Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When are we out of the woods?

Hey everyone.. I am 5 months post op.. When are we out of the woods for any complications?? Just curious.. Next post op drs visit isn't for a few weeks... I am noticing how much more I can eat and drink.. Some things I can tolerate now, that I couldn't early on.. Gulping Water, eating more food (about 1 1/2 cups), carbonation.. Thanks for any of you experiences..

Major complications associated to the surgery are drastically reduced after about six weeks.

Not to say that you can't have complications later on.. but chances are you are out of the woods by now!

As far as being able to eat more, I'm only 4 months out but can eat more than I could a couple of months ago. I have read through the first year you stomach will "relax" some.

Thx Laura.. I kinda figured at 5 months I was ok.. But was a little concerned about the amount of food and Water I am able to consume.. I wasn't sure if it was possible to hurt my new stomach.. Thx again..

The one thing you will notice is that you will be able to eat a bigger volume of high carb "processed" foods (which sucks by the way)

But you will still feel the restriction with dense Proteins.< /p>

That's why the doctors always start with your Protein.< /p>

Yes.. I do notice that!! Why is that?? It us so hard to be "good" all of the time.. I find myself picking at my twins leftovers.. I need to stop doing that!! Easier said then done:))

It's just a cruel twist of fate with this surgery!

I mean eating doughnuts got me here not eating to many chicken breasts. :P

People refer to those as "slider" foods. They just go down easy and "break down" easier than meat. So you can still eat some of those but start with the meat.< /p>

I can not wait until I get my surgery done. I feel like a big tomatoe

right now.

I can not wait until I get my surgery done. I feel like a big tomatoe

right now.

Some day you will feel like a skinny pepper! :)

post-20464-13813663608771_thumb.jpg

Did the gastric sleeve surgery help a lot with your Portion Control over

food?

I haven't been sleeved yet but that is the premise behind getting the sleeve. It forces Portion Control upon us!!

When people say the sleeve is a "tool" they mean it. It will not do all the work for you... It will not make you put down the donut if you want it.

Now I mentioned "donut" in my earlier post. As just a general metaphor..

I'm sure that if I ate donuts now I probably couldn't eat as many as I could before.

But I would be able to eat more junk like say potato chips or popcorn. Than I could a chicken breast! If you want to "eat around" the sleeve and "cheat"

It's restriction you could..

The choice is yours still to make.

I don't want to sound mean! And my last post sounds like a downer :(

The sleeve does work! You just have to work with it. And a big part of that is working on the mental part. Your relationship with food. Now I'm sure someone will come here and say that I am wrong and they no longer "crave" anything bad.... Or it makes them sick to eat junk food. And that may be so for them! Especially in the first few months.

I am 4 months I still feel LOTS of restriction! But not as much on certain "slider" foods I know this because I have tried chips and popcorn.. I have to still make my own choice to eat healthy.

This is not a miracle cure... But it's close :)

Did the gastric sleeve surgery help a lot with your Portion Control over

food?

Yes!