Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United health care chiceplus 5yr obesity history

Ok here is my story (short), ive been over 200lbs for like 7-8yrs and that makes my bmi between 32-39 and just found out i gotta have a 5yr history of being obese. What i didnt know is that its probably a bmi of 40+ or if under then i would need comorbidities. Well it wasnt 40+ and no comorbidities....im so upset because i really had my hopes up for this. I am so ready to finally get help losing this weight and feeling and looking better! Then this! Has anyone been denied by uhc because of the same issue? Can anything be done at all to help my chances???? Please help!

I have the same requirement with UHC. I would just meet with the surgeon and discuss this. My surgeon's office said that with this requirement the insurance company is just wanting to make sure you didn't weight 150 pounds last year and all of a sudden shot up. Have you had all your preop testing done? If not, you may not know of any comorbidities that you might have. I didn't know I had sleep apnea until I took my sleep study test. If your surgeon doesn't think you will qualify, I don't think they will put you through all the testing. That's the best way to start. Good luck....

I've been in your shoes !!!! Good luck I'm having a hell of a time getting approved! Already been denied..... I'm 5'5 as weigh 217 right now...... So my BMI is over 35 which is the min. I've done all my lab work have pre diabetes which is medicated and waiting on my dr to write a letter saying my cholesterol is border line... Hoping me medicated it! So I can have my 2 cormorbites... I have my 6 month diet ... Talked to phyco.... Did sleep study .... Now I just need to enroll into bariatric program but can't until I have TwO medicated health issues..... I've been dealing with this since JUNE!!!! It's hard and so stressful ! Good luck to u!

Whats funny is some people are getting approved who just became over weight. It def depends in insurance plan. Im gonna continue with this and see. Yes, i just had labs and EKG last week. I have high.cholesterol but not medicated, been tested before for diabeties but im not even pre diabetic. I have acid reflux but also not medicated i just take over the counter crap...lol maybe i should conplain to my doc about it. If uhc care pays 100% of sleep study then ill do it but the bills are raking up and only my husband is working im in school. I have the appts set next week for therapist and nut. Hopefully they dont break our account. Im trying to stay positive since i havent been denied yet. :)

On my plan they didn't cover sleep study.... But they gave me a discount since I had insurance..... I owe 400 for my sleep study

I was denied by my past insurance for sleep study, sleep lab said when i get uhc they should cover but i havnt gave them my uhc card yet to see. But just one.comorbidity isnt gonna do any good i think i need two and surgeons office said high cholestorol isnt one...she said it had to worse than that...i dont get it cuz it can cause health problems...maybe she ment i needed more than just that one...idk ill have to ask. Im gonna call sleep center tomorrow and try and get that going cuz my husband says i have it...he.said he has to bump me to get me breathing again at night and i guess i snore pretty.bad! Lol

I hated the sleep study... I don't even think i slept.. Wires all over your body. Stuff in your nose.... In your mouth and I'm a stomach sleeper and they said I really needed to try to sleep on my back. Good luck

I hated the sleep study... I don't even think i slept.. Wires all over your body. Stuff in your nose.... In your mouth and I'm a stomach sleeper and they said I really needed to try to sleep on my back. Good luck

I was worried about that too! cuz if u dont sleep i heard u gotta come back cuz it was a failed test ugh

Im so sick of uhc telling me one thing but telling surgeons office another. Now they are saying no 5yr history required, but they told me there was one! I just dont want any surprises! Got my nut and phsyical therapist appts tomorrow. Then all thats left is to do one support group. Wish i could do it closer or online. Ugh

They told me there was a 5 year history required. That's crazy that they can't get their story straight. My insurance was submitted yesterday. I am really keeping my fingers crossed. I am nervous as heck.....Good luck!!

They told me there was a 5 year history required. That's crazy that they can't get their story straight. My insurance was submitted yesterday. I am really keeping my fingers crossed. I am nervous as heck.....Good luck!!

Oh yay!,good luck!!!!

All of them are different. It depends on your employer. Have you talked to your insurance to see what the requirements are?

Oh sorry! You spoke with the nurse with your insurance company? What was their reason for the denial?

Ya it depends on your plan and from my experience no matter how much u call or who u talk to you get a different answer. Is there a nurse line through uhc? Id like to call and see exactly what is needed. Do you have the number?