Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regarding the negative feedback you're seeing here. Keep in mind. Most of the people that seek out a site like this either NEED help or are having trouble. People with no worries and no problems are just less likely to be here sitting at the computer looking up this information.

I am getting banded at the end of December, and i've learned that is something you have to bear in mind when you are reading threads on this site. If you've never had a problem with your band, you wouldn't be as likely to be online looking for help.

:-)

Regarding the negative feedback you're seeing here. Keep in mind. Most of the people that seek out a site like this either NEED help or are having trouble. People with no worries and no problems are just less likely to be here sitting at the computer looking up this information.

Wow, that's funny. I would say exactly the opposite! I was extremely happy and VERY active on this board the first 6-8 months of my band. When I started losing that success other than very few (less than a dozen) times did I visit or post on the board because I DIDN'T want to rain on anyone's parade. I've just been feeling a little guilty lately not to express any misgivings or warnings so I logged on again.

But I'm done for now. You obviously don't want to hear it and I really do sincerely hope for you that you are one of the lucky ones.

I am getting banded at the end of December, and i've learned that is something you have to bear in mind when you are reading threads on this site. If you've never had a problem with your band, you wouldn't be as likely to be online looking for help.

:-)

Or...they've given up and gone away because they stopped losing weight and think there is something wrong with them...

BTW...some of us have been online for YEARS...first, as pre-banded; then as newbies; then as successful bandsters; then as not-so-successful bandsters; then as "failures"; then as revisions to something else. So, SOME of us are not here seeking help at all, but offering experience...because we've been everywhere there is to go on the banding journey.

There is no reason to be upset. I am simply giving this person another way of looking at things. Just as you are giving her a different view. As someone considering the band, you can't be focused soley on the negative. Many people have had very positive experiences.

I know what it is like to feel as though something is wrong with me. I know what it is like to feel like a failure. So, do not think for one second I was passing judgement on anyone. That was your own interpretation.

My post was also the result of what others on this site have told me. I went to the complication thread and was scared to death after I saw the trouble some people were having. This is what other long time members on the site told me to ease my mind at the time, and I was simply passing on the idea to someone else.

I respect you and your opinion. I in no way singled anybody out nor did I say anybody was wrong. If you felt as though I said something inappropriate I am truly sorry.

However, there is no need to be so negative towards any of us newbies who are just starting out. Especially when I was only trying to ease someone elses mind... My offering comfort to someone else in no way called either of you a failure nor did I say that I was not listening to your advice. Those were your words... not mine.

I'm dissappointed that you would react in such a way. I've really enjoyed reading both of your posts during my time here and apprieciated your points of view. I wouldn't have thought that either of you would be so short or sarcastic with someone.

No regrets here. I was self-pay and had endless hoops to jump through to get to surgery. I know there are risks -- soem fo which could be financially draining. But I decided it was worth taking on the risks. Staying morbidly obese and continuing to gain was a far worse option. I take one day at a time and hope I am one of the success stories. (And my support and concern goes out to those who have had complications.)

Read and be informed and make the best decision for YOU! There is no rush so take all the time you need toc onsider your options. We are here for support no matter what you decide to do.

Beversman,

You are so right.

I knew the possible issues that might arise, but it was worth chancing. I am so tired of being "a big girl". I know this is the tool to help me change that.

I know you will do awesome on your journey. You have a great attitude!!

There is no reason to be upset. I am simply giving this person another way of looking at things. Just as you are giving her a different view. As someone considering the band, you can't be focused soley on the negative. Many people have had very positive experiences.

I know what it is like to feel as though something is wrong with me. I know what it is like to feel like a failure. So, do not think for one second I was passing judgement on anyone. That was your own interpretation.

My post was also the result of what others on this site have told me. I went to the complication thread and was scared to death after I saw the trouble some people were having. This is what other long time members on the site told me to ease my mind at the time, and I was simply passing on the idea to someone else.

I respect you and your opinion. I in no way singled anybody out nor did I say anybody was wrong. If you felt as though I said something inappropriate I am truly sorry.

However, there is no need to be so negative towards any of us newbies who are just starting out. Especially when I was only trying to ease someone elses mind... My offering comfort to someone else in no way called either of you a failure nor did I say that I was not listening to your advice. Those were your words... not mine.

I'm dissappointed that you would react in such a way. I've really enjoyed reading both of your posts during my time here and apprieciated your points of view. I wouldn't have thought that either of you would be so short or sarcastic with someone.

#1--For the record, I am down 112 pounds from my highest weight. The band failed, for me and for others. Another surgery has worked well.

#2--Newbies who want to be handled with kid gloves, should probably not make statements explaining the motives of others...as in "Regarding the negative feedback you're seeing here. Keep in mind. Most of the people that seek out a site like this either NEED help or are having trouble." I don't need help; I'm not having trouble. I just have something negative to say about the band...in the hopes that someone who came here seeing only pink ponies and rainbows might go into the project with a more realistic view of what ELSE might in store for her.

#3--No one who has REALLY read ANY of my posts would write: "...I wouldn't have thought that either of you would be so short or sarcastic with someone." You must have me confused with someone who is more concerned with tact than with honesty.

Carry on...

Hell no! My life is changed 100%. I'm not the same person I was before the band.

I am hoping to be banded in January 2007. I had my doctor appointment and started wondering if anyone was having regrets that had the surgery - 5 years ago or even 3. I know Sharon Osborn is having her band taken out.

