Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I WANT A DIET COKE SO BAD...HOW CAN I FLAT IT OUT

I totally loved my diet coke caffeine fee....have no idea what I loved about it wish being diet and caffeine but it is all I drank. Almost 7 months have not had one and I plan on not having one. Took a drink off daughters to take some meds and I almost threw up. I hated it....girl just hold on a little longer your tastebuds will change. I can't eat fast food tried a fry or tooo way to greasy nasty stuff. If u go long enough u won't crave it anymore. Your doctor said no and believe him and follow his orders that's the best advice.

There's a lot of controversy on this board and others around the whole soda - carbonation debate. As seen in this thread, it can take a passionate turn in either direction. My opinion is that if you want to, feel free to do so. If you don't want to do it, then that's fine as well. I chose the latter for a lot of different reasons. The biggest is that I am truly committed 100% to making this surgery work. If I have to make a sacrifice then I don't think that is too unreasonable. It is very easy to say that an occasional treat isn't a bad thing, and I suppose that may be somewhat true, but think about why we all are here. We had just a bite, then maybe a taste, then it was a sip, then it was small, medium, then large, then it was a Big Gulp, with fries and extra cheese. I think we all owe to ourselves and step back a sec and say, is this the best thing for me at the time? No, an occasional treat certainly isn't going to lead to a failure...or could it? It is really hard to say and it depends on the person involved and their definition of "occasional". We are all so different, and got to this point through different paths and reasons. But the bottom line is that we are all here. Cravings have nothing to do with the sleeve and everything to do with what's going on between the ears. Think of cravings as a bad habit. Bad habits typically lead to other bad habits and the cycle gets more and more bigger, small to medium to large to Big Gulp. OP what ever you decide to do, its what works best for you. I hope that you examine both sides carefully and make the choice that fits your weightloss journey the best. Good luck with what ever you decide!

There's a lot of controversy on this board and others around the whole soda - carbonation debate. As seen in this thread' date=' it can take a passionate turn in either direction. My opinion is that if you want to do, feel free to do so. If you don't want to do it, then that's fine as well. I chose the latter for a lot of different reasons. The biggest is that I am truly committed 100% to making this surgery work. If I have to make a sacrifice then I don't think that is too unreasonable. It is very easy to say that an occasional treat isn't a bad thing, and I suppose that may be somewhat true, but think about why we all are here. We had just a bite, then maybe a taste, then it was a sip, then it was small, medium, then large, then it was a Big Gulp, with fries and extra cheese. I think we all owe to ourselves and step back a sec and say, is this the best thing for me at the time? No, an occasional treat certainly isn't going to lead to a failure...or could it? It is really hard to say and it depends on the person involved and their definition of "occasional". We are all so different, and got to this point through different paths and reasons. But the bottom line is that we are all here. Cravings have nothing to do with the sleeve and everything to do with what's going on between the ears. Think of cravings as a bad habit. Bad habits typically lead to other bad habits and the cycle gets more and more bigger, small to medium to large to Big Gulp. OP what ever you decide to do, its what works best for you. I hope that you examine both sides carefully and make the choice that fits your weightloss journey the best. Good luck with what ever you decide![/quote']

You couldn't have said it any better!!! Thank YOU

I am curious to know what the difference is in drinking say Crystal Light or Coke Zero? I am talking about the chemicals and sweeteners in them' date=' not the carbonation. Any idea?[/quote']

Diet Soda has Acid in it, which from what I read is the hardest on your body of all the chemicals in diet soda. It is supposed to be hard on your organs and teeth. It also has a lot more sodium than Crystal Light.

I know you are saying your are craving it but the chemicals are really not that great for you in diet soda. I am not going to go on and on because it is not like I never drank it in my life.

With that being said if you would like some flat soda go for it just be careful as sometimes sweet stuff makes my tiny tummy hurt and other are successful soda drinkers post VSG

I am 10 months out. I rarely drink soda but my doc(like a lot of other) has a different opinion on it. He said none for a year. I tried drinking it a few times anyway and found that I'm not missing much. I also found out that I can't drink it from a can because it fizzes too much causing pain. I have to pour it over ice and then drink slowly. I never make through a half can. I think the best option is just talk to your doctor and nutritionist. They will have suggestions on what is right for you.

I have had a few drinks of soda. It burned like heck!! My tastes have changed and I miss the convenience of soda but not the taste so much. I have also had alcohol.... Who can go to a PINK concert without alcohol (not me). There is no way you are going to cut out every bad food/beverage item but you do have to have it in moderation. Good luck with your journey.

I know for me, it's actually the carbonation I truly want. Over the last 5 months I've mostly stopped drinking my beloved Coke Zero (I've had three in the last two months). Water, unsweetened iced tea and coffee are my go-to beverages.

However, when I really want some fizz, my usual choice is soda Water with a touch of some citrus flavor and no sweeteners. We have a Sodastream so I can make my own to taste and preferred fizziness, from barely bubbly to next best thing to Pop Rocks going off in my mouth.

I won't say that I'll never indulge in any sweet or diet sodas after I'm several months out from surgery ("never" and "always" are pretty difficult absolutes to live with!), but I will say that I think that unsweetened lightly sparkling water with a twist will be a more healthy compromise when I'm tempted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

Good grief! I drink 2-3 diet sodas every day, but always watered down a bit over lots of ice. It makes me burp a lot, but I don't mind. I'm almost nine months out and eat or drink pretty much anything I want, just can't eat or drink very much of it, which is perfect for me because I'm on medication (anti-depressants) which cause a lot of head hunger that no amount of self-control can overcome. So when I crave a donut, or popcorn, or a diet soda, or nachos or whatever, I just go for it, because i literally cannot say no. Only thing I can't handle is Pasta, it makes me too full too fast and I end up eating too much and then throwing up, so I pretty much stay away from that. I should say I'm at goal and maintaining well, actually still losing at a rate of about one pound a month, so like I said, I'm eating what I want and usually as much of it as I can and am still alive and kicking and my stomach has not expanded, so my advice to the OP would be wait for your doctor to confirm you've fully healed and are ready for regular food, and then try a couple of sips of your diet coke watered down a bit over ice, see how it goes.

its funny that this is the first post i see because I was just in a store with a co worker and she asked if i crave anything. I said not food yet however, i'd give my right arm for a diet coke!!! She wanted to buy me one but i told her know because it would hurt my stomach. BUT DANG I WANTED IT!!