Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow losers that are maintaining or close to goal

I just posted on a "stall/slow loser post". If you can see me sig you can see how my lose has been going coming up on my year in a few weeks. I'm not at goal but I just don't feel like I need to "do" anything to make the weight come off "quicker or better". I stick to my plan most days and I'm happy with that. I caution all of the more newly sleeved folks to not even give themselves a label like "slow loser" within the first 6 months. I really didn't even realize I could be considered a slow loser until a few weeks ago now that I have enough months worth of data and weight loss numbers to see my trends. I guess I "dieted" and stressed myself so much prior to being sleeved that for me this surgery really was the savior I wanted it to be. Everyday my body may not being losing pounds according to the scale but my mind is losing its obsession with food and and my spirit feels freer. I hope that this continues for me and when I make it to my scale goal that I don't lose all that I've gained!

This is a life time journey and not a race. Each and every one of us are unique in our weight losses. It's pretty much a miracle that we have improved our lifestyles, health and eating habits. I have surpassed my surgeon's goal at weight loss, but I haven't reached my goal yet. I don't consider myself a slow loser by any means and my heart goes out to Coops who hasn't reached her surgeon's goal yet and I know how frustrating that is for her. I love how she is determined to make that goal and is making the appropriate changes to kick her weight loss into gear. She is my hero...... I am not at goal, but am working hard on eating healthy and small portion sizes. We will will struggle with our head hunger and our weight will fluctuate, especially when we are learning to deal with our head hunger. LOL But this is our learning curve and we still are determined to stick to it. Some give up and go back to his/her old eating habits because they don't have the ability to self discipline themselves and get a little more organization going. But they will eventually go back and let go of the lbs by going back to basics if they choose to. This is a new way of life, and yes, we can stretch our stomach out if we eat way too much. Maybe not to where it was before, but even a little makes a big difference.

Cheri thank you so much for your postings, they have been so helpful to me. Most people on the site are so loving and caring that this is like a family to me...

Hey! *waves*

Just found this and was compelled to post!

Just want to say, thank you to each and every one of you who posted kind words about me! Heart warming indeed!

The reason i don't post that often nowadays is because I feel that many newbies and not so newbies don't think my journey is successful cos I ain't at goal. Often I will post and my comments are over looked... I guess I can't be bothered to be ignored!

However, I do pop on here most days and stay in touch with my sleeve friends!

I am sure my story is not uncommon, the fact that I am still around here is more to do with me being proud of my achievements, regardless of that stupid scale, whereas others might see not reaching goal as a failure.

I have to be honest, I was in that failure place... and believe me it was dark, damp and ugly. I really had to kick my own ar*e - with the lil help of my cyber friends (you know who you are) - and get on with it!!

I've said it elsewhere, so forgive me if you've read this before...

Over the last 2 - 2 1/2 years there has been many 'issues' in my personal life that has really knocked me for six, and only now on reflection can I see that I have come through them as a better, stronger person - with no weight gain - NSV right there.

I was told that I was peri menopausal 2 years ago, but I have had the 'symptoms' a long time before that - I just blamed my weight! I am now menopausal at 41 yrs of age, and although it is not an excuse, I do feel that is part explains why my body has stopped losing and would seem rather comfortable at this weight! Stupid body.Since being sleeved I have also had other health complaints... are they other reasons for my lack of weight loss? Who knows!

The upshot is that I've been in a stall for nearly 18 mths. I've exercised, dieted, done the refeed, taken time out and so on with no results on the scale. Do I stop trying... hell no! My sleeve is precious to me, it has given me a life back that I never thought I would ever get! There is no expiry date on this bad boy!

Will I make goal? Dunno! Do I care... yes!!!

For those of you who know me, you will know that I will keep on keeping on... I've got my eye on the prize!

Oh and to Celebrate my 'failure' *coughs*, I mean success I am getting a TT with uplift this week. And that will only mean one thing... yep! Me rocking a new pair of skinny jeans...lol!

