Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100 lbs. Lost...But....

I was sleeved 3 1/2 months ago and have lost 100 pounds. Reaching that mark has been very exciting!

Here's the BUT part: I eat A LOT. I track everything I eat and my daily calories are between 700-800. But I eat a lot of stuff...low-calorie stuff, but what seems like a lot to me. My nutritionist said she was fine with what I eat because I am losing weight.

Here's a typical day:

Breakfast - no sugar added oatmeal (4 oz.)

Snack - Quest Protein Bar

Lunch - 4 oz. chicken salad (no fat may) w/ 5 small soy crisps

Afternoon Snacks - 4 oz. cottage cheese; sugar-free Jello with sugar-free Cool Whip

Dinner - chicken salad again

Evening snack - sugar-free fudgsicle; Special K Protein Cereal (4 oz.)

That's 3 meals and 5 snacks!!! It seems like I need to eat that much to reach my 89 g protein goal.

Anyone else in the same boat?

do you feel restriction or do you feel like you could actually eat more if you tried? I am only 2 weeks out and feel like I can eat way more than I should be able to... I never feel pain when I eat and I have never tried to overdue it...but I always make myself stop when I know I have eaten the amount they say to eat even though I know I could eat more if I tried! I am so worried this surgery won't work for me!!

I don't see anything especially problematic. I'm not a snack person, but I understand why you need to supplement your regular meals to hit your Protein goals.

Do the Jello and Popsicles help toward the Protein goal? Just curious as I don't currently use them.

My only concern (if I was evaluating this for myself) is that I would get into the habit of snacking all the time and what would happen if I didn't have the healthier/lower caloric options available.

Congrats on the 100 lbs loss!!!

I have eaten all day long every day since my surgery. I reached goal at 9 months, and am easily maintaining, while still eating all day long.

It's just what worked for me. If it's working for you, don't sweat it, just keep doing it!

Actually, maybe you are keeping your metablism going by eating so often and that's why you've done so well? Are you getting in enough Fluid? I know I wouldn't be able to if I ate that frequently bc my surgeon doesn't let you drink 15 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating. But 100 lbs in 3.5 months? I agree with your nutritionist...keep up the great work! congratulations!!!

I agree-- you have lost 100 pounds and you are eating well... I see no concern!!

I was sleeved 3 1/2 months ago and have lost 100 pounds. Reaching that mark has been very exciting!

Here's the BUT part: I eat A LOT. I track everything I eat and my daily calories are between 700-800. But I eat a lot of stuff...low-calorie stuff, but what seems like a lot to me. My nutritionist said she was fine with what I eat because I am losing weight.

Here's a typical day:

Breakfast - no sugar added oatmeal (4 oz.)

Snack - Quest Protein bar

Lunch - 4 oz. chicken salad (no fat may) w/ 5 small soy crisps

Afternoon Snacks - 4 oz. cottage cheese; sugar-free Jello with sugar-free Cool Whip

Dinner - chicken salad again

Evening snack - sugar-free fudgsicle; Special K Protein cereal (4 oz.)

That's 3 meals and 5 snacks!!! It seems like I need to eat that much to reach my 89 g protein goal.

Anyone else in the same boat?

AWESOME!! Congratulations on your success!

All NUTs are different, mine wants me to eat every 3 to 4 hours so I'm typically at 3 meals and 3 Snacks, depending on the day. She would also like me to get in between 800-1000 a day. I track everything with my fitness pal and aim for no empty calories. I've recently added in a bowl of Fiber one cereal either in the morning or evening to keep everything moving. You're doing great!

do you feel restriction or do you feel like you could actually eat more if you tried? I am only 2 weeks out and feel like I can eat way more than I should be able to... I never feel pain when I eat and I have never tried to overdue it...but I always make myself stop when I know I have eaten the amount they say to eat even though I know I could eat more if I tried! I am so worried this surgery won't work for me!!

Hi Tannak:

I didn't feel "restriction" as I expected until I was on more dense Proteins and even then, never experienced any discomfort. You are going about it the right way, measure and portion according to what you were told and hopefully you will never feel "pain" when eating. I was one to always eat until I was full so getting in the right frame of mind for that change was important. I still measure everything and happily it is working. Glad you are doing well!

Thanks so much Jerseygirl! You have done so well! We started our Surgery at close to the same weight!! I hope I am as successful as you!! Congratulations!

100 pounds in that short a time sounds pretty darn awesome to me!

Awesome progress! I am 10 weeks post op. I do a shake for Breakfast and 2-3 Snacks a day and 2 meals. My snacks are mostly all Protein. So my third snack depends on where my protein is for the day. I do like to drink the breakfast essintials no sugar add for my night time snack if needed. I am down 36 lbs since surgery today. A total of 70 lbs since Oct. 17th. I measure all my food. Last night I tried a baked lasagna(spinach, chicken and mushroom) I measured 3/4 c. and was able to eat it all. It was also my first Pasta to eat. Again, awesome progress and good luck on your continued success!

I don't feel the restriction or full feeling that so many people here write about. I don't eat more than 4 oz. at a time but feel like I could.

I don't see anything especially problematic. I'm not a snack person, but I understand why you need to supplement your regular meals to hit your Protein goals.

Do the Jello and Popsicles help toward the protein goal? Just curious as I don't currently use them.

My only concern (if I was evaluating this for myself) is that I would get into the habit of snacking all the time and what would happen if I didn't have the healthier/lower caloric options available.

Congrats on the 100 lbs loss!!!

The popsicles don't have protein but Dairy Queen sugar-free fudge bars have 4 grams. Jell-o doesn't have any protein either but it's only 10 calories and counts towards my liquid goal of 64 ounces a day.

Yeah I don't really see the problem either. As long as you are holding yourself accountable throughout the whole day calorie and Protein wise by keeping track of everything you put in your mouth. Right now we cannot eat very much so the snacking will not add on the calories. If it is a habit a year out, then your snacking might add more calories than you expected which could cause weight gain. I keep track of my calories etc. on myfitnesspal. If I don't reach my protein by late afternoon I usually drink one of my Protein Shakes to up the numbers.