Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Satiety foods for post goal hunger?

My quick and easy go to's for feeling full fast are turkey meatballs and hard boiled eggs. I have no idea why but consuming a single hardboiled egg is like eating a full-on Thanksgiving dinner for me in terms of feeling full - its like eating a cannon ball lol. I love nuts and cheeses, but they get a bit slidery for me and I think they can hinder my losses - so I need to watch it with those two favorites. These are awesome if you have not tried them - the fabulous Fat Guacamole Devil! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fat-guacamole-devils/#axzz2VjmPA477

I know you eat Paleo Fidd, I cant remember if eggs are okay - they are for Primal, but I know Paleo eliminates dairy.

Thanks Chimera. Hard boiled eggs are good and i do eat scrambled eggs about once a week, usually for a weekend Breakfast.

I had to recheck when I originally posted this thread because said issues are no longer an issue. Thank God! It is no fun to be hungry all the time as a post op. The way I resolved this issue is to be eating Protein *all*the*time. By all the time, I mean every 2 hours. You must be constantly drinking Water with eating large amounts of protein to protect against kidney stones (protein causes oxidation of Calcium from bones which will harden into deposits in the kidney if water does not keep it flushed out). And if i am still hungry, i eat another ostrich meat stick (60 calories and Fred Meyer sells them now) or a chicken meatball (Costco).

The reason I do this is twofold. 1. To be in a constant non hungry state with very level blood sugar responses and 2. To hit my protein goals of 170 g a day. I do this primarily with different types of Protein Shakes, chicken based protein Snacks, Protein Bars (be very careful as these can get you in trouble if eaten too often) and protein based dinner. Do you realize that 170 g of protein is still only 680 calories? This is definitely not a lot of calories for any 6+ month post op. I fill in the rest of my calories up to approximately 1700 (TDEE - 300) or so with good carbs, good fats and calories that come from supplementation ( green drink, coconut water, super Omega 3, etc all have calories). I do not eat or drink dairy, sugars, starches, breads, etc.

I am not counting anything except making sure I eat 30-40 G protein per meal. for good carbs and fat i try and eat balanced, but am not counting numbers. i use a guesstimate about good portion sizes and good balance of macro nutrients. My good carbs come from lower glycemic fruit like apples ( not the best, but still good) and leafy veggies or broccoli (yum!!). My BMI weight has modulated down 10 lb and my body fat % has dropped to 16% since the original post in this thread. i could do better about tracking, but it is just not my thing. I just stick to a set of simple to follow rules and let everything else fall where it may. My body has been changing shape (broad shoulders, thin waist, powerful chest, etc - still a work in progress). As a guy, this is my goal: to become strong in mental and physical response like an athlete. I also feel good about my appearance and do not mind the extra attention I get. :) furthermore, I get to eat all the time and never be hungry.

It seems like this type of paleo eating would be hard, but it is really not once you practice at it. The lack of hunger from eating makes it really easy to maintain and it also does wonders for preparing your body for an optimal response from daily working out. I could eat like this for a long time as every thing from calories in and calories out per TDEE to hunger levels to nutrition from food seems to bein balance on this Paleo style of eating to optimize results from working out (my current favorite workout is cross fit, but I do a few other strength training activities as well). Energy is amazing.

Hope this post helps someone in dealing with hunger as a post op.

Boy, there are a lot of good recipes on this thread! I am definitely going to make those deviled eggs. I normally hate eggs but I do like egg salad.< /p>

I did get kidney stones and I still have them. :( I try to drink and drink but sometimes I forget. I even had kidney stone surgery to blow them up, but my urologist said I still have a lot of "sand"

I definitely have a Protein Drink for breakfast every morning. I like them and look forward to them. I wouldn't have breakfast if it weren't for them. I hate going out to breakfast because everything on a breakfast menu is full of carbs.

I have a 100 calorie pack of cocoa dusted almonds every night. If they weren't in portioned sized bags, I know I would eat way too many.

What is it about eggs I wonder ... I am nearly 3 years out and if I want to feel like a post-op again, I just eat an egg, over medium, made by me in a frying pan with a little real butter. A homemade egg, or from a very good restaurant (not a greasy spoon) fills me up yes like someone said, like Thanksgiving dinner, oofda!

Another one is lunch meat and cream cheese rolls up, I like turkey and plain cream cheese, roll them up tight like cigars and after only 3 turkeyrillos (lol) I am absolutely shtoofed. :P

What is it about eggs I wonder ... I am nearly 3 years out and if I want to feel like a post-op again' date=' I just eat an egg, over medium, made by me in a frying pan with a little real butter. A homemade egg, or from a very good restaurant (not a greasy spoon) fills me up yes like someone said, like Thanksgiving dinner, oofda!

Another one is lunch meat and cream cheese rolls up, I like turkey and plain cream cheese, roll them up tight like cigars and after only 3 turkeyrillos (lol) I am absolutely shtoofed. :P[/quote']

Thanks for the comments about eggs. It takes quite a bit for me to fill up like a new post op. Meat like chicken and steak do not do it unless I eat too much (> 5 oz). I am going to try eating more eggs!

I also found apples are super awesome at giving me a full sensation. It must be the skin. 1/2 an apple with nut butter after eating 3 ounces of chicken sausage and I am golden...or is that red delicious! Lol!

Made a tasty Soup today - gonna call it West Coast Penicillin :) used fat free organic beef broth, couple packs of chicken breasts, sweet onions, scallions, carrots, celery, cabbage, zucchini, fresh parsley, garlic, basil. oregano and let it simmer for hours. Used forks to shred the chicken in the pot. it is very yummy - I tried it with very little of the broth, mostly the soft chicken and veggies and I am very full after about 1/3 cup. I wish I would have made this for right after surgery - could use an immersion blender to just liquefy the meat and veggies. I will freeze the soup - woohoo for a new taste that is healthy, full of Protein, and easy.

Made a tasty Soup today - gonna call it West Coast Penicillin :) used fat free organic beef broth' date=' couple packs of chicken breasts, sweet onions, scallions, carrots, celery, cabbage, zucchini, fresh parsley, garlic, basil. oregano and let it simmer for hours. Used forks to shred the chicken in the pot. it is very yummy - I tried it with very little of the broth, mostly the soft chicken and veggies and I am very full after about 1/3 cup. I wish I would have made this for right after surgery - could use an immersion blender to just liquefy the meat and veggies. I will freeze the soup - woohoo for a new taste that is healthy, full of Protein, and easy.[/sup']

That sounds so good. I am not the chef in this family so will ask my wife about making it!

Being the chef and gardener she is I am sure she could tear it up making delicious tasty Soups :)

This post is always good to look back at!

Sent from my iPhone using VST