Seriously though, if you consider yourself a slow loser, cut yourself some slack. Take a deep breath and remember the bigger picture.

I used to say that my journey to goal was the scenic route because it is much prettier!!

Hey! *waves*

Just want to say' date=' thank you to each and every one of you who posted kind words about me! Heart warming indeed!

The reason i don't post that often nowadays is because I feel that many newbies and not so newbies don't think my journey is successful cos I ain't at goal. Often I will post and my comments are over looked... I guess I can't be bothered to be ignored!

I am sure my story is not uncommon, the fact that I am still around here is more to do with me being proud of my achievements, regardless of that stupid scale, whereas others might see not reaching goal as a failure.

I have to be honest, I was in that failure place... and believe me it was dark, damp and ugly. I really had to kick my own ar*e - with the lil help of my cyber friends (you know who you are) - and get on with it!!

Over the last 2 - 2 1/2 years there has been many 'issues' in my personal life that has really knocked me for six, and only now on reflection can I see that I have come through them as a better, stronger person - with no weight gain - NSV right there.

I was told that I was peri menopausal 2 years ago, but I have had the 'symptoms' a long time before that - I just blamed my weight! I am now menopausal at 41 yrs of age, and although it is not an excuse, I do feel that is part explains why my body has stopped losing and would seem rather comfortable at this weight! Stupid body.Since being sleeved I have also had other health complaints... are they other reasons for my lack of weight loss? Who knows!

The upshot is that I've been in a stall for nearly 18 mths. I've exercised, dieted, done the refeed, taken time out and so on with no results on the scale. Do I stop trying... hell no! My sleeve is precious to me, it has given me a life back that I never thought I would ever get! There is no expiry date on this bad boy!

For those of you who know me, you will know that I will keep on keeping on... I've got my eye on the prize!

Oh and to Celebrate my 'failure' *coughs*, I mean success I am getting a TT with uplift this week. And that will only mean one thing... yep! Me rocking a new pair of skinny jeans...lol!

Seriously though, if you consider yourself a slow loser, cut yourself some slack. Take a deep breath and remember the bigger picture.

I used to say that my journey to goal was the scenic route because it is much prettier!![/quote']

Coops, I couldn't imagine anyone not appreciating ur feedback or point of view. Ur an inspiration! I think it's a whole hell of a lot harder to continue to persevere when not getting immediate results. That takes dedication and a whole lot of determination. I've been reading ur posts for the past year! Thank u for continuing to post and share ur journey with us. And WOOT WOOT tummy tuck!!!

Hey! *waves*

Just want to say, thank you to each and every one of you who posted kind words about me! Heart warming indeed!

I used to say that my journey to goal was the scenic route because it is much prettier!!

You are an inspiration and those that choose not to listen to your advice are foolish. It is those who can persevere through adversity that come out stronger and wiser on the other side. You could have thrown in the towel and given up because you have not met your goal YET (big yet, not never), but you have continued on. That takes way more strength than the person that loses it all in 6 months. If that happens, great. But it does not mean that they did anymore than you did. And, I think you look gorgeous!

I started at a very high BMI - over 50

My surgeon and NUT refused to set a goal for me. They told me that too often they have seen people lose MASSIVE weight but because it wasn't some number on a scale, feel bad, get discouraged which can lead to the whole regain cycle. Started my preop at 308#, my highest weight was 332 - big girl here.

Anyway, I shared my initial goal of getting under 200# - they felt that was very do-able.

When I shared my ultimate goal of getting under 158# - they were worried about me...lol

I took their feedback to heart and in truth, I almost stopped losing when I was in the 190s. I thought long and hard about the challenges of maintenance and the risk of regain. I appreciated what they were saying - weighing under 200# is just a crapload better then weighing over 300# so count blessings and don't freaking let it get you down!!! I would rather weigh 190-200 and maintain it then get down to some other number and start the cycle over again... regain and feel bad.

for those of you that aren't quite at some magical number, consider that maybe it is "okay" for your own mental health. You already know you have extended your life by reducing your obesity so much.

