Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alabama bandster

Kmarie101,

BCBS of Alabama does not pay for this surgery as of yet. I believe MCE is working on getting approval from BCBS. They have to be considered a center of excellance and they are in the process of approval. It may soon be covered under BCBS. As for getting approval from you doctor, I did not go through my primary physician. As a matter of fact, he doesn't even know I have had the surgery. I have not seen him since I have had my surgery so I am not sure what his thoughts are on the lapband. I went to a seminar that Dr. Schmitt was doing at MCE and just started the process on my on. Dr. Miles did my surgery November 13, 2006. And if your BMI is 47 I don't know why your doctor would have a problem with you having the surgery. If she doesn't see you side and can't support your decision, which by the way is your decision in the end, then maybe you should look at finding another doctor. Your doctor should be a team member in YOUR health care. Not someone who is going to fight you on ways to make you healthy.

Thank you, for your reply. Yeah she should be a member of my team, but im sure im not the easiest patient to have. Gosh, that sucks that BCBS of Alabama doesn't pay for the surgery. Why do they think we pay them money for? Oh, well......... My doctor wants to get me healthy she just wants it to be in the form of a pill, but since I am none responsive or alergic to almost every pill my doctor can come up with it is not easy for me. I did lose weight when I joined Curves, but I suffered a severe fall and now have nerve damage in my left foot so I am starting to fell like I am running out of options. Thank you for your information.:biggrin1:

Kmarie.

Hey,

I'm looking for a insurance company that well work for me and my money.

I presently insuranced with BCBS of Ms. with my employer and it does not cover lapband surgery. I am Interested in getting my own health insurance since I got to pay for it I might as well get something that is going to work for me. If anyone knows of a good insurance that covers lapband surgery please let me know.

Hello everyone I am from the Baldwin County area....I have met with Dr. Chris Dyas in Mobile - anyone know any info??? I have united healthcare and waiting at their mercy you could say.....:confused:

I live in Baldwin County. I had lapband surgery March 2006 by Dr. Daniel Lane at Mobile Infirmary. I have BCBS AL and they would not cover. I also have Aetna as secondary, but at the time they did not cover. So I was self pay. However, Aetna starting paying at the end of March 2006. (About three weeks too late for me). I love Dr. Lane - he has been a very supportive surgeon. I do not regret spending the $18,000. My surgery lasted 45 minutes and my beginning BMI was 61. I do not know anything about Dr. Dyas - but good luck on your insurance.

I live in Baldwin County. I had lapband surgery March 2006 by Dr. Daniel Lane at Mobile Infirmary. I have BCBS AL and they would not cover. I also have Aetna as secondary, but at the time they did not cover. So I was self pay. However, Aetna starting paying at the end of March 2006. (About three weeks too late for me). I love Dr. Lane - he has been a very supportive surgeon. I do not regret spending the $18,000. My surgery lasted 45 minutes and my beginning BMI was 61. I do not know anything about Dr. Dyas - but good luck on your insurance.

Thank you so much and keep up the great job you are doing :clap2: ....I have finally made up my mind to do it and just worried now about the insurance and then if they turn me down then I will have to figure something out...Thanks again!!!!!

Glad to see some people on here from Alabama. I live in Moulton, Alabama. My surgeon is Dr. Gregory Adams in Decatur, AL. I will have my last consult on the 28th of February and then we will schedule surgery for 2-3 weeks later, which will be sometime in March. I wanted to do it sooner but I just had gallbladder surgery on 12/11/06 and Dr. Adams wanted me to wait another 6 weeks. I am anxious but nervous about the whole process. Would love to hear your experiences.:)

Hello All, well Dr. Ramos Kelly has my band waiting on me. I am going on the 15th and and me and the band join the 16th, NEXT FRIDAY! I am from Mobile, Al. I hope to here from more Alabama bansters, even though I am still on the outside looking in.

Cheryl

I got banded on 2-16-07 in Mexico by Dr. Ramos Kelly. Am at home and so far doing well. I am checking on a doc from Covington, La for fills, Dr. Thomas Lavin. Anyone heard of him?

Cheryl

Kelley, Hey, Im from Alabama also. Do you live in Anniston, if so Im about 20 minutes from you.

If so I have a million questions for you. It would be great to be in contact with someone close by.

Talk to you soon.

Hello all. I'm in Montgomery and have my initial drs visit next week. I'm going to Alabama Weight Loss Surgery w/ Dr. Miles. I'm soooo nervous! Any advice?:)

Hello everyone in Bama!

I got a surgery date! March 20 at 10:00 - Decatur General Hospital with Dr. Gregory Adams. I will start pre-op liquid diet this coming Tuesday--March 6. I am so ready to get it all over with. I would love to hear from all the Bama people!:eek:

Well, I had my initial visit last Wednesday. I had planned on seeing Dr. Miles in B'ham, but he had an emergency surgery. So, I saw Dr. Schmitt. Not knowing either of them I figured half a dozen of one, six of the other.

Has anyone used him? He seems nice enough (well I guess so...these guys are making money hand over fist from us fat folks!!! they should be nice! :tired)

I'm wondering about how long after the surgery before I can exercise (I would've never thought in a million years that I would ever be concerned about this!) and what the eating schedule is post-op, i.e. how long on liquids, how long on mushies, etc.

I'm self pay, 'cause good ole bc/bs gives you the choice of bypass or stroke, but no banding! However, at least this will allow me to push the date up a little.

Hey Crabcake!

I was banded by Dr. Schmitt on December 18. I cannot say enough about Dr. Schmitt. He has been wonderful. I live about 40min. from Birmingham in St. Clair County. It too am self-pay. The benefit of self pay is that you get surgery faster. I am so glad I had this done. This has changed my life. The day of your surgery they will give you a 5 page print out of things to eat and things to avoid and when you can do what. This will be a big help for you. I have lost 25 Lbs. and I go in Tuesday for my 3rd fill. Good luck and I hope you get banded soon.

Losinit07

Hey fellow Bamians!

I mentioned this on another thread, but I'm going to be using Dr. Fuccundus in Huntsville,AL. Anyone have any experience with him?