Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HIIT cardio=Puke, am I doing it right lol

Soon after surgery I started walking around the block for about 3 weeks. I got myself a gym membership and slowly built up my cardio from 10mins up to 45min in just shy of 2 weeks. Today I decided to try out some HIIT cardio. I felt great up until I got to my car and puked up a bunch of Water... still felt great though lol.

Anyways, I wanted to know if I am doing it right... I used an arc trainer today. I do a 3min warm up and then go hard for about 1 mins, slow jog for 2 mins then back to hard pace for 1 min. I do this for about 30mins then cool down for about 5 mins. My cardio session was just over 40mins today and it beat me up pretty good. After my initial warm up my heart was between 155-178. Is it bad that my heart rate came so close to my peak HR?

So are these intervals good? I think right now 2 mins is a good cool down for me... any less and I could not do the 40mins I did today.

Opinions please...thanks

Yes your cardio intervals are good. The vomiting was normal too as you pushed yourself hard. Heart rate is ok but try to keep it under 170 for sure and not for the full cardio session. Keep changing up your intervals too, it doesn't allow your body to get used to it and slowing increase your high intervals. You are doing an awesome job, keep it up!!

Congrats on doing so well and being so dedicated. I couldn't live that lifestyle. I tried the body for life program around 1999. It was pretty grueling and I couldn't see myself living that lifestyle. It just wasn't enjoyable.

Congrats on doing so well and being so dedicated. I couldn't live that lifestyle. I tried the body for life program around 1999. It was pretty grueling and I couldn't see myself living that lifestyle. It just wasn't enjoyable.

I am not familiar with the workout program. I was lucky in the sense that I found a program that I love doing. I think seeing the quick results its whats keeping me so motivated.

I had the surgery last month but if you look at my registration date it was back in 2009. Almost 4 years thinking about this surgery, moved to another country and started my own business, had my first child, all put the vsg surgery on the back burner. In that time I lost upwards of 80lbs on 2 occasions only to gain it back and more every time. I finally took the plunge and did the surgery. I figured if I was going to do something this extreme I better go all out post op.

I do understand how you feel! I lost 90 lbs two years ago and just over a year ago got pregnant. I delivered in November having gained it all back plus some. What a disappointment! I worked so hard to get it off and even became a personal trainer while doing it. So it was a quick decision for me to get the sleeve but its the only way I know I will keep the weight off. I have 3 kids and I understand how you can let things I to the back burner but I am glad to hear you are doing something for yourself that will also benefit your family too! I love all the success stories, and just think you are on your way to one of them, proud of you for your determination!

Sounds good! Not sure I would do HIIT for more than the 40 minutes though....if muscle/strength retention is a goal for you. I think there are differing opinions/studies out there, but some people feel that long cardio (45 mins or more) creates a catabolic effect (muscle breakdown for energy). I don't know if that's true or not, so to be on the safe side, I keep my cardio between 30-45 minutes usually. In the end, it's really all about your individual goals, so go for it if it floats your boat. Main thing is, your exercising, and that's a really good thing!

Sounds good! Not sure I would do HIIT for more than the 40 minutes though....if muscle/strength retention is a goal for you. I think there are differing opinions/studies out there, but some people feel that long cardio (45 mins or more) creates a catabolic effect (muscle breakdown for energy). I don't know if that's true or not, so to be on the safe side, I keep my cardio between 30-45 minutes usually. In the end, it's really all about your individual goals, so go for it if it floats your boat. Main thing is, your exercising, and that's a really good thing!

Yeah, most people say to keep HIIT at 20mins max and have read some guys take it up to 30mins. It was my first day and I want to see how far I could take it. It felt good and I was surprised how fast the time was passing by so I kept pushing it.

At first I was really focused on building muscle while losing fat but I feel its very hard to do. I am now more focus on cutting the weight and getting close to goal weight. I am hoping the lifting program and glutamine/protein will help me retain some muscle. At least get me back to were I was before the surgery. I am actually a little shock how much muscle I lost.

I say if you don't notice any issues with muscle loss/strength...then go for it! Everyone is different and their bodies respond in vastly different ways, so I think it's really all about trial and error.

Yeah, or almost impossible from what I hear, especially for people that have lifted before. I don't really do the "bulking/cutting" thing like some people do, but I do cut back my complex carbs on days I don't lift and add a few on days that I do lift. I nearly freaked out the first month or two after my surgery when I noticed my muscles had almost completely left my body. :o I was like....WTF?!?!?!? Looking back, I probably overreacted a little. :unsure: Good luck and keep us updated!

I nearly freaked out the first month or two after my surgery when I noticed my muscles had almost completely left my body. :o I was like....WTF?!?!?!? Looking back, I probably overreacted a little. :unsure: Good luck and keep us updated!

I lifted a lot in high school and about a year or so in my early 20's. I always had good muscle memory and even though I had not worked out in years I always knew I could jump on a bench and do a few reps with 45's. I was shocked that I could barely get a couple reps off with 25 plates. I feel like I lost 70% of my muscle in my upper body. Now its the complete opposite with my lower body. I had no idea how much weight I could handle on a leg press. I dont remember being able to lift that much with my legs 10 years ago. I guess carry around this extra 100lbs made my legs super strong hehe.

I don't really do the "bulking/cutting" thing like some people do

You built some serious gains... you got a solid foundation to take your lifting really anywhere you want it to go. If I can get to where you are in 12-18months I will be a happy camper. I am going to cut down under 200 and decide if I want to go on a bulk or not.

You built some serious gains... you got a solid foundation to take your lifting really anywhere you want it to go. If I can get to where you are in 12-18months I will be a happy camper. I am going to cut down under 200 and decide if I want to go on a bulk or not.

Thanks Mike! I still have a ways to go as far as goal weight and I'm not sure I'll even make it. But to do it, I want to lose slowly if I can, which will help with my muscle retention. I still need some work on my chest and legs though. Yeah, the closer you get to 200, the better idea you'll have of where you really want to be. The Dr's almost seem to put a gun to my head and made me give them a goal weight. I really had no idea, so I'm not sure the 215 suits me now. If I can get to low 220's and maintain, and stay off meds, I'm good with that. Good luck bud!