Anyway, after a few months of "resting" and having very slow losses I decided to "go for it" and have made it to the 150s 14 months post op. This morning i weighed 155, not a light number but very close to a normal BMI. The thing of it is, I look a good healthy size, i have a big frame and I can't help but notice that I look a little older as I get even thinner. I think I like looking healthy and younger over skinny and older - I didn't know how freaking vain I am ...LOL

So, I am saying all this because while I understand acheiving goal weight is very personal, and not a decision someone else can make for you - I encourage ALL OF US to not let some damn chart or a number on a scale drive how we feel about ourselves. Sometimes I feel huge around the very petite Asian women I know and then I just have to tell myself that I am living my own life, not theirs. I like how I look, it is appropriate for the body God gave me and I need to not worry about other people's dang business!!!!

One of the reasons I am having the lower body lift and boob job is because that massive skin makes me feel obese even when I am not.

Coop, if you declared yourself victorious, everybody would see it that way too. Honestly, I don't think people over look your posts because of what a number on a scale says... seriously... we judge ourselves much more harshly then anyone else would even consider doing. and if anyone else does - well they can take a flying leap - tell em I said that! :)

Just had a thought... if I'd lowered my goal to 163 I would be at goal...lol!!!

Coops, you don't know me, but I "know" you. I have seen our posts and always appreciate your point of view. I have never discounted what you have to say because you didn't reach some arbitrary goal. I think you are a major success, and the one thing keeping you from defining yourself that way might be you. Your body has made an executive decision. You are still fighting the good fight to override it, and that is incredibly admirable. I want you to be proud if yourself to your very core and if you would define yourself a success I believe everyone around you would as well.

Incidentally, as far as your Tummy Tuck goes, I have some before and after photos of my tummy tuck/thigh lift in the cosmetic section that might give you an idea of where you are headed. I am thrilled with my results. If you have any questions as you go through the process please PM me!

Mary

Hey you! You are at goal! Can't wait to hear more about your TT coming up! Then you will be below goal! Keep on smilin Skinny!

Coops, you don't know me, but I "know" you. I have seen our posts and always appreciate your point of view. I have never discounted what you have to say because you didn't reach some arbitrary goal. I think you are a major success, and the one thing keeping you from defining yourself that way might be you. Your body has made an executive decision. You are still fighting the good fight to override it, and that is incredibly admirable. I want you to be proud if yourself to your very core and if you would define yourself a success I believe everyone around you would as well.

Incidentally, as far as your Tummy Tuck goes, I have some before and after photos of my tummy tuck/thigh lift in the cosmetic section that might give you an idea of where you are headed. I am thrilled with my results. If you have any questions as you go through the process please PM me!

Mary

Thank you Mary... I appreciate your kind words.

I know I am being hard on myself in some ways, but it also stops me letting myself 'loose'!

I used to feel like a failure, but I have to say that I have turned the corner now and see myself as a complete success regardless of what the scales says... perhaps I should change my signature?!!

I might take you up on the offer of friendly advise post TT. My main concern is post op recovery... I have, at the moment, 4 weeks off work. I am hoping that will be enough.

I am also hoping that once the saggy baggy skin has gone and I start to look like I feel, I will have the confidence to get back to the gym!

Any handy hints would be gratefully received...

Hey you! You are at goal! Can't wait to hear more about your TT coming up! Then you will be below goal! Keep on smilin Skinny!

Skinny... you and Cheri are two of the main reasons I keep coming back! Thank you for always cheering me up and cheering me on...x

Coops' date=' you don't know me, but I "know" you. I have seen our posts and always appreciate your point of view. I have never discounted what you have to say because you didn't reach some arbitrary goal. I think you are a major success, and the one thing keeping you from defining yourself that way might be you. Your body has made an executive decision. You are still fighting the good fight to override it, and that is incredibly admirable. I want you to be proud if yourself to your very core and if you would define yourself a success I believe everyone around you would as well.

