Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So...Problems....

I am just over a year out from surgery, and am doing well (in my opinion) on the weight loss front. I have lost 100 pounds (285 to 184ish at 5'9"), and am just 10 pounds from what I considered my "stretch" goal weight, meaning what I thought before surgery to be my "thats too skinny" weight. That weight is 175, and is what I am after now. Yet, I have fallen off the "diet" wagon, as well as the exercise wagon, and am stalled.

In all seriousness, I can handle the stall. No big deal. I'm not gaining. I'm at my original goal weight. I'm sure I will pick it back up again and find a way to drop that final 10 once summer gets here. What worries me is this:

I am back to over eating. And its causing digestive trouble that is affecting my day to day activities. I am eating too much (yes, FAR less than what I used to eat, but I am still eating too much), and my stomach is not having it at all. I think what happens (totally guessing here) is that my stomach gets too full, then dumps everything (or at least some of its contents) into the intestines to make room. While I have heard of dumping syndrome, I do not have the light headeness, or any of the other physical symptoms (pain, etc.) that dumping is usually associated with, other than the digestive trouble. While the good part of this is that I think the food is not digested properly so I am not extracting all o the calories from the food, resulting in no weight gain, I am having to make frequest trips to the bathroom lately, and I dont like that. Also, usually the problem surfaces the day after I eat too much, so that makes me think its not dumping as well.

Basically, what I am looking for is this:

Any one who has faced this problem, what did you do to curb over eating? Have you heard of the above situation before, and know it to be caused by or termed something that I am not seeing?

I really appreciate the feedback, and will keep an eye on the thread to respond to replys.

Thanks!

Dumping only happens with gastric bypass patients when they eat too much sugar and I think fat. You are just overeating, having stomach pains because of it and of course going to the rest room more to get rid of the food. I am 4 pounds from my goal and I find I do get lax in your eating as I get closer to goal. With the easter season here I have made a resolve to continue and only eat healthy so that I can reach my goal weight. Go back to basics, lower carb, no processed foods, veggies and eat Protein first. You can do it!

Whether or not sleeve patients dump is highly debatable. I won't get into that but I will say that the calories are still being absorbed. Most calories are absorbed in the intestines not the stomach, so if the food passes quickly out of your stomach or not...it doesn't matter as far as calorie absorption is concerned. The main job of the stomach is like a trash compactor..it manually grinds up the food further for ease in digestion later. Just fyi..

As to the eating...I'd say go back to basics...definitely get back to the beginning. Go back to your very basic post surgery losing phase diet. Not necessarily full liquids...but the lean Protein, low carb way you ate those first few months. Logging your food, weighing your portions...get back to that for a period and I bet you can turn this thing around pretty easily.

If you're not seeing trouble until the next day, I don't think you're "dumping" per se, it may be more your body's reaction to the kind of foods you're eating, or inconsistencies from day to day (really high carb one day, low again the next), but that's not really so important, right? The point is, you're overeating, you know you're overeating, and chances are, down the road you'll be seeing regain if you don't get it resolved. I got sloppy with my eating at about 9 months out, with a "treat" here, and a "treat" there, and it got progressively worse over time, and I ended up with 20 pounds to try to take back off again!

It might help if you can pinpoint exactly where you're having problems. Are you eating too much at a meal? Go back to weighing and portioning. Add veggies if needed to feel more satisfied. Make sure when you're eating that you're focusing on your food, and eating slowly.

Are you snacking between meals / grazing? Try to drink more Water or tea, chew gum, brush your teeth, or switch Snacks to veggies.

My guess is if you can get yourself back on track with a diet that doesn't vary so much from day to day, the digestive issues will sort themselves out.

OilSooner, in addition to the above good comments, I suggest you start tracking your food too and see if there are trigger foods that are causing your GI distress (look for patterns). I haven't had your symptoms, but I do find that my body really can't handle fats well. I always have to be careful eating anything fried or cooked in a lot of fat (i.e., shrimp scampi) because that sort of food really hurts in my sleeve (which is a good thing; keeps me from eating junk I shouldn't eat).

Also, are you getting enough Fiber in your diet? Loose stools often means not enough Fiber.< /p>

I guess what I am suggesting it to pay attention to what you eat and see if you can find patterns/links, and make changes from there.

BTW -- I'm also struggling with losing weight after some weight re-gain (and unfortunately I had never even gotten to goal before I started regaining). I also know I eat too much, too, especially when I see posts about what people are eating. I'm always shocked at how stringent most people are. Then again, that explains my lack of success! I keep my diet at 1,000 calories a day and find it to be very challenging most days to do that. Only eating 600 or 800 calories a day seems like an impossibly low amount, even considering my sleeve. I am sure I would lose weight faster being that strict, but holy moly I would be a hot mess too. I am not one of those lucky sleevers who has no hunger pains. I get hungry like clockwork every 3 hours or so. And while I definitely have some head hunger issues, it's not just head hunger -- it's real hunger pains. So, I find it a huge challenge to distribute 1,000 calories in a day where I'm having the physical need to eat every 3 hours or so (that's 4-5 meals in a typical day).

