Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet and diet coke

I loved a diet coke. A few years ago I gave up caffeine and didn't miss it at all. I started drinking them again in the last year. One i chose this surgery I just stopped. I don't miss it. I did go through a chick fila diet lemonade kick for awhile before my preop diet. I can't drink it now. Too much Splenda. I drink Water for the most part.

You can do it and I bet you won't miss it either!

I quit cold turkey after surgery and took advantage of the wonderful pain meds going through my body to counteract the usual caffeine w/d headache!

See those were my thoughts exactly. I'm going to be home recuperating so I might as well lose the caffeine too. I know I'm not going to have any and I will stick with it. It won't be a choice anymore. It will be a necessity.

See those were my thoughts exactly. I'm going to be home recuperating so I might as well lose the caffeine too. I know I'm not going to have any and I will stick with it. It won't be a choice anymore. It will be a necessity.

Susie, I think you're doing the right thing. You wont be able to drink it after surgery (it would be very painful) so just wait until then and quit cold turkey.

I don't drink diet coke but I did like those flavored bubbly waters you get at safeway etc. I drank the sugar free ones right up until surgery and then just quit drinking them and haven't had one since. You have two weeks after the surgery to recoup, so just do it then hun and it will be relatively easy.

To this day I sometimes thing that a diet soda might taste good and I've taken a sip of DS's a couple of times but even a sip bothers me. The bubbles are too big and I've lost the taste for the chemicals (ironic since I'm sitting here drinking an Atkins Protein drink full of chemicals LOL).

Susie' date=' I think you're doing the right thing. You wont be able to drink it after surgery (it would be very painful) so just wait until then and quit cold turkey.

I don't drink diet coke but I did like those flavored bubbly waters you get at safeway etc. I drank the sugar free ones right up until surgery and then just quit drinking them and haven't had one since. You have two weeks after the surgery to recoup, so just do it then hun and it will be relatively easy.

To this day I sometimes thing that a diet soda might taste good and I've taken a sip of DS's a couple of times but even a sip bothers me. The bubbles are too big and I've lost the taste for the chemicals (ironic since I'm sitting here drinking an Atkins Protein drink full of chemicals LOL).

[/quote']

Thanks. I appreciate your support. I am set to quit but I also have to work so this is he best way for me to manage it until surgery. Thanks so much.

You'll do fine susie.

If we were talking cigarettes or pizza or chocolate or any other vise that you can easily continue AFTER surgery, I'd say stop NOW don't wait a day, but with the soda thing...honestly you can't drink the stuff after surgery for quite some while without having a lot of pain with it, so really there is no question, you will stop. You have no option, so waiting makes sense.

I for one drank champagne every day the week prior to surgery :P I have it now again on rare occasions, just a glass and only on an empty stomach, (because then the carbonation flows through you without getting stuck behind food and blowing up your tummy) but my other bubbly obsession is completely gone. I bet yours will be too :)

The great thing is you are thinking about this now. So many people go into this thinking they'll be the one case who does not have to give up their vice, no matter how bad it is. You're going to do great ;)

I was a Coke Cola person about 4 a day . My Dr . Told me don't dare try to have one after I was sleeve bc it will cause a leek . I had my sleeve on Tuesday and really don't miss it .

Stacie

I was drinking about a 2liter of diet coke a day up until the 26th of jan. my surgery was on the 28th. I defiantly think cold turkey is the way to go. You are so busy with everything after surgery you don't even realize you haven't had it.

I think most of us relate, I could drink a 6-12 pack of diet coke a day it was gross! I quit cold turkey but you need to replace it, I drink unsweet tea, I saw the post about snapple and crystal light, start experimenting with your new replacement. The good news is once you are over it- it tastes yuckie! You are doing great!

Soda was main staple for me......all will be well

I was a 6-8 cans of diet coke a day person as well. Made the transition from diet coke to crystal light energy and now have almost gave that up as well. Now its Water, iced tea, and regular crystal light. The biggest help was not having it in the house to drink. Hang in there you can break the cycle.

I start pre-op diet on Monday. I have to have 2 Protein drinks a day and one small meal. Drink lots of Water. I am caffeine addicted specifically diet coke. I'm going to give it up for sure once I get sleeved. I can't quit right now bc with my sleep apnea I need a boost to get through the day. I'm going to try to drink only one a day on my pre-op diet. Not the best but I can't suffer withdrawal symptoms right now. I have to work since I'm already gonna take two weeks off for the surgery.

My question is how did you all handle your own soda addiction? Please don't reprimand me that I should have quit drinking soda a long time ago. I will when I get sleeved bc I will be home and if I go through withdrawal at least I'm not working.

Susie

I know you said you were worried about getting through your long days at work without the boost. Have you ever tried liquid vitamines? I have a bottle of "source of life, red" liquid vitamines and a small bottle of liquid B12.I When I take those in the morning I feel like I'm on an energy high that feels so good. No speedy heart, just good solid wide awake. Give it a try, it might be a help in quiting soda if you are looking for that result.

Also, its a good way to move into a liquid vitamine before surgery. I know allot of people go with chewables but I fell in love with my liquid ones. I get mine at super supliments or you can go online... good luck sweety. I'm sure you will make it all work out.

I'm a Diet Coke addict as well....I've thought about trying to quit before surgery, but the more I think about it the more I think going cold turkey might be the only way to go for me.

I quit cold turkey the day before surgery. I really haven't been tempted other than wanting something besides Water to drink. I don't honk I had withdrawal symptoms but if I did the pain of the surgery covered that up. I was sleeved on 2/19 and I haven't had a Diet Coke since 2/18. So quitting cold turkey worked for me. Granted right before surgery I weaned myself from the Diet Coke. I went from drinking 6 or more a day to only drinking 1. So that also helped as well.