Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling hope slipping away

Today I had a surgery consultation. I was really impressed with the surgeon and her staff - but I have a feeling she may not clear me. She is concerned about some of my health issues (that could get worse with VGS) and history of depression. I am supposed to go to several doctors to get evaluations on various things, and of course, the psych eval.

I feel like this surgery is my only hope for becoming healthy - now it feels like it might be slipping away. I really trust this doctor - and if she says surgery isn't a good idea - I will listen to her. I'm feeling overwhelmed - I need to make appointments with 3 doctors, start a low carb, caffeine free diet, the list goes on...

If I can't get the energy together to fulfill these prerequisites, I know don't stand a chance at succeeding in the long term. I'm trying to stay enthusiastic and positive about the process...

Thanks in advance for feedback

Today I had a surgery consultation. I was really impressed with the surgeon and her staff - but I have a feeling she may not clear me. She is concerned about some of my health issues (that could get worse with VGS) and history of depression. I am supposed to go to several doctors to get evaluations on various things' date=' and of course, the psych eval.

I feel like this surgery is my only hope for becoming healthy - now it feels like it might be slipping away. I really trust this doctor - and if she says surgery isn't a good idea - I will listen to her. I'm feeling overwhelmed - I need to make appointments with 3 doctors, start a low carb, caffeine free diet, the list goes on...

If I can't get the energy together to fulfill these prerequisites, I know don't stand a chance at succeeding in the long term. I'm trying to stay enthusiastic and positive about the process...

Thanks in advance for feedback[/quote']

Keep your chin up! Make the appointments and chug your way through it! You will pass the psych evaluation....it's obvious what answers they want to hear. Don't tell too much! LOL I have an auto immune disease and sever fatigue and understand it looks like a lot, but it's not as bad as you feel right now. Are there physical health issues that may prevent the surgery?

Wow docbree!

That sounds tough :(

I'm not sure of what your health issues are so I can't speak to those...

But depression! That I know about.. And I can tell you I've had years of meds and therapy and not once has that aspect of my life been an issue with this surgery. I had a psych Visit and having depression didn't hinder me as far as approval.

I would think that if she really didn't think it was a good idea she would not have you go to all these appointments?

So for now I say chin up! Jump through your hoops and work towards getting what you need.

Thanks, Mastiff_mama :) I have RA - and I'm really concerned about not being able to take ibuprofen - the last time I tried that I ended up with a cane and steroid injections. The doctor is concerned about my reflux (she said the surgery is likely to make it worse and I already have moderate esophagitis from it - even with PPIs), and I have pretty bad Iron deficiency anemia that the doctors haven't been able to find a cause for. Several other more minor issues - but they involve a possible pre-existing malabsorption issue. I'm not really sure exactly what else she might be concerned about - most of my other issues are co-morbidities. I have also been on Prozac for years, and she said the surgery could trigger worsening depression and that I might not absorb enough of my medications.

Everything prior to surgery is so overwhelming. There are so many appointments and it's very stressful I just wanted to rip my hair out. Eating is very different after surgery and I still miss hinge eating for that high feeling. I was sleeved on 1/21/13 and I'm still struggling with food. This surgery does not make u eat the right foods. You have to choose the right foods to eat. If you don't then the surgery is so not worth it. I wish you the best and if they say no on surgery....don't give up on yourself!! Maybe its just not the right time for you. If they say yes...make sure you are mentally prepared for the commitment for the rest of your life. . I wish you all the best honey:)

Thanks, Laura-Ven - that really does make me feel much better! I would think that losing weight and feeling better about myself would actually help with the depression. You are right, if she didn't think surgery was a possibility, she wouldn't have given me all these assignments. I am going to try to go cold turkey on the Diet Coke tomorrow :)

I wish you all the best honey:)

Thank you, Angelamarie - that is very sweet of you. I with you all the best, too :)

Oh yes, the diet coke! That's a big one! But you will feel better when you get off it....evil, evil stuff!

And girl you know I am crazy as loon and they cleared me! :P

I can't imagine how you feel or how your depression effects you....I can tell you there are people here who will listen, offer advice and comfort you. May if us have suffered from depression to some degree or another. It's not easy being fat! Some of us are fat for horrific reasons! Probably a lot more than you could imagine! As a high school teacher I'd find myself talking a lot to my chunkier students trying ti get them ti understand why they over eat to avoid a lifetime of being fat. You would be SHOCKED how many confessed abuse and mostly sexual! I wouldn't be surprised if half or more on this forum have experienced this! I was. ..for years! I've been to therapy but never lost my protection! It freaks me out! My abuser is still a big part if my family and has been ever since over 30 years ago! I am only telling this because its a issue with us fatties!

Oh yes, the diet coke! That's a big one! But you will feel better when you get off it....evil, evil stuff!

LOL

Thanks' date=' Mastiff_mama :) I have RA - and I'm really concerned about not being able to take ibuprofen - the last time I tried that I ended up with a cane and steroid injections. The doctor is concerned about my reflux (she said the surgery is likely to make it worse and I already have moderate esophagitis from it - even with PPIs), and I have pretty bad Iron deficiency anemia that the doctors haven't been able to find a cause for. Several other more minor issues - but they involve a possible pre-existing malabsorption issue. I'm not really sure exactly what else she might be concerned about - most of my other issues are co-morbidities. I have also been on Prozac for years, and she said the surgery could trigger worsening depression and that I might not absorb enough of my medications.[/quote']

I have ankylosing spondylitis...similar but opposite LOL if that makes sense! I fuse and you fall apart! LOL I take humira and mobic and can really tell the difference and mu surgeon wont send ne home with stronger pain meds!!!! I hate feeling like I am seeking drugs!

Thank you, Angelamarie - that is very sweet of you. I with you all the best, too :)

I also have RA and I'm on methotrexate. Do u have to take ibuprofrin every day? I know what its like to have a flare up :( I also have been on prilosec for years and had an endoscopy done prior to surgery. The doctor said I have gastritis and a hiatal hernia (which he repaired during the sleeve surgery). My acid reflux is actually better after the surgery. As far as being on prozac for years....I too have been on depression meds for years and being sleeved did nothing as far as worsening my depression.

I can't imagine how you feel or how your depression effects you....I can tell you there are people here who will listen, offer advice and comfort you. May if us have suffered from depression to some degree or another. It's not easy being fat! Some of us are fat for horrific reasons! I've been to therapy but never lost my protection!

I'm so sorry to hear that so many are in this boat - but I'm glad I'm not in the boat by myself. If by protection, you mean the etra weight - I definitely know what you mean. It's a love/hate relationship.

Oh yes' date=' the diet coke! That's a big one! But you will feel better when you get off it....evil, evil stuff!

[/quote']

I WILL buy a diet coke this weekend before surgery and chug that thing ti feel the burn just one more time! I've been off fir months and don't even like it anymore, but loved the burn!

These were my results....just trying to give u hope :)