotin (I got a liquid version off puritan.com, this is good for maintaining your hair)

Calcium supplement

maybe Iron, depends on your blood work.

because tastes can change, you're best to just get some sample packs of powders to decide what you'll want for your pre-op liquid diet. bjbariatrics.com sells a sample pack of Syntrax powder which is really good, and uses natural sweeteners. Syntrax also makes an unflavored powder, which is what I've stocked up on because it can be added to anything. I suggest the sample pack that I mentioned, then when you figure out what you like, get the tubs off Amazon.com. You can get them as part of their super saver shipping option (it will be listed as "eligible for super saver shipping on orders over 25") at a decent price.

I know it seems overwhelming and expensive, but consider that your grocery bill will be lowered considerably, as will your budget for going out for dinner. If you shop around online you can find lots of good stuff at good prices.

It might be a good idea to pick up a few things here and there that you'll probably want on hand post op:

gas-x strips

peppermint tea (helps with gas and bloating, besides being delicious and refreshing)

liquid imodium-d

milk of magnesia or miralax

tums or prilosec (check with your surgeon to see if he's gonna give you an rx, some do)

bandages, gauze, tape

hydrogen peroxide

slip on shoes and/or slippers, if you don't already have them. bending over will hurt for a while

I've got all this and more ready to go, but I'm SURE I've still forgotten that one thing I'll reallllly need. :) Hope this helps for starters![/quote']

Thank you sooooooooo much! Huge help! Keep it coming as you learn more :)

supplements.html" rel="external nofollow">http://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-fusion-gastric-bypass-vitamins-supplements.html I use bariatric fusion for my Vitamins. I can pick them up at my hospital pharmacy for 25/month & they include all the supplements that my bariatric team wanted me to take. shakes I didn't have a choice with for my hospital & they were about 60/week. If you can pick up any type that you want' date=' you can get some decent sized containers for probably 20/week-ish. I bought my own after surgery. I would recommend that whatever type you go with that it's either "whey Protein isolate" or "soy Protein isolate" for the main ingredient (it includes all the essential amino acids that you need to build protein). Trader Joe soy protein isolate went down the smoothest for me (with some sugar free flavor syrups giving it a boost).[/quote']

Thank you so much for the helpful hints! Keep them coming!

I bought a bottle of B-12 sublingual at costco. I have to take 1/week. The bottle will expire before I run out of pills! It was about $14, I think.