Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just cant do the protien shakes! Help!

I don't know if anyone is following this thread any more but instead of starting a new one, I thought I'd try this one.

Introduction: My name is Michelle and I'm 37 and live near Houston, TX. I have a BMI of 40 with no other comorbidities except metabolic syndrome. My doctor has suggested medical weight loss surgery and recommends the sleeve because I do not want the side effects my mom had after gastric bypass and the band has not proven as succesful for long term weight loss.

However, I'm afraid of making a permanent decision and not being able to get enough nutrition because of an inability to drink Protein shakes my whole life. A couple of years ago, when my BMI reached 37 I tried the liquid diet program and could not make it a full 2 months, even with 3 shakes and 1 small meal, because I could not tolerate the shakes. I got to where I threw up every shake except chocolate and then after a week of 3 chocolate shakes a day and one small meal, I was angry and resented the chocolate and couldn't bring myself to drink it. I was also exhausted and nauseated much of the time, due to being in ketosis. So I quit the program. I had lost 17 lbs in 6 weeks but have gained it all back and then some. I have averaged a weight increase of 10 lbs per year for the last 7 years but have no evidence of thyroid problems - much of it is Portion Control, bad choices, and a sedentary life due to a very busy job where I sit in front of the computer all day (and evening).

The sleeve seems like a good solution - I need the tool that the sleeve offers which is portion control. I love healthy food - I eat fish and vegetables for lunch on a regular basis. I already cook with 94% lean hamburger when I cook meals, prefer chicken to red meat - I just don't stay full long so I eat more. And more. And more. Unless my taste changes where I no longer like Mediterranean food, I expect I will be able to eat a diet of lean meats and vegetables with only an occasional bite of Desserts during special occasions without feeling like I'm missing out on anything (I have read that happens on this board when reading as a lurker).

But I'm worried about getting enough Protein because of not being able to stand the shakes.

Has anyone else been in this same situation with the shakes/drinks and do you have a recommendation? Or do you get to a point where you can get protein without having to do the shakes?

Thats a good idea never thought about adding it to my coffee. Are we only supposed to have Decaf as they never really specified that and ive had occasional regular coffee

I was not able to do Protein Shakes either. I was able to get them down for about a week after surgery and hey started making me nauseated. My dr was more concerned with me not getting dehydrated than getting in Protein at that point. When I was able to eat, I was able to get in my protein that way- supplementing with Protein Bars. I am 4 months out now and must eat every 2 hours or so to get in all the protein and calories but all is well.

I was not able to do Protein shakes either. I was able to get them down for about a week after surgery and hey started making me nauseated. My dr was more concerned with me not getting dehydrated than getting in Protein at that point. When I was able to eat, I was able to get in my protein that way- supplementing with Protein Bars. I am 4 months out now and must eat every 2 hours or so to get in all the protein and calories but all is well.

This is encouraging. I was thinking that eating the protein bars might be challenging because they might be harder to digest.

Does your body make loud digestive noises after eating those?

One of the reasons I wanted to consider this surgery and not bypass is I was hoping the gurgly noises were only a side effect of that surgery. :\

You can talk with a NUT about how to overcome this. The one thing my NUT had me do was take carnation dry milk flakes and add it my Soup. That helped get my Protein levels up. I don't think you should give up though without talking to a NUT. There are so many different variances in program diets. Some even allow you to start eating right away!

I hope you can find an answer.

i`ve never had Protein Shakes. doctors in greece don`t prescribe them and yet we survive. you can get all the Protein you need from normal food. ask your nut to help you with this but generally if you eat lots of chicken, fish and yougurt you should be covered

Another vote for EAS Carb Control Rich Chocolate!! I LOVE that stuff!!!!

This is encouraging. I was thinking that eating the Protein bars might be challenging because they might be harder to digest. Does your body make loud digestive noises after eating those? One of the reasons I wanted to consider this surgery and not bypass is I was hoping the gurgly noises were only a side effect of that surgery. :\

I have noises no matter what I eat, but they are not bad at all. My told me that if I did the bars to make sure I was getting in all the Water or my body wouldn't absorb the Protein. I get pure protein bars from Walmart. 20 grams of protein and only 17 carbs.

I don't know if anyone is following this thread any more but instead of starting a new one, I thought I'd try this one.

Introduction: My name is Michelle and I'm 37 and live near Houston, TX. I have a BMI of 40 with no other comorbidities except metabolic syndrome. My doctor has suggested medical weight loss surgery and recommends the sleeve because I do not want the side effects my mom had after gastric bypass and the band has not proven as succesful for long term weight loss.

However, I'm afraid of making a permanent decision and not being able to get enough nutrition because of an inability to drink Protein shakes my whole life. A couple of years ago, when my BMI reached 37 I tried the liquid diet program and could not make it a full 2 months, even with 3 shakes and 1 small meal, because I could not tolerate the shakes. I got to where I threw up every shake except chocolate and then after a week of 3 chocolate shakes a day and one small meal, I was angry and resented the chocolate and couldn't bring myself to drink it. I was also exhausted and nauseated much of the time, due to being in ketosis. So I quit the program. I had lost 17 lbs in 6 weeks but have gained it all back and then some. I have averaged a weight increase of 10 lbs per year for the last 7 years but have no evidence of thyroid problems - much of it is Portion Control, bad choices, and a sedentary life due to a very busy job where I sit in front of the computer all day (and evening).

The sleeve seems like a good solution - I need the tool that the sleeve offers which is portion control. I love healthy food - I eat fish and vegetables for lunch on a regular basis. I already cook with 94% lean hamburger when I cook meals, prefer chicken to red meat - I just don't stay full long so I eat more. And more. And more. Unless my taste changes where I no longer like Mediterranean food, I expect I will be able to eat a diet of lean meats and vegetables with only an occasional bite of Desserts during special occasions without feeling like I'm missing out on anything (I have read that happens on this board when reading as a lurker).

But I'm worried about getting enough Protein because of not being able to stand the shakes.

Has anyone else been in this same situation with the shakes/drinks and do you have a recommendation? Or do you get to a point where you can get protein without having to do the shakes?

I can't understand why you hate Mediterranean Food. There is so much variety in it, and so many recipes that look perfect even to the people living in distant areas such as India, that are known for their great food recipes. Just look at the link of site linked through hyperlink and you will know a lot about it.

Edited by Nauman Ahmad

I like the EAS rich dark chocolate carb control shakes too. My NUT is concerned that they aren't a Meal Replacement. She keeps pushing Bariatric Fusion which tastes disgusting. Any suggestions? Currently I'm 3 days post op and on Clear Liquids till Sunday. Then I move up to full liquids and Protein Shakes. The thought of those again makes me want to gag.

I tried them all, Premier Protein is the best so far, 30g on a 11oz bottle.