Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much help did you need in hosp and after home from hospital?

My surgery is 3/18 and my husband will take me to the hospital which is 10 min from our house. We do not have family near us and have a 3 and a 6 year old. Both girls are in full time school/daycare during the week. I was thinking of having my kids spend the first night at a friends house. After that my husband would have to be home in the afternoon and nights/ morn I'd be on my own. I think this is fine because the nurses are there. What support did you have? I would also like to hear about if you we're able to care for yourself when you got home. I want it to be as prepared as I can be and know everyone is different. Thank you and I am so grateful for this group!

my husband was home for a week taking care of my two year old. I would sleep most of the day for the first couple of days because I was soooo tired. I, personally, had a lot of pain in my belly but so many other people say they are just fine. You won't be able to lift them in and out of car seats for awhile too.

I spent most of the first two days at home sleeping. I went shopping and bought everything that I needed before surgery, so I was all set at home. I was able to take care of myself at home, but thankfully my son is grown and I didn't have to worry about taking care of him.

I needed help getting out of bed, reaching into high cabinets, bathing/drying off from the waist down, putting on shoes and socks, and pulling my pants up after using the restroom. (Tip: Don't let them hit the floor because once you stand up it's a long way down to pick them up!)

My husband took a few says off. Not necessarily to take care of me...

I think having the kids spend the night the first night is good.

I had my mom stay one night to help with the kids so my husband could be with me in the evening at the hospital. But after that we sent her home (she lives 3 hours away) and the next day he took over with the kids. And I really didn't need him in the hospital with me I was busy being in pain and walking reading resting!

After I came home I had him go back to work.

You really don't need anyone if you prepare and have everything you need in advance.

Good luck!

Laura

Hi Zen,

First let me wish you luck concerning your surgery! The day of my surgery I had a few people at the hospital. However, I really did not need them there. I was glad for the moral support. I was able to get out of bed and walk the halls a few hours after surgery.Trust me you will want to walk as well. It is the best way to release the gas /air that's trapped inside. I had awesome care from the nurses. They brought in one of those recliners and put it next to my bed. The IV line was long so I could go from the bed to the chair on my own. I was able to go to the bathroom on my own. So you should be fine. Hope that helps.

My hubby went to the hospital with me but he would go home in the evenings. I think it was better for both of us that way bc we got each got rest. Once I got home he just stayed with me that first day I was released. The next day he went back to work. I was able to do everything I needed to do even take a shower. It hurt to her out of bed so I just sat in a recliner but I was told to walk so I mostly did that. Besides I really couldn't get comfortable to sleep. I did have a thing-a-majig to pick up stuff off the floor. That was a lifesaver. It even helped win picking up my pants. It had a little claw that I would close when I squeezed the handle. I even managed to do laundry with it. I got it a harbor freights for less than 7 bucks. I had originally used it to help me reach for stuff under the bed but it has worked beautifully for my surgery as well. Made me more independent.

Thank you all. Too funny about the pants! Now I know I'm not going to get that type of advice at the dr office. :). I wanted to add my mother has offered to visit from out of state when I have the surgery. I'm just not sure if it would make it more stressful.

I also slept the first couple of days and got along fine after that I don't have small kids at home but if I did I would probably have wanted some help the first few days

I needed help getting out of bed, reaching into high cabinets, bathing/drying off from the waist down, putting on shoes and socks, and pulling my pants up after using the restroom. (Tip: Don't let them hit the floor because once you stand up it's a long way down to pick them up!)

I was the same way as above. I am 5 days post op and I took my first shower 100% alone today. Was able to get in and out of bed on my own yesterday, it hurts some but I can do it, using my arm and leg muscles. I was able to put my own sock on as of today. I still cannot bend over to pick anything up off the floor. Slide in shoes are my friend.

As far as in the hospital, you won't need any extra help. The nurses and staff help you as much as needed and if you wear the gown all the time it makes potty time much easier. Adjust the bed to help you get in and out of it.

The first time I got out of bed in the hospital was the only time I required help getting up.....that was mainly because I wanted to make sure I didn't fall over or anything. After that when I needed to go anywhere I needed him to drive me for the first 4 days till I no longer needed pain meds. Once that was over I was fine being on my own. I didn't need him to do anything but those two things. Everyone is different, but I felt more pain from my tubaligation then this surgery.

When getting out of bed it is easier if you "roll"

Out...

I don't know I was just happy to have an excuse to be lazy the first week and stay in my pjs and not cook dinner!

I was wondering the same thing about how much help everybody needed after surgery? I have two kids 7 and 11. How long after can you drive? My husband has vacation coming so we were trying to figure out how much time in needed help at home for. My surgery is set for march 25th a Monday. I was thinking a week maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was wondering the same thing about how much help everybody needed after surgery? I have two kids 7 and 11. How long after can you drive? My husband has vacation coming so we were trying to figure out how much time in needed help at home for. My surgery is set for march 25th a Monday. I was thinking a week maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was told not to drive for 2 weeks after surgery (by the hospital, not my doctor) because if I were to get into an accident, I wouldn't want the steering wheel to go into my stomach. I was laughing at the guy in my head and thinking "uh, hello, air bags!" Needless to say, I was out and driving the forth day after surgery. I was a little nervous because I drive a manual car and worried that I might have trouble shifting gears, but I had absolutely no problems at all.