Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months out and Losing Steam

Hi! My name is Becky and I am new to this site. I honestly didn't even know that it existed until today, but I am so glad that I found it. I had sleeve surgery on October 24, 2012. At first I was so excited abou the surgery and lost 50 lbs in about 2 months! I am almost at my fill 3 months and I don't know what is going on. I feel like I a reverting to my old habits. This may be because I don't really have anyone to discuss this whole new lifestyle to, or maybe I am just destin to be the way I was. I don't know.

Everything that they say will make me sick (sugar, bread, high fat foods) does not make me sick! The only thing that makes me sick is the Vitamins I have to take.

I would think that people saying that I look great and they can tell I have lost weight would be enough, and it was, but now???

Does anyone else have any situation like this? I feel like a failure seeing that I am only 3 months out.

You are in a slump Don't let it get to you. we all go through them !! I am sure you arent eating like you used too there is no way you can sit and eat a whole pizza or a foot long sub etc. like I know I used too ! Nothing makes me sick either I just eat until I am full but I do make better choices becasue I want to make the most of it I didnt pay all this money to have me fail at it !! this is a tool but we need to use it wisely !! I have a few drinks now and then too but then again I cant have 5 to 6 I have maybe one and I am full just keep listening to your stomach it will get better and now you have the best resorce for answeard to anything any question you have, this website !!! It is amaaaaazing !! And you have a new family of support !! And before I forget YOU ARE AWESOME AMAAAAZING FANTASTIC for making this discision for yourself !!! It isnt easy AT ALL !! And it is different everyday but this is just a step stool tool !! You can do this and you already havce done such a great job 50 lbs is HUGE !! try going to the gym and lift 50 lbs that is how much is not on your body anymore that is FABULOUS!! Way to go and keep your chin up and stay positive !!

Hi Becky!

It's amazing, were you just inside my head?

I had surgery on Oct. 22. I've lost about 56 pounds. I also feel like I'm losing steam. However, yesterday I forgot my uniform at home and worked in my "normal" clothes. I got so many comments about my weight loss. That should keep me going.

For some reason I am avoiding the scale. Last time I checked I had not lost anymore weight. It really discouraged me. I have my 3 month check up soon. I've decided that I don't want to get on the scale until then. I hope that I will have a pleasant surprise.

Keep coming back, there is a lot of encouragement on this site.

Becky, are you active? I have found that I have feelings of doubt and start to get down on myself when I am inactive. Physical activity really helps lift my spirits and fuel my motivation. Just a nice walk everyday is great place to start!

Please don't give up on yourself, this is a process an it has its ups and downs- ride it out!

You and I were sleeved at about the same time (I was 10/22). Now that we're further out, we can pretty much eat what we want. It's one of the reasons I chose the sleeve over the band (too much hassle) or RNY (no more chocolate EVER). So yeah, when they bring in pizza, I let myself have a bite. Dessert? Just a little bit. Those moments are the exception, not the rule, though. They haven't made me sick, I didn't feel bad, but I can't let those things become my main source of food, if that makes sense. I *can* eat anything, but that doesn't mean that if I do, I'm making the right choices for me.

So many of us come in to this with a lifetime of food issues, from emotional/comfort eating, binging, addiction... and a lot of times it's easy to think that this surgery is going to fix all of that. Truth is, we need to fix ourselves first. I've said a lot of times that food is my enemy. I will always have to fight against it, because I've shown that I'm lousy at making good choices. For me, not eating bread and candy and junk food is my way of fighting that addiction. It's not that I'm not capable of eating it physically, it's just that mentally, it's my drug of choice.

The good and the bad is that with this surgery, we have choice. We aren't destined to be anything more than what we make of ourselves. Stick to what you know is right and it will work. Also, Gummy Vitamins are amazing, even if they're not the "best" for us. :D

Becky the surgery is just the beginning. The hard part starts once you are healed and are facing everything that you faced before surgery. Unfortunately the surgery doesn't do anything for what is going on in our heads. The cravings, the bad habits, the bad decisions that we all have made with regards to food, aren't going to magically go away. I know that I am probably not telling you anything that you don't already know. I wish that it was easier. I am sure we all do, but we have to play the hand that was dealt. I was so glad that I have had this surgery and to be frank, the I wish I was at goal weight today, but I know that if I seize the opportunity that I was given, I will do this. You have to reign in those bad habits, you have to stay active. Journal everything you eat, drink, do and think about. Go to your surgical support groups. If you went OOC, then enlist your PCP to help you with support. Make sure you are following the life plan your nutritionist gave you. It isn't a "maybe" kind of thing. I've dieted for 35 years, and there's not one diet that I haven't tried. This is just as hard as any other of those diets, there is no magic coming out of your surgeon's knife that is going to make this easy. Know it and accept it and put a plan together to build an whole new you. It won't be tomorrow, but it will happen. You just have to work the plan and plan the work. :) Take care!

Oh my goodness- Thank you so much everyone! I totally appreciate all of the help and encouragement that you have given me. I am too hard on myself- I know, but to know that you all took the time to boost me up and give a little advice and support is so appreciated!!