Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before and After Stories?

I have been thinking a lot about the different fitness levels of everyone before being sleeved and how much more they can do now the weight has come off!

I think it would be very encouraging for us newbies and for everyone for that matter if all the wonderful sleevers here would be so kind as to contribute a story describing what your activity level was like preop followed by an example of your current postop activity level as a comparison so we can see just how far you have come!

Before and After pics are awesome but I would love to read about before and after activity successes that you have experienced.

I look forward to reading about everyones victories!

Ive always worked very hard.. I work 2 full time jobs and have for ever it seems.. I work in a hospital and in a nursing home doing restorative therapy.. go on vacations.. work is my life.. so I eat on the go and fast food much of the time.. yes ive been heavy for a long time.. after my children of course..and battling cancer as a child didnt help matters.. my parents were always happy when I ate.. I was an active child.. did sports and in highschool too.. was always slightly over wt because of the chemo and sterioids.. but I thinned out some after highschool.. so all was well til I started having kids.. then hello weight gain.. been that way ever since.. then a rude awakening happen.. my mom begin to have health issues.. she was over weight too.. heart trouble.. Fluid over load.. stuff like that.. I could see what the weight was doing to her.. heck I work on a cardiac/cancer floor.. I knew what she was doing and tried to educate her.. but alas too late.. she kept in and out of the hospital.. fluids.. blood clots in the lung.. diabetes.. high blood pressure. then the worst possible thing.. she got a fungus in her lung.. operable... yes.. for her no because of her respitory issues...I lost my mom July 28th of last year.. yes sent me into a depression..and on more wt came... but then My hubby is like.. surgery.. im like what? he said.. we could get the lap band.. and im like huh? so we went to a seminar..and did research..and came here to this site.. found out the band was too easy to cheat on.. so hello sleeve.. I did not want to die like my mom did.. I didnt have high blood pressure or diabetes.. but hey it was gonna hit at one point im sure.. my hubby already had both of those cuz of his weight.. so we both had surgery.. mine dec 20th and his dec 27th.. then God decided to load my plate even more so to speak.. my son was murdered on dec 20th the day of my surgery.. I was devestated beyond words.. how could this happen? to me? it was unbearable.. but I had to keep on.. I had to be strong.. for me and my hubby and my other kids... hasnt been a hard journey.. other than emotionally for me.. but I had my hubby and my jobs have been the best supporters in all that has happened.. I cant believe im down 80lbs... and feeling great.. still missing my son.. and upset over that.. but health wise im great.. my hubby and I go to the gym at least 3x a week.. a trainer made a program for us and we follow it.. my hubby is down 80lbs also and I call him a stick now.. he looks so fabulous.. but he did before too in my eyes.. I cant wait to be a stick too lol.. that will come soon its only been a few months and im very proud of myself for sticking with the program and following all my docs and nurses advice.. and so now God again thinks I have nothing to do other than my 2 full time jobs.. since Ive lost the weight.. they found a mass in my leg.. they arent sure what it is..worst case situation.. cancer.. so a biopsy next tuesday..then wait for results.. he must think I have a huge platter.. but I will get thru this too.. I know I can.. been thru the worst already... but going on a vacation in may on a cruise to Alaska.. cant wait to spend that time with my hubby.. he works 2 jobs too.. runs our construction business and manages a set of condos.. so we are busy people.. .. thats my story so far.. food no longer rules me.. I rule me now. :)))

I have been thinking a lot about the different fitness levels of everyone before being sleeved and how much more they can do now the weight has come off!

I think it would be very encouraging for us newbies and for everyone for that matter if all the wonderful sleevers here would be so kind as to contribute a story describing what your activity level was like preop followed by an example of your current postop activity level as a comparison so we can see just how far you have come!

Before and After pics are awesome but I would love to read about before and after activity successes that you have experienced.

I look forward to reading about everyones victories!

When I started the 6 month diet process, exercise was a four letter word. I couldn't do a lot. Walking was a chore. I started at 338 (my highest weight was 354). Following the doctor supervised weight loss plan (about 1200 calories a day) & joined the Y. I could barely do Water aerobics when I started & only 3 minutes on the elliptical. I wouldn't have ran if I was chased by a masked man with a butcher knife. During that 6 months, I lost 50 pounds!

On May 18th, my surgery weight was 288. I walked the halls every time I had to pee, which thanks to my IV, was once an hour. My doctor cleared me to go back to the gym at 7 weeks post op. I was shocked at how fatigued I felt & that I had to start all over. I was at the gym for 2 hours the day before my surgery. But it didn't take me nearly as long to get back up to speed.

