Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you keep your surgery a secret?

Initially I planned to tell only my husband and kids and a couple close friends. As it has gotten closer and has become real, I have been telling more people. Everyone is supportive and excited for me. My husband went on a diet with me -the rat bastard lost 50 pounds to my paltry 15 - and has been supportive.

So I would say play it by ear ad do what is comfortable for you. It has become much easier to talk about the more I do so. And I have found support in the oddest places. Good luck!

It was never a secret for me.

My husband went on a diet with me -the rat bastard lost 50 pounds to my paltry 15 - and has been supportive.

Isn't that the way is always is with men? They just think about dropping a few pounds and POW! Gone! I agree, Rat Bastards! :P

I wanted to tell just my inner circle too but low and behold one of them text message the entire family. Which caused stress for me. Had it to Do it again I'd only tell people who need to know those include and especially the stranger I met last week who was grateful that I shared my sleeve testimony to.

Had a wonderful Hubby and older sons who took wonderful care of me. It was a great experience.

I am about 80% open about the VSG surgery. All friends, family members and those in the medical industry will get complete honesty and, in fact, will get to hear about the glorious benefits of it. I still have not told work about it nor have I seen but one coworker since having VSG ( told her about my exercise and diet which is completely honest, just did not bring up surgery). I am not sure I will ever bring it up with my work sphere of people. What do others think about this?

I am about 80% open about the VSG surgery. All friends, family members and those in the medical industry will get complete honesty and, in fact, will get to hear about the glorious benefits of it. I still have not told work about it nor have I seen but one coworker since having VSG ( told her about my exercise and diet which is completely honest, just did not bring up surgery). I am not sure I will ever bring it up with my work sphere of people. What do others think about this?

I don't blame you, Fiddleman--in general, I think it's good to keep health stuff separate from work/business. What if they see the ad you are in as the VSG poster guy, though? :-)

I get a lot of comments at times about my weight loss. But, I'm not ready to tell work folks yet. I did share my weight loss story with a stranger and truly enjoyed telling them. This person needed to know and was very interested. I don't Mind sharing to help others. But not ready to just tell work just because.

The only people that knew while I was going thru my 6 months was my family and my best friend. I have told a few other close friends that I was having surgery but I didn't go into details so they really don't know what it is or what to expect to happen to me. Im trying to wait as long as I can before I announce it to everyone.

I don't blame you' date=' Fiddleman--in general, I think it's good to keep health stuff separate from work/business. What if they see the ad you are in as the VSG poster guy, though? :-)[/quote']

Then the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. :)

The only person that knows is my husband........ His family especially my mother in law, and father in law have always been very critical of my weight. They never understood what he saw in me and they showed that by the way they would talk to me or look at me.....

My family have watched me struggle my whole life and took me to many doctors for "help"....but they don't really understand how hard it is to be overweight.

I just feel , I want to be treated normal... and if I tell people they will say..... oh , of course she got surgery... she couldn't do it on her own.....

so, I am just really tired of being judged. I just want to be normal.

As I'm getting closer to insurance submittal, I am anxious to talk to 2 people that I trust.....right now only my hubby & a sibling know......still not sure I will share it with anyone else.....

The only 2 people that know are my sons

I haven't told anyone else so I thought I would have to go through this alone but thanks to this site I wont :-) my surgery is this Tuesday 25th

You absolutely won't have too go it alone...this site is super helpful :) good luck to you