Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a thyroid condition?

Anyone with a thyroid condition? I've always heard that people with thyroid conditions benefit from losing weight....but when you have a thyroid condition, sometimes it doesn't matter WHAT you do (diet, exercise), sometimes that darn weight just won't come off.

I'm curious if any of you sleever's that had a thyroid condition had success with weight loss, just like everyone else, or if the thyroid problems were/are still a curse.

If you DID lose weight thanks to the sleeve and hard work, have you noticed that your thyroid issues have been any more controlled?

I have had thyroid problems for 30 years. Since my surgery, my medication has been "reduced" 3 times. I assume I will still have to be on it the rest of my life, just a lower dosage hopefully.

I have hypothyroidism and I've lost 130 pounds with about 39 to go, however lately its been a struggle. I recently had my thyroid tested again and after keeping my levels a little high for years it was almost non existent. We just lowered my dose and hopefully I'll start losing again :-)

I have had thyroid problems for 30 years. Since my surgery, my medication has been "reduced" 3 times. I assume I will still have to be on it the rest of my life, just a lower dosage hopefully.

I have hypothyroidism and I've lost 130 pounds with about 39 to go, however lately its been a struggle. I recently had my thyroid tested again and after keeping my levels a little high for years it was almost non existent. We just lowered my dose and hopefully I'll start losing again :-)

Okay, great, that is exactly what I was wondering! I first wanted to make sure that weight loss was still possible, and then I was curious to see if meds were able to be reduced.

WOW, so it IS true that weight loss truly has positive hormonal effects. I had always heard that it did, but this is proof!

Thank you for responding, ladies :)

I've had hypothyroidism for about 8 years now. Take Synthroid everyday. I lost almost 100 lbs. I'm banded now, but I'm gunna revise to sleeve soon (slipped band).

It's harder but definitely doable!

Good luck!

I've had Hashimoto's for 30 years. I just had a checkup with my endo last week and she said she wants to monitor my TSH levels every 3 months until I get to goal. The amount of synthroid I need will probably decrease. When I reach goal she will release me back to my PCP for yearly check ups. She no longer will need to see me because I'm no longer pre-diabetic (woohoo!). If you are on thyroid meds, please see your endo to make sure your levels are ok! I have lost 47 pounds and am losing 1-3 pounds every week. My surgery was 1/17.