I'm now 11 months out & down 143 pounds total. Ive bounced up & down from 195-205 for THREE months. The scale seems like its going to start moving again soon! I'm 195 pounds right now, from a size 30/32 tops & jeans to a size MD/LG & 11/12 jeans. . I'm 5'7. My goal weight is 160. I'm having a corset trunkplasty on May 28th which is estimated to take off 15-18 pounds of skin & fat in my stomach. The surgeon took a girl similar height & weight loss to mine from a 12/14 to a 6/8 after the surgery. I started saving my taxes & anything I could scrimp together when I started this whole process cause I knew I was going to have stomach skin issues.

Now I can hit the elliptical for an hour to an hour & a half at a time. I lift weight, low weight lots of repetition to sculpt & not bulk. I can RUN! On purpose! I can run a straight 11 minute mile, walk 3 minutes, run another mile, walk 3 more, run again. That's 3 miles baby! I'm training for my first 5K. I plan to run the entire thing. I love Zumba & spinning and can do the entire 1 hour class without issues.

This has been the hardest change I've ever made but so worth it! Good luck to all you newbies, you CAN do this! (If curious about my exercise or food at a year out, feel free to add me on MyFitnessPal, my diary is open. User name: KristieAtkinson)

Kristie

post-31248-13813664834246_thumb.jpg

In all honestly pre op I was a lump. Even doing something as little as routine house work was depressing because then my knees, feet and back would hurt for days. Now I am sooo excited!! even my husband commented the other day that he never expected to see the physical changes he has been seeing. I clean my house all the time now and it doesn't take half the time to do it. I have crazy amounts of energy that i never had and I had sitting still unlike before. Yesterday i went to the gym in the morning and did 30 minutes of circuit followed by a walk/jog for 40 minutes in the evening and I felt fantastic!! I usually ensure that I get at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day. No more back, knee or foot pain!! no more sitting on the couch for hours on end.. no more dirty house :) LOVIN THE NEW ME!!

Ive always worked very hard.. I work 2 full time jobs and have for ever it seems.. I work in a hospital and in a nursing home doing restorative therapy.. go on vacations.. work is my life.. so I eat on the go and fast food much of the time.. yes ive been heavy for a long time.. after my children of course..and battling cancer as a child didnt help matters.. my parents were always happy when I ate.. I was an active child.. did sports and in highschool too.. was always slightly over wt because of the chemo and sterioids.. but I thinned out some after highschool.. so all was well til I started having kids.. then hello weight gain.. been that way ever since.. then a rude awakening happen.. my mom begin to have health issues.. she was over weight too.. heart trouble.. Fluid over load.. stuff like that.. I could see what the weight was doing to her.. heck I work on a cardiac/cancer floor.. I knew what she was doing and tried to educate her.. but alas too late.. she kept in and out of the hospital.. fluids.. blood clots in the lung.. diabetes.. high blood pressure. then the worst possible thing.. she got a fungus in her lung.. operable... yes.. for her no because of her respitory issues...I lost my mom July 28th of last year.. yes sent me into a depression..and on more wt came... but then My hubby is like.. surgery.. im like what? he said.. we could get the lap band.. and im like huh? so we went to a seminar..and did research..and came here to this site.. found out the band was too easy to cheat on.. so hello sleeve.. I did not want to die like my mom did.. I didnt have high blood pressure or diabetes.. but hey it was gonna hit at one point im sure.. my hubby already had both of those cuz of his weight.. so we both had surgery.. mine dec 20th and his dec 27th.. then God decided to load my plate even more so to speak.. my son was murdered on dec 20th the day of my surgery.. I was devestated beyond words.. how could this happen? to me? it was unbearable.. but I had to keep on.. I had to be strong.. for me and my hubby and my other kids... hasnt been a hard journey.. other than emotionally for me.. but I had my hubby and my jobs have been the best supporters in all that has happened.. I cant believe im down 80lbs... and feeling great.. still missing my son.. and upset over that.. but health wise im great.. my hubby and I go to the gym at least 3x a week.. a trainer made a program for us and we follow it.. my hubby is down 80lbs also and I call him a stick now.. he looks so fabulous.. but he did before too in my eyes.. I cant wait to be a stick too lol.. that will come soon its only been a few months and im very proud of myself for sticking with the program and following all my docs and nurses advice.. and so now God again thinks I have nothing to do other than my 2 full time jobs.. since Ive lost the weight.. they found a mass in my leg.. they arent sure what it is..worst case situation.. cancer.. so a biopsy next tuesday..then wait for results.. he must think I have a huge platter.. but I will get thru this too.. I know I can.. been thru the worst already... but going on a vacation in may on a cruise to Alaska.. cant wait to spend that time with my hubby.. he works 2 jobs too.. runs our construction business and manages a set of condos.. so we are busy people.. .. thats my story so far.. food no longer rules me.. I rule me now. :)))

Oh my word. Nancy I am so sorry for your losses. That is unimaginable pain. I am also thrilled to hear about yours and yoir husbands success together. That makes it that much sweeter! Thank you so much for sharing your very personal and motovational story with us all.