Keep us posted on what you find out please! :)

It is not easy to stay on track. I really don't believe ur having dumping symptoms. Ur tummy does not like the over eating. So it's telling u to get back to basics of Proteins, little carbs, and exercise. This will help ur tummy heal and get the eating monster under control. U can do this! We all can do this. Make sure ur not grazing, plan ur meal,, and get a lot of exercise. :) I'm right there with u. ;)

As to the eating...I'd say go back to basics...definitely get back to the beginning. Go back to your very basic post surgery losing phase diet. Not necessarily full liquids...but the lean Protein, low carb way you ate those first few months. Logging your food, weighing your portions...get back to that for a period and I bet you can turn this thing around pretty easily.

This was said so well it is deserving of a repost! Additionally realize that your head is what is going to need to change in order to make this effective long term. Even though our stomach are much smaller then they were, it is still not healthy or productive to revert back to our old habits....overeating.

Strive to think like a skinny person, food is fuel and nothing else. We don't pump gas until it's flowing over the tank do we? Learn what amount of food your body needs to make you feel satisfied, not full. This is a learning journey we are on.

I do have dumping and I don't think in your case you are dumping. Maybe I'm wrong, but I usually get heart palpitations/racing heart rate and I feel ill. Literally I have prayed to become sick so that it will pass. My dr. described it as too much sugar/too much fat introduced into the system and the body squeezes all the Water out of your cells and rushes it to the sugar zone, usually the tummy and that gives you the heart palpitations, etc. I sip Water and sometimes that has helped... however, to get back in "control" of your eating... you need to figure out your triggers. Best way to do this, tracking. I use my fitness pal and love it.

I agree with the other posts that gave wonderful advices to 'back to basics'... as well as work on "mindful eating" - they have books on this and you could always go see a counselor to help you work through whatever your issues/triggers are (we all have them!). I struggle with emotional eating as well; however, that's another reason why I work out like a fiend (well ....and I love hard workouts).

Please know, you can change it. It just takes work.... Best of luck.

You have gotten great advice. I work hard to think about my overeating triggers. I have identified a few foods that just don't have a spot in my home - and oddly Peanut Butter tops my list. I seem to be able to eat large quantities, and probably all the carbs in it trigger me to overeat in general. Crackers or chips are another. I used to try to tell myself I could control it... not like was inhaling the whole bag or anything! But, I would, thriughout the day have more then I needed and lets me honest, what does it really contribute to your good health? I still love good tasty food, but, foods primary role is fuel and nutrition. I reserve the idea of a "treat" for something truly special - and I am sorry but crackers, chips and Peanut Butter simply do not meet my new, higher standards!!!

Find your "gateway drug" food and just keep the crap out of the house!

I also find that going moderate to low carb really helps. I still have 1-2 premier Proteins a day - high Protein and low carbs. My old way of thinking would be "oh, I am eating too much and those Protein drinks are adding even more calories!" My new way of thinking is "trust my body to respond.. when I feed it correctly it gives me better feedback and I eat less. I need the Protein to get the carb cravings under control, so drink it!"

I know this is controversial, but some people find that going hardcore for a few days can "reset" you. this is the 5 day pouch test or something similiar. I personally think it depends on your personality if that is a good idea or if it is just another crazy ass diet thing and a set up for failure. I only did it once and it honestly did help me reset on eating low carb.

A final suggestion is to ask yourself if there is an emotional reason for sabatoging yourself. I found myself facing some fears about being thin... like.. hard to believe I could be scared of that but i really was. Some things came out about my past that I wasn't really consciously aware of. Facing those head on resulted in losing the last few pounds to get to goal. I don't know if that was a coincidence or what, but it happened that way!

Sleevers can most definitely dump and i have done it more than once. It's horrible and it's more than diarrhea.

It seems to go away after a few years though, and then you're stuck with gaining weight from eating those wrong foods. You need to learn to eye ball what you sleeve can hold if you're not going to measure.Measure out a cup of food and spread it on a plate so you can see what one cup on a plate looks like.

If you eat too much, your stomach will hurt and you will gain weight so you're going to have to learn willpower. The sleeve still involves willpower,.

I can testify that you can most definitely dump with a sleeve (but I don't believe that is what you are doing)or without one for that matter. I have had medically diagnosed dumping syndrome for 15 years. Mine is much better now, but in the beginning I could dump ingesting ANYTHING and that included Water. It was a miserable existence. Like I said, it is much better now but I do still have episodes. Mine is associated with having a gallbladder removal. About 50% of people without a gallbladder experience some type of dumping syndrome.

I did not see anyone mention it above, but many artificial sweeteners can cause gastrointestinal disturbances. Some of them even mention it on the package. I have found Splenda ties me in knots and causes me to dump terribly. My father, who is a diabetic, also experiences dumping from Splenda. Maltitol (found in sugar-free candy) is another culprit. Some of my other friends with the sleeve actually buy a bag of sugar-free Werther's candy and eat it to make themselves dump when they are severely constipated. If you do not normally eat fiber (bread, crackers, cruciferous veggies) adding a sudden overload of that can also cause tummy upset. I suggest that you get yourself a Myfitnesspal account, set it to 3 meals and 3 Snacks a day and track every bite that goes in your mouth. This will help you know what is hurting you and also help you get a reign in on your eating. The sleeve did not fix your brain, just your stomach. YOU are going to have to exercise some will power. No one can do this for you. You have to make up your mind you are worth it. My Myfitnesspal account/friends are as important a tool to me as my sleeve is.