Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetarians unite

I have problems with dairy after my sleeve. I have been looking into a Vegan food plan. Posted Vegan topic no replys. It is hard to get Protein without dairy. I am on a new journey of clean eating. Getting off the artifical sweeteners.I do not eat very much processed food and never eat fast food (never did). Keep us posted on your progress..

Dee

Vegan sources of Protein that I've liked have been:

Chia seeds

Quinoa

Vegan protein powders (blanking on the names, sorry!)

Tofu

Gimme Lean vegan sausage is really good, too!

There are also vegan Peanut Butter powders out there (Just Great Stuff brand) and I add that stuff to everything. SO GOOD! That and avocado are my saving graces.

dee, i want aware chia seeds had high protein.....or avocados that matter...Thanks..always looking for new Protein sources.

This thread is gonna make my head explode.

please share with me your game plan in getting in Protein. any recipes you care to share? two great finds ' date='friendship brand Protein percent cot cheese...1/2cup 16 g p over the hill brand milk 11 g p per cup.[/quote']

I'd like to go more veg-- what's the cals and carbs

Sent from my iPhone using VST

has anyone ever tried Peking duck which i used pick up in nyc sounds ago? it was made out of some part of the tofu process i believe...so good..i would pick at right out the tub...i could get some..

The duck recipes I have seen are made with yuba (soy skin)

:D just curious...what everyone eats on a daily basis....

b- wedge of laughing cow ch 2 gp

1/2 . cot ch 16 gp

l- Boca burger with 2 T BBQ Sauce 15 gp

d- chicken seitan about 3 oz 2 T teriyaki sauce 20 gp

s- 1 0z shelled pistachios 6gp

wedge of laughing cow 2 gp

total protein= 61 approx calories=680

OK, here you go, my GIANT list of food I ate today... I try to list almost everything... That dinner list is for a giant salad.

post-3718-13813663623899_thumb.jpg

This thread is gonna make my head explode.

Careful OTR...brains aren't vegetarian. :)

Careful OTR...brains aren't vegetarian. :)

Neither is duck dairy or eggs

Lacto-Ovo-pollotarian

OTR: "Duck" in this thread was referring to a tofu skin dish that does not contain any meat. So yeah, it's vegetarian in this context. I've seen you post before about vegetarian/vegan (when I first searched the board for posts about vegetarianism and VSG), but don't agree with your assessment of what constitutes a vegetarian. I think you are confusing vegan and vegetarian. A lacto ovo vegetarian is a type of vegetarian, and a vegan is a type of vegetarian who does not consume any animal products. A vegetarian does not equal a vegan--but you can be a vegetarian without being a vegan. All vegans are vegetarians but not all vegetarians are vegans. Obviously there are many types of vegetarians that fall under that broader term. So yeah, milk and eggs are vegetarian (lacto ovo vegetarian to be exact)--they aren't vegan....

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=508#

What is a vegetarian?

Vegetarians today come from all walks of life, and all sections of society. They don't generally want to cause a nuisance when they eat out, they just want what most people want: good food and a choice. Sadly this isn't always available.

Identifying a vegetarian

This is our definition of a vegetarian:

• A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with, or without, the use of dairy products and eggs.

Or

• A vegetarian does not eat meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or by-products of slaughter.

There are different degrees of vegetarianism which may be what causes confusion with caterers. The four most common forms of vegetarianism are:

• Lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Eats both dairy products and eggs. This is the most common type of vegetarian diet.
  • Lacto-vegetarian. Eats dairy products but not eggs.
  • Ovo-vegetarian. Eats eggs but not dairy products.
  • Vegan. Does not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other animal product

Eggs: Many lacto-ovo vegetarians will only eat free-range eggs. This is because of welfare objections to the intensive farming of hens. Through its Vegetarian Society Approved trade mark, the Vegetarian Society only endorses products containing free-range eggs.

OTR: "Duck" in this thread was referring to a tofu skin dish that does not contain any meat. So yeah' date=' it's vegetarian in this context. I've seen you post before about vegetarian/vegan (when I first searched the board for posts about vegetarianism and VSG), but don't agree with your assessment of what constitutes a vegetarian. I think you are confusing vegan and vegetarian. A lacto ovo vegetarian is a type of vegetarian, and a vegan is a type of vegetarian who does not consume any animal products. A vegetarian does not equal a vegan--but you can be a vegetarian without being a vegan. All vegans are vegetarians but not all vegetarians are vegans. Obviously there are many types of vegetarians that fall under that broader term. So yeah, milk and eggs are vegetarian (lacto ovo vegetarian to be exact)--they aren't vegan....[/quote']

To each their own, but the term Vegan is not a dietary term, it encompasses an entire lifestyle.

Been there, done that. The term vegetarian is used so loosely in today's world that it has lost it's original meaning.

Have you seen the movie Vegucated? Definitely a must see for anyone considering living on a vegan diet.

To each their own, but the term Vegan is not a dietary term, it encompasses an entire lifestyle.

Been there, done that. The term vegetarian is used so loosely in today's world that it has lost it's original meaning.

Have you seen the movie Vegucated? Definitely a must see for anyone considering living on a vegan diet.

I've been a strict vegetarian for most of my adult life (more than 20 years). I am eating more dairy and eggs post-VSG than I did before, which I'm not exactly happy about, but it will do for now. As I get farther along in my journey, I may try to eliminate them or at least reduce my consumption.

For me, vegetarianism is a lifestyle and deeply rooted in my belief system--akin to others' religious beliefs. It is founded on kindness for all living things and a respect for all life (not just human life).

I do not eat cheeses that contain rennet. I do not wear or buy leather, wool, or silk. I do not eat things with meat stock, and I definitely don't eat Jello. I don't buy Protein drinks that contain Gelatin.

So although I am "just" a vegetarian and not a vegan--I consider this belief to be a huge part of my way of life and deeply rooted in my belief system. It comes from a love for animals--all animals--that I have had since I was a small girl and met my mom's friends who became vegetarians after watching pigs they had raised get slaughtered.

I don't think that vegetarianism has lost its meaning--to me it is more meaningful than ever.

Vegetarian here. Being sleeved April 2nd. Thank you for starting this!

dee' date=' i want aware chia seeds had high Protein.....or avocados that matter...Thanks..always looking for new Protein sources.[/quote']

Oh my bad a avocados don't, I just love them :)