Mary

[/quote']

Thank you Mary... I appreciate your kind words.

I know I am being hard on myself in some ways, but it also stops me letting myself 'loose'!

I used to feel like a failure, but I have to say that I have turned the corner now and see myself as a complete success regardless of what the scales says... perhaps I should change my signature?!!

I might take you up on the offer of friendly advise post TT. My main concern is post op recovery... I have, at the moment, 4 weeks off work. I am hoping that will be enough.

I am also hoping that once the saggy baggy skin has gone and I start to look like I feel, I will have the confidence to get back to the gym!

Any handy hints would be gratefully received...

I will PM you with words of TT wisdom. Or at least the best I have!

I just now found this thread and feel compelled to join in. In the beginning, when I would hear others talk of a "honeymoon phase" (ie. window of opportunity post-op sleeve to lose the weight) I thought that was the silliest thing ever. Why would there be an expiration on losing weight, I thought. Well, indeed, for me personally, there was a window and it closed during my 4th month post-op. For my 4th month post-op I lost -2lbs. There is no denying that was rough. And before you go thinking I was eating ice cream or slacking off on exercise, quite the contrary was true. I was eating about 800-900 calories a day, mostly all Protein and a few veggies and had increased my working out from 3-4 days a week to 5-6. Basically I was following all of my post-op food/exercise guidelines to a "T" and was rewarded with a -2lb loss for an entire month.

Now of course I went on to lose more weight, but I truly felt like that was the beginning of the 'struggle'. I did eventually lose -100lbs in about an 18 month time frame. Which still didn't give me a "healthy" BMI. But I'm ok with that. My goal was never a number on the scale, a certain BMI, or a size in the clothing department, my goal was to reduce my risk factors for many obesity-related issues. So from that standpoint, I had reached my goal...getting healthier.

I've always been pretty good about exercise. Even when I was morbidly obese I still worked out 3x a week. And after the sleeve I upped that to 4-6x a week and at one point I went on some crazy exercise binges where I worked out every day for like 50 days at a time. At one point, I went back to work full-time and my workouts had it dropped down to 2x a week and now I'm more balanced at 5-6 days a week. I guess I didn't view exercise as "temporary" I view it as my "me" time. At first it was like a chore, you know laundry, dishes, exercise. But now it's more like a treat because I like the way I FEEL after I exercise. So even though I am 2.5 years post-op I'm not DONE exercising and God willing I never will be DONE exercising.

I am happy that there are fast losers here. I'm happy FOR them and happy to see and hear about their experiences. (And yeah, I used to get jealous) but we all have our own struggle. Whether we lose the weight fast, or slow, the whole thing is not a race, because there is NO FINISH LINE. Maintenance is for life.

And while I'm at it I will say this: there really is no expiration on losing weight.

I'm now just shy of 2.5 years post-op and I spent a good 9 months during my 2nd year putting on some regain weight. Anywhere from 15-20lbs of it. So I have rededicated myself to this journey and now since Jan. 1, 2013, I have lost -9lbs of that regain (that is 9lbs in 4 months and honestly that is about the rate that I gained weight.) That old saying "you didn't gain the weight overnight, and you aren't going to lose it overnight" yeah, well that is true. Again, true to form the weight isn't flying off, just because I'm tracking calories, drinking Water and exercising. So again, I have to have patience that I will eventually work off to where I was and then keep going to goal.

Coops is and always has been my hero also. She is my sleeve-sister...not because we share a sleeve date or anything but because we have both shared the struggle of losing slowly and keeping the faith going. She has done beautifully and I can't wait to see her post-TT success. And yes Coops, I think the time has come to change your ticker. Enjoy your journey my SS.