When I started the 6 month diet process' date=' exercise was a four letter word. I couldn't do a lot. Walking was a chore. I started at 338 (my highest weight was 354). Following the doctor supervised weight loss plan (about 1200 calories a day) & joined the Y. I could barely do Water aerobics when I started & only 3 minutes on the elliptical. I wouldn't have ran if I was chased by a masked man with a butcher knife. During that 6 months, I lost 50 pounds!

On May 18th, my surgery weight was 288. I walked the halls every time I had to pee, which thanks to my IV, was once an hour. My doctor cleared me to go back to the gym at 7 weeks post op. I was shocked at how fatigued I felt & that I had to start all over. I was at the gym for 2 hours the day before my surgery. But it didn't take me nearly as long to get back up to speed.

I'm now 11 months out & down 143 pounds total. Ive bounced up & down from 195-205 for THREE months. The scale seems like its going to start moving again soon! I'm 195 pounds right now, from a size 30/32 tops & jeans to a size MD/LG & 11/12 jeans. . I'm 5'7. My goal weight is 160. I'm having a corset trunkplasty on May 28th which is estimated to take off 15-18 pounds of skin & fat in my stomach. The surgeon took a girl similar height & weight loss to mine from a 12/14 to a 6/8 after the surgery. I started saving my taxes & anything I could scrimp together when I started this whole process cause I knew I was going to have stomach skin issues.

Now I can hit the elliptical for an hour to an hour & a half at a time. I lift weight, low weight lots of repetition to sculpt & not bulk. I can RUN! On purpose! I can run a straight 11 minute mile, walk 3 minutes, run another mile, walk 3 more, run again. That's 3 miles baby! I'm training for my first 5K. I plan to run the entire thing. I love Zumba & spinning and can do the entire 1 hour class without issues.

This has been the hardest change I've ever made but so worth it! Good luck to all you newbies, you CAN do this! (If curious about my exercise or food at a year out, feel free to add me on MyFitnessPal, my diary is open. User name: KristieAtkinson)

Kristie[/quote']

Kristie, that is so awesome! This is what I needed to hear. I have been really trying to walk 4 miles 3 times a week and doing yoga for 30 minutes 3 times a week. It is still really hard for me and I am looking forward to losing this fat suit so I can move easier. I started out a few m9nths ago barely able to climb a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing.

Kristie' date=' that is so awesome! This is what I needed to hear. I have been really trying to walk 4 miles 3 times a week and doing yoga for 30 minutes 3 times a week. It is still really hard for me and I am looking forward to losing this fat suit so I can move easier. I started out a few m9nths ago barely able to climb a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing.[/quote']

Thank you so much! You will get there, one step at a time! One day you will realize nothing is as hard a it used to be. You will be able to bend in ways you forgot were possible. :)

I can't wait to be bendy ;^) sounds like fun to me, lol!!!

Cardio-wise, I can easily run 2-3 miles now where before surgery it would take a lot of effort on my part just to walk 2-3 miles.

Strength-wise, I'm as strong, if not stronger than I was before surgery. Keep in mind, I've been a lifter for years, but even after having dropped 66 pounds, my max lifts are back to where they were when I was 300+ pounds. What I really like are the body weight lifts such as dips and pullups. With my lighter body weight now (along with the same strength I had before surgery), I can do many more reps on these. Example: before surgery I could get 2, maybe 3 pullups (chinups) at a time. Just the other day I repped out 16 easily.... it was awesome and I nearly got a woodie! Sorry for my crassness there. :rolleyes:

Speaking of a woodie......sex......also improved. And from what I've read on this message board, that seems to be the case for MOST people on here as well.

I can also do yard and house activities with a lot more ease and energy, which is a plus too. It's a lot easier to be active and do all of these things when I know it won't kill me and have me down for a day or two just from push mowing grass or something like that.

Around, it sounds awesome! How far out r u?

Around, it sounds awesome! How far out r u?

I'm 17 months post op

I could walk a few miles (and be exhausted) pre-op. I'm 5 months out now, and can do WAY more than that. I am working on a Couch to 5k program with my husband. I still don't enjoy exercise, but I like that my body can do more than it could before.

I'm only 33 pounds down, but I can move now!!! I can run and do all the things I ever wanted. Its the best decision I ever made!!!

Judy, That is so awesome!!!! I am so happy for you and I cant wait to feel just like you