Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I get the sleeve at the same time my band is taken out?

Or do I have to have 2 surgeries? I assumed that they'd be done all in one, but I read a post that said that someone had to wait 2 weeks between surgeries. How did you do your's? I'd rather have it done all at one. I have a slipped band with all of the Fluid taken out, debating on getting a new band or converting to a sleeve???

Comments??

Marci

I have a slipped band as well. I am converting to a sleeve. I just received insurance approval today and will get a surgery date by Friday ( my surgeon's scheduling secretary is out sick). My surgeon said that he tries to remove and convert in one operation. However, it all depends on what he is presented at the time of surgery. If there is damage that requires healing time or complications I will have to wait a few months and come back for a second surgery. No one wants to have two surgeries but, I would rather do what is best for my body. Good luck with your journey!

I had my band removed and was sleeved all in the same day. My Fluid was removed 1 month prior to my surgery.

Yes I had my lapband removed and sleeve done in the same surgery and did not have a de-fill before surgery. The procedure went fantastic no problems at all.

I'm scheduled for my band removal and sleeve on the same day. My surgeon said he typically likes to wait a few months in between, but for insurance purposes will be doing it all the same day. Mind you I would prefer to have one surgery but on a side note, I think it sucks that insurance gets to dictate how a doctor practices medicine....just saying.

Yep, it can go either way. If your band hasn't done any damage then your doc can sleeve you the same time. As with me .. I had to wait 18 months to recover from the band complications and damage. Good luck

Yep, it can go either way. If your band hasn't done any damage then your doc can sleeve you the same time. As with me .. I had to wait 18 months to recover from the band complications and damage. Good luck

18 mths? Good grief. I will have gained back every lb I've lost by then (actually, I won't - just sayin). I'm hoping they can do it the same day. My dr is 3 hrs away and my husband has to stay in a hotel while I'm in the hospital. It'd also be cheaper to do it just once. Thanks for the info everyone!

Marci

LOL.. When my band was removed I was 104lbs .. To say the least I gain during those 18 months.

It really depends on the surgeon's skill, as well as the condition of your stomach/band. The band can leave your stomach a real mess, making it unsafe to perform the revision at that time.

I had a slip and my band was removed in Dec. 2012, my surgeon, who may seem very cautious, does not offer a sleeve at the same time as band removal, he prefers to play it safe and wait for at least 3 months for the stomach to heal and regain a more normal shape.

I did gain some weight during the 3 months but was sleeved almost 2 weeks ago and things are going great!

LOL.. When my band was removed I was 104lbs .. To say the least I gain during those 18 months.

I hope you meant 204! If you were 104, I'd seriously question your need for the sleeve! LOL

I had my band in for just under 2 years and had it removed and time if sleeve. Best thing ever, good luck to you!

Revision 1/31/13 by Dr Cabrera and Venezuela in MX

Or do I have to have 2 surgeries? I assumed that they'd be done all in one' date=' but I read a post that said that someone had to wait 2 weeks between surgeries. How did you do your's? I'd rather have it done all at one. I have a slipped band with all of the Fluid taken out, debating on getting a new band or converting to a sleeve???

Comments??

Marci[/quote']

I had my band for 6 years and finally decided on a revision. My band was removed in one surgery and sleeve in another. My doctor wanted to give my stomach heeling time in order to make a "pretty" sleeve. He had suggested I wait as long as possible to recover - at least 3 months. I wanted to make sure I still had insurance coverage so I only waited 6 weeks. No complications so far :) I also had a hiatle (spelling ... Err) hernia removed from esophagus caused from band. Good luck in your decision whichever you choose.

Do you have to be a certain weight for band to

Be removed and sleeve done. I have had so many

Complications and pain in the year I have had this band

I am down to 153 but still have 40 to go I want this thing

Out but need to continue my journey

My surgeon required 3 months after taking the band out because of the scar tissue with band! I decided at the pre-op that I wanted the sleeve although my insurance approved the gastric we got it switched but he didn't have me do anything besides not gain weight which I didn't but he required 3 months just personally. I was hoping all at once but you want your stomach to relax from the band and if you have reflux you want that to calm down.