Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting opinions...

I say your life & health have no price tag. That being said, just because something is more expensive, doesn't make it better. Personally, I would feel more comfortable doing it with the more expensive one only because you said the other one is not it a hospital. Like others have said, go with your gut, if you find the cheaper doctor is good and has good reviews, experience, etc. after doing all your research and you trust him, go for it but, don't choose him for the sole reason that he is cheaper.

I'm having my surgery in an outpatient clinic in Louisiana on the 25th. The dr ask all patients to stay in a local hospital of their choice for 3 days and he makes rounds at the hotel every evening. I personally know 15 people that used this same Dr and loved him. It saves me about $4k in this area.

I had my surgery at a day clinic in the US. They were unable to do blood transfusions and couldn't handle the complications I had so instead I suffered immensely and nearly died. I would NEVER recommend having this anywhere else but a hospital! (or the option below of going right to one after surgery, but even that would scare me....I went through hell waiting for them to send me to a hospital).

Just deciding to have surgery is a hard decision, let alone all the other factors we must weight: location, cost, reputation, etc. For me, I cannot put a price on my health. I simply had to take it out of the equation. I have been blessed to have my insurance approve me however I had been in contact with a Mexico surgeon that I felt was one of the best and who happens to be one of the most expensive. I believe this surgery will improve my quality of life and when I lose weight and have more energy, I figured I could always earn more money. :)

Is the surgeon that doesnt work with the hospital in a private facility? Thats what it sounds like. I would go with the private facility all day long. You usually get faster, more personalized service because they can do what they want and dont have to bend to every whim of the hospital but thats just me.

I had mine in a private facility and I am so glad I did.

I had been struggling with this very question ever since I decided I'm moving forward with surgery. I am also a single mom and have 3 great kids who only have me to depend upon. They are my motivation for my decision. I personally looked at 3 price ranged surgical experiences and factored many things into my decision. Surgeon experience, technique of the surgery, I choose staples with a reinforced stitch line over it to reinforce also the surgeon I choose removes the excess fat from the organ prior to surgery for a clean incision in the stomach. Reputation was considered, hospital was very important to me, I compared 3 different companies health questionaires that they asked me. The first one had a 1 page health page that hardly asked me anything. The second one was much more through, and the price was the best. The third one asked the most comprehensive medical history, and gathered the most history on me. It made me think. I'm coming from Canada, I've had surgery before, I know the things I was told before any other surgery before why are they not either asking me for this medical history info especially when they are not my regular Dr's. or why are they not informing me of information like don't wear nail polish or have on acrylic nails during surgery which both of these things are prerequisites of prior surgery I've had in Canada for the heart monitoring. So I ended up deciding on going with the top Dr which wasn't much more overall. For me I had to think about price as one factor but not the only factor. I would just be aware be informed, know what your buying, what level of care, and go for the best within your budget. I'm scheduled for April 8th, please let me know how you are doing????????

Personally, I wouldn't want to have this surgery any place but a hospital. My recovery was slow, and I was in for 2 nights, and my doc really would have liked for me to be there three. It is a major surgery and while the vast majority do fine, the potential complications require the skill/services of a hospital.

If you are self pay, you might be able to negotiate a better deal with the surgeon. They accept less from insurance providers, so sometimes if you are paying cash up front, they will also work with you. Same goes for the hospital. It would be worth asking.

Tough call. In a perfect world we'd have plenty of money to spend towards a surgery such as this. Alas, we do not. I think it's important to find balance between to two. I don't think it's an impossible task either. A challenge but not impossible.

Amanda Rae

I had been struggling with this very question ever since I decided I'm moving forward with surgery. I am also a single mom and have 3 great kids who only have me to depend upon. They are my motivation for my decision. I personally looked at 3 price ranged surgical experiences and factored many things into my decision. Surgeon experience' date=' technique of the surgery, I choose staples with a reinforced stitch line over it to reinforce also the surgeon I choose removes the excess fat from the organ prior to surgery for a clean incision in the stomach. Reputation was considered, hospital was very important to me, I compared 3 different companies health questionaires that they asked me. The first one had a 1 page health page that hardly asked me anything. The second one was much more through, and the price was the best. The third one asked the most comprehensive medical history, and gathered the most history on me. It made me think. I'm coming from Canada, I've had surgery before, I know the things I was told before any other surgery before why are they not either asking me for this medical history info especially when they are not my regular Dr's. or why are they not informing me of information like don't wear nail polish or have on acrylic nails during surgery which both of these things are prerequisites of prior surgery I've had in Canada for the heart monitoring. So I ended up deciding on going with the top Dr which wasn't much more overall. For me I had to think about price as one factor but not the only factor. I would just be aware be informed, know what your buying, what level of care, and go for the best within your budget. I'm scheduled for April 8th, please let me know how you are doingdde03ddc3c[/quote']

May I ask who you decided to go with?

For sure, I think it's important for us all to remember that this is a very personal choice. Just do what your gut tells you, listen to your instincts. You'll do great!

Good reputation,basic hospital, right price....

I don't need the "top doctor in the world" But I want someone who has a few thousand procedures under his/her belt and has a decent reputation. I don't want to be in an outpatient facility. I want a hospital... Even a very very small hospital like MiDoctor just makes me feel better.