I found a friend of my sister in laws that had the surgery by the same doctor I'm going to 3 years ago. I called her to ask her honestly how she feels. She has had no problems, except occasional PB - when she eats to fast, or wrong foods.

She said she has lost 130 pounds and still misses some of the foods at times, but that doesn't compare to the energy level she has and she said she has NO REGRETS. She loves it and will not give up her band for anything.

Its a good question, and I know there are problems with some people, and I'm hoping I'm not one of them. But I decided that I will do the surgery and see what happens. I'm following the band rules and eating the bandster way and hopefully will not have any problems.

But again, I have to make the decision for me, and decided if this is the right surgery for me. I have read about other complications and it scares me. I know the band is not for everyone, and I am willing to give it a try and honestly stick to the eating that is recommend by the band. So, I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I don't want this to fail or be a failure, which is one of the reasons I've chosen not to share this with anyone right now - my friends & family have no idea - except DH.

I'm going in with a positive attitude, and giving this band my all. I've started eating right - gave up pop, sugar and bread already, even though my surgery is not until January. I've started exercising, and will continue. The band will be a tool for me not a magic cure.

So, if I am a success, I will post 2 or 3 years from now to let everyone know that I am a success. I often wonder why there are only recently banded people posting, or 1 or 2 year bandsters.

I have respect for everyone on this board and their decisions. Geezersue is a great example of someone who didn't let the band failure get her down, she chose something else and it was worked wonders for her and I'm so happy it worked out great (read her one year after surgery story - amazing).

Anyhow, I know I'm rambling on, but the key I wanted to make is everyone should be as informed as possible before getting any type of WLS surgery, read the good, read the bad then make your decision. There will always be ones who regret it and ones that don't, the key is, is this the right decision for you? Its a tough question and only we ourselves can answer that question.

Good luck to everyone.

I think the important thing to remember here is there is ALWAYS going to be someone that had a bad experience or did not like what they had done. nothing is 100% fore everyone.

Just like i had RNY almost three years ago and it is not working for me ( kind of broke if you want) so now i am banded ....hopefully this will work for me ...But would i tell someone to not get RNY ...heck no ..that is their choice and i was one in a few that had issues ...now i would say dont use my surgon for the RNY but it was great and i dont regret haveing it done but it sucks all i have to go thru now to try to get some weight off .....

i think deep down everyone knows what is best for them .....and when you make that choice you have to take the good with the bad....nothing is 100% great ....

Ok that is my two cents !!!

I was banded 9/11/06. I had great recovery and have lost 35 pounds so far. I am off all meds...no regrets only that I wished I had taken Dr's advice a year earlier.

I had my surgery 10/23 and I'm loving life more and more everyday! I feel this is a mind set you have to take on, giving up the bad foods, no pop and etc... I use to think I could never give this stuff up, but I did and I'm not missing anything - it's been 9 weeks without pop and junk food and I'm fine. Do I "taste" things here and there, of course, but for the most part it's a mind over matter thing. I could go on and on about this surgery.;)

No complications for me at all, not even gas pains. I was on pain meds while in the hospital and nothing after that (I have 4 kids to tend too as well). My first fill was 11/21 (1cc) and everything is going great!

My energy level is 10xs what it use to be and eating smaller portions doesn't bother me. I do not have 1 regret - well I do, I sure have done this a long time ago:nervous

Good Luck!

Well since my banding..thus far has been all rainbows and ponies, I suppose my answer is biased.

I have no regrets.

Maybe in a year or so I may have slippage, maybe even erosion or removal. I will clearly not blame the band for "failing me". It has not failed me at all and even if I ever had to have any component of the band removed, I will 100% say it has been a success.

#1--For the record, I am down 112 pounds from my highest weight. The band failed, for me and for others. Another surgery has worked well.

#2--Newbies who want to be handled with kid gloves, should probably not make statements explaining the motives of others...as in "Regarding the negative feedback you're seeing here. Keep in mind. Most of the people that seek out a site like this either NEED help or are having trouble." I don't need help; I'm not having trouble. I just have something negative to say about the band...in the hopes that someone who came here seeing only pink ponies and rainbows might go into the project with a more realistic view of what ELSE might in store for her.

#3--No one who has REALLY read ANY of my posts would write: "...I wouldn't have thought that either of you would be so short or sarcastic with someone." You must have me confused with someone who is more concerned with tact than with honesty.

Carry on...

I feel bad for you. You should try being a happier more positive person. You've done great job with your weightloss, and there is no reason for the hostility.

I like purple ponies not pink by the way, and for the record... you shouldn't single people out. You know nothing about me. I would appreciate it if you didn't see it your job to judge. I did not judge you.

Everyone has the right to form their opinion... just as you did when you started out.

It is not tact nor honesty that was lacking. It was respect.

I certainly hope to find everyone happier, more postive, and welcoming in the future. Good luck to you and your continued journey. I wish nothing but the best for you. Have a wonderful day.

BTW - thank you jules :-)

Well since my banding..thus far has been all rainbows and ponies, I suppose my answer is biased.

I have no regrets.

Maybe in a year or so I may have slippage, maybe even erosion or removal. I will clearly not blame the band for "failing me". It has not failed me at all and even if I ever had to have any component of the band removed, I will 100% say it has been a success.

Telly,

When the band starts to damage the body...that is--IMHO-- a failure. And it sure isn't the failure of the person whse body is being damaged.

BUT, in medical circles, when a patient has NOT lost 50% of his or her excess weight one year out, it is defined as a failed surgery.