Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Um, can I get that on tape please?

Today I had my post surgery follow up and my doctor and NUT said something to me that nobody has said in years. He looked at me and said, your weight loss is great but I need you to eat more calories, stop for a milk shake or get a Frappacino if that's what you fancy. You have my blessing to do what it takes.

After I picked my jaw up I just laughed. Good news is I've lost 37 pounds!

So let me get this straight. Your doctor recommended consuming the same foods that made you overweight in the first place because you aren't getting enough calories? I realize he is a bariatric surgeon, but that sounds like really bad advice. There are ways to increase you calorie intake without resorting to milkshakes. Wow.

I'm 5 weeks out, I can only "stomach" (pun intended) about 600-700 calories. Doc says I need to drink the extra calories (about 1000 a day he says) since I can't eat them. Even drinking is a trial but I can get a Starbucks Tall down over the course of an hour. I find every week I am doing better, I definitely am getting more variety now so that's good.

Doctor and the NUT and yes, consuming too few calories sends your body into starvation mode and makes you sick. I'm supposed to do this for two weeks and then go back to see him to re-evaluate.

I don't think it was bad advice, I was not feeling well and he frankly saved my life after a bad Lapland from another doctor. I lost too much too fast, so he is trying to put the brakes on then restart. But I understand why you would go to that reaction first.

Huh, this is interesting. So, how many calories does he think you should be getting? I am 6 weeks out and can eat a max of 1000 calories in a day and that would be the result of eating full fat dairy and snacking between meals. I noticed that when I got this in check, my stall ended and I began losing again. A few days ago, I ate some vegan key lime pie (tofu based but with sugar in it - I don't dump) throughout the day (old habits die hard) and my weight loss stalled again. I really am curious what the ideal is at this point. I do worry about starvation mode. Can you elaborate more on what your doc said about this?

He says 1000. He also recommended Boost or Ensure to add in the calories in drink form, that may be an option for you. I can't do dairy so the milkshakes are out for me, he knew I couldn't drink one anyways, I'd get 3 sips in and hit a wall.

This is one of the things that frustrates me about this surgery. You are supposed to eat enough not to go into starvation mode, but yet I cannot get down more than about 600-700 calories a day. I just can't do it. And yes I am in a stall and frustrated. I am 5 weeks out and annoyed at the irony of it all. But theres no way I'm going to start drinking milkshakes. LOL

I forgot to add that I did talk to my NP last week about the stall, and she said I need to up my activity and Fluid intake- nothing about getting more calories in...

Every one of these doctors has their own rules, that in itself is crazy, so you get on here, see all the conflicting advice and it makes you more crazy. I really just posted this because I thought it added a bit of levity as it was so unexpected. I went in because I was achy and feeling like I was getting the flu or something.

Stomlin-the net is FULL of conflicting stories but the NUT directed me here for best explanation.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/04/27/starvation-mode-are-you-eating-enough/

I'm thinking the Ensure or Boost is the way to go, I cannot endure another Protein shake, one already kills me.

My surgeon directs his patients to keep their calories at 600 until they hit their goal. In my case he projects I should lose 45 lbs the first 3 months, 30 lbs the 2nd 3 months, and 20 lbs in the last 3 months, for a total loss of 95 lbs in 9 months. Then I will up my calories to maintain.

So far I am not having any problems staying at 600 calories a day...but I am praying my hunger doesn't return for at least 8 more months!

My surgeon directs his patients to keep their calories at 600 until they hit their goal. In my case he projects I should lose 45 lbs the first 3 months' date=' 30 lbs the 2nd 3 months, and 20 lbs in the last 3 months, for a total loss of 95 lbs in 9 months. Then I will up my calories to maintain.

So far I am not having any problems staying at 600 calories a day...but I am praying my hunger doesn't return for at least 8 more months![/quote']

This timeline helps. I am 11 days out and have lost 7 lbs and eat about 500-600 cal a day. I just don't see how I will lose 45 in 3 months. I'm afraid to eat real food and not lose but I know that's crazy.

Every one of these doctors has their own rules' date=' that in itself is crazy, so you get on here, see all the conflicting advice and it makes you more crazy. I really just posted this because I thought it added a bit of levity as it was so unexpected. I went in because I was achy and feeling like I was getting the flu or something.

Stomlin-the net is FULL of conflicting stories but the NUT directed me here for best explanation.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/04/27/starvation-mode-are-you-eating-enough/

I'm thinking the Ensure or Boost is the way to go, I cannot endure another Protein shake, one already kills me.[/quote']

That website is really interesting and confirms a lot if what I have been thinking

It is disconcerting how we each get such different directions from our surgeons!

Milkshake??!!! The In n' Out chocolate shake has 600 calories. I eat less that 800 a day. Bunches of sugar, virtually no Protein. I wouldn't do it, but that's me.

I'm 5 weeks out, I can only "stomach" (pun intended) about 600-700 calories. Doc says I need to drink the extra calories (about 1000 a day he says) since I can't eat them. Even drinking is a trial but I can get a Starbucks Tall down over the course of an hour. I find every week I am doing better, I definitely am getting more variety now so that's good.

I was sleeved on 12.12.12... And I don't find what your doc told you to be crazy! My dr said along the lines of about the same thing... He told me to get an extra 300 cals a day some how... I asked how... he asked what do you enjoy? I said Starbucks lol... He said so have it!