Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I failed my sleep study

I got the call on my way home from work and was told that I have mild sleep apnea and I'll need to go back for a second sleep study where they put a Cpap on me for the night. Apparently I stop breathing 10 times a night for about 10 seconds at a time. August can't come soon enough.

Was the sleep study something you were required to do or just needed to do?

Don't think of it as failure... think of it as another obesity related issue that the sleeve will help you resolve! Hang in there...

You'll feel so much better with a CPAP, I promise.

Can I ask a question about the cpap...I am very very claustrophobic and wondered about having something over my face. I go in for a sleep study next week. Did anyone have a problem with it?

I originally was to be sleeved in August. I too failed my sleep study and I also have mild sleep apnea. I ended up getting sleeved in November. At the time I was really discouraged, but I look at it as a blessing in disguise because it allowed me to really evaluate and appreciate the sleeve. I got my head in the game and here I am now.

They have different kinds of masks: ones that cover your nose and mouth, and smaller ones that are "nasal pillows" and they just sit under your nose and deliver the pressurized air that way. They're easier to sleep with and get used to, in my opinion.

I use a nasal mask, want to try the nasal pillows though. I sleep with my CPAP map nights, but end up taking it off about halfway through the night apparently. I sleep on my stomach, did 2 sleep studies, one I slept on my stomach, the other on my back. On my stomach I didn't show any signs of apnea back on my back I did, so they said I had obstructive sleep apnea. I just considered it a shoe in to get approved for surgery, meh.

I just completed my sleep study two days ago, and have to go back for a cpap trial, as well. As a nurse, I know it helps greatly. I, too am concerned about my claustrophobia flaring up. I can't stand even a simple oxygen mask. I am hoping the sleep clinic I am going to will help me either dispell my fears or offer mask alternatives.

I was really surprised that I had to get a CPAP machine for the surgery when my AHI score on this test was a 6...just barely breaking mild.

They told me without one I would have to stay in ICU where would monitor me closely.

I was really surprised that I had to get a CPAP machine for the surgery when my AHI score on this test was a 6...just barely breaking mild.

They told me without one I would have to stay in ICU where would monitor me closely.

I was the same stats! The sleep doc said he would not have made the recommendation but the surgeon has strict number cutoffs so i used the stupid thing for the 3 weeks of required preop use (yes they check the machine card) and hauled it to the hospital where it was never needed. It now lives on a back closet shelf where it can rot as far as i am concerned!

I had to fill out a form during my first visit and due to my answers I was required to do the sleep study. I plan on using the one that goes over your nose. The full mask was claustrophobic and the nasal pillows were just weird feeling to me when they demonstrated them. I just keep reminding myself that there is an end in sight and I can do this for 6 months.

I got the call on my way home from work and was told that I have mild sleep apnea and I'll need to go back for a second sleep study where they put a Cpap on me for the night. Apparently I stop breathing 10 times a night for about 10 seconds at a time. August can't come soon enough.

Ask the doctor if you only have it when you are lying on your back. When I had my sleep test done I had mild sleep apnea but I would stop breathing for up to 40 seconds many times a night but only on my back. The doctor said he wanted to try something before he put me on a CPAP.

He told me to get a sports bra comfortable enough to sleep in and sew a tennis ball into the back of it. This teaches you to sleep on your side as it's very uncomfortable to roll onto your back. It worked a treat for me, no CPAP, no sleep apnea.

I'll ask about the back sleeping. I know I slept on my back the entire study because of all the electrodes they had on me. I'm normally a side and stomach sleeper.

I was the same stats! The sleep doc said he would not have made the recommendation but the surgeon has strict number cutoffs so i used the stupid thing for the 3 weeks of required preop use (yes they check the machine card) and hauled it to the hospital where it was never needed. It now lives on a back closet shelf where it can rot as far as i am concerned!

I was lucky and found a company that would rent the machine to me. I had to buy the mask, tubing and filter. I plan on returning it next week lol