I just now found this thread and feel compelled to join in. In the beginning, when I would hear others talk of a "honeymoon phase" (ie. window of opportunity post-op sleeve to lose the weight) I thought that was the silliest thing ever. Why would there be an expiration on losing weight, I thought. Well, indeed, for me personally, there was a window and it closed during my 4th month post-op. For my 4th month post-op I lost -2lbs. There is no denying that was rough. And before you go thinking I was eating ice cream or slacking off on exercise, quite the contrary was true. I was eating about 800-900 calories a day, mostly all Protein and a few veggies and had increased my working out from 3-4 days a week to 5-6. Basically I was following all of my post-op food/exercise guidelines to a "T" and was rewarded with a -2lb loss for an entire month.

Now of course I went on to lose more weight, but I truly felt like that was the beginning of the 'struggle'. I did eventually lose -100lbs in about an 18 month time frame. Which still didn't give me a "healthy" BMI. But I'm ok with that. My goal was never a number on the scale, a certain BMI, or a size in the clothing department, my goal was to reduce my risk factors for many obesity-related issues. So from that standpoint, I had reached my goal...getting healthier.

I've always been pretty good about exercise. Even when I was morbidly obese I still worked out 3x a week. And after the sleeve I upped that to 4-6x a week and at one point I went on some crazy exercise binges where I worked out every day for like 50 days at a time. At one point, I went back to work full-time and my workouts had it dropped down to 2x a week and now I'm more balanced at 5-6 days a week. I guess I didn't view exercise as "temporary" I view it as my "me" time. At first it was like a chore, you know laundry, dishes, exercise. But now it's more like a treat because I like the way I FEEL after I exercise. So even though I am 2.5 years post-op I'm not DONE exercising and God willing I never will be DONE exercising.

I am happy that there are fast losers here. I'm happy FOR them and happy to see and hear about their experiences. (And yeah, I used to get jealous) but we all have our own struggle. Whether we lose the weight fast, or slow, the whole thing is not a race, because there is NO FINISH LINE. Maintenance is for life.

And while I'm at it I will say this: there really is no expiration on losing weight.

I'm now just shy of 2.5 years post-op and I spent a good 9 months during my 2nd year putting on some regain weight. Anywhere from 15-20lbs of it. So I have rededicated myself to this journey and now since Jan. 1, 2013, I have lost -9lbs of that regain (that is 9lbs in 4 months and honestly that is about the rate that I gained weight.) That old saying "you didn't gain the weight overnight, and you aren't going to lose it overnight" yeah, well that is true. Again, true to form the weight isn't flying off, just because I'm tracking calories, drinking Water and exercising. So again, I have to have patience that I will eventually work off to where I was and then keep going to goal.

Coops is and always has been my hero also. She is my sleeve-sister...not because we share a sleeve date or anything but because we have both shared the struggle of losing slowly and keeping the faith going. She has done beautifully and I can't wait to see her post-TT success. And yes Coops, I think the time has come to change your ticker. Enjoy your journey my SS.

M2G,

Sleeve sisters we are indeed... And you know I echo your kind words back to you!

You have often been my shining light at the end of a dark tunnel... I'm so pleased to see you back and sharing your amazing journey!

Hugs to you from across the pond!one day,we will 'do coffee'!

Slow here! Have not reached goal yet(my Doc would not set a goal either,I am going for the highest "normal" weight for my height), but on the slow boat and enjoying the view! I am taking the time to learn about my body, how it burns fat, makes muscles and loses pounds. I have not learned it all yet... but seem to be getting closer. lost 87 pounds, gained 18, stopped gaining, maintained and just this week... lost 3 pounds. Who knows if it will stay off, but I think at least part of it will. I have some idea why I gained. Trying not to repeat that... but we don't have control over everything in life. Thank you forum friends for all the continued support. Sorry I didn't see the vets